Vendee Globe 2020

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
Nice SEaster forecast for Cape Town this afternoon, so if Alex could tear himself away from HB and get over to Kite Beach on Bloubergstrand I'm sure someone would lend him some gear, or he could rent from any of the several shops there for a quick kiting session at my favorite beach.

nasil2nd

Anyone would be able to track the position of the Nivose with satellite AIS?

She is dark in normal AIS: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:6088964/mmsi:228746000/imo:0/vessel:NIVOSE
Its probably this one.

chrome_2020-12-05_15-49-52.png

This is the data of that ship, from AIS

{
            "LAT": "-40.92193",
            "LON": "54.69026",
            "SPEED": "10.1",
            "COURSE": "289",
            "HEADING": "289",
            "TYPE_IMG": "3",
            "TYPE_NAME": "Tugs & Special Craft",
            "STATUS_NAME": "Underway using Engine"
        }

In addition to helping a know nothing fan like me get a much better understanding of the race, I love that this forum has locals or people who have traveled extensively almost everywhere!  Like when someone suggested Alex T. visit albatross bar at Tristan de Cunha, an island I had never heard of, or when @littlechay was able to post pictures of the Vestas repair in the VOR thread because I think his brother was in the Falkland Islands. Awesome stuff. Thanks all. 

Nice SEaster forecast for Cape Town this afternoon, so if Alex could tear himself away from HB and get over to Kite Beach on Bloubergstrand I'm sure someone would lend him some gear, or he could rent from any of the several shops there for a quick kiting session at my favorite beach.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Sam hopes to complete the round the world voyage outside of the context of the race for her own benefit and for the children concerned by the 1 click=1 heart campaign. 28 children have so far been saved since the start of the Vendée Globe.

Source

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Could use a canting T-Foil instead of the Dali foils maybe.
T Foils requires flaps, moths, AC75 etc all have articulation, on a moth the loads are low enough this is mechanical, on an AC75 this requires electronics or hydraulics. Neither are permitted by the IMOCA rules which state the degrees of freedom an appendage can have. Without flaps you have no ride height / lift adjustment.

A canting T Foil would likely require hydraulic control to cant, which as a "not a keel" appendage is not permitted under the IMOCA rules, now if you could overcome the limitations of a fixed T foil to provide variable lift, maybe you could somehow work out a T foil as a bulb, but that too is controlled in various rules on density and weight etc, and doesn't get around the problem of how to control ride height (can't telescope) or stop foiling.

Basically its probably in the too hard basket.

mathystuff

Anarchist
Basically its probably in the too hard basket.
Probably.

You'd have to cant it to leeward enough for its tip to break the surface. At that point it would work basically the same as the current foils.

Wasn't there a mini trying this? Whatever happened to that boat?

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Probably.

You'd have to cant it to leeward enough for its tip to break the surface. At that point it would work basically the same as the current foils.

Wasn't there a mini trying this? Whatever happened to that boat?
Which can't happen because the axis of the keel is controlled I believe (and you can't have another canting appendage, only the keel).

Mini wise the active foilers are Arkea which had short stubby T's which telescoped and I believe canted, a wing mast an an articulating extending bow sprit, theres Chaffoil with twin canting telescoping stubby T's and did very well this year and last, and there is @Coconuts.is Verdier plan mini with twin canting telescoping Ts. There was also another which I haven't seen active and the company pivoted to foiling ribs.

Latest posts