Vendee Globe 2020

J_Grove

Biscayne Bay
When plotting courses for these boats, do the navigator(s) take the eddies of the ACC into account? Would seem that 1-2 knot current is a non-factor when the wind is blowing 30-40 knots, but maybe at low wind speeds? 

currents.JPG

wind.JPG

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Been gone for several days, Two days of futile racing in light to zero winds followed up two and half days of work.  All of which conspire to interfere with my hacknavigation.

Two things I notice.  The update rankings seem to nearly always state a dubious boat heading. The numbers posted below are based on four hourly updates of lat/lon to lat/lon so averaged out (except 2100 to 0400). Not sure how the vendee are calculating the headings.

Second is that Louis Burton is going to be very busy over the next 12 hours or so!

Vendee20.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
35 minutes ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Isabelle eats the southern ocean for breakfast:

I am loving the tenacity of this sailor.  She is making smart decisions, pushing her comfort zone and now is hanging, if not eating away at at those ahead.  If she can keep it all together past this seemingly confused section of ocean I could see her start to slowly move up again.  It is not a sprint and she gets it.

As to that breakfast...not so sure.

ant1

When plotting courses for these boats, do the navigator(s) take the eddies of the ACC into account? Would seem that 1-2 knot current is a non-factor when the wind is blowing 30-40 knots, but maybe at low wind speeds?
Right now from what I gather the head is trying to get through the hellish conditions (strong squals, big nasty crossed seas) the indian ocean is throwing at them, without breaking the boat or themselves... intense.

Edit: In very low wind speeds / lulls I'd think they take everything into account

Last edited by a moderator:

cortosam

nantes, France
Too bad Caudrelier has never had the opportunity to set a proper Vendée Globe project, but good for the Ocean race :)

was interesting the insights he gave on the first victory by Cammas on the Volvo on how some sailors of Groupama team mistrust Franck Cammas and didnt want to obey him meanwhile he was the skipper and by far a better sailor than anybody else in every aspects of the sailing.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Benjamin explained in his last interview that it is because of the arrival of a last minute sponsor (OMIA) in September that he was able to by SOME new sails (so I assume that some of his sails are still not new for this race). He also explained that the new sails really changed the performance of the boat, and he is still learning how and when to hold back, and when to be on the attack.
Burton has sails that went around last edition with Armel. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
When plotting courses for these boats, do the navigator(s) take the eddies of the ACC into account? Would seem that 1-2 knot current is a non-factor when the wind is blowing 30-40 knots, but maybe at low wind speeds
That's a free ride of 5 - 10% boatspeed at 20k and not against the wind so better sea state. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Very interesting but it's not a thread to the vendee globe fleet. Nearest island, southern Georgia Island, has no known permanent inhabitants.
This one uninhabited ahead St Paul and looks inviting for a rest and fix things....it's not.

Think water depth at entrance at a craters 'edge' and when inside water depth 'inside' a crater. 

images - 2020-12-07T193146.664.jpeg

J_Grove

Biscayne Bay
That's a free ride of 5 - 10% boatspeed at 20k and not against the wind so better sea state. 
Yes knowing how they must try to squeeze every bit of speed out it seems reasonable even if of very secondary importance to wind. But listening to race reports, reading Herman's and other posts, etc never heard/saw it mentioned. The data from altimeters that measures the SSH may be up to a few days old depending on position relative to satellite ground track and orbit, but there's numerical ocean models that constantly assimilate this data and update surface current ocean product. I would think these teams with high dollar budgets would be tapping into something like that.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Has there ever been so many podium contenders so close to each other at this stage in the race?

20201209_161839.jpg

I don't know how's in third?

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Yes knowing how they must try to squeeze every bit of speed out it seems reasonable even if of very secondary importance to wind. But listening to race reports, reading Herman's and other posts, etc never heard/saw it mentioned. The data from altimeters that measures the SSH may be up to a few days old depending on position relative to satellite ground track and orbit, but there's numerical ocean models that constantly assimilate this data and update surface current ocean product. I would think these teams with high dollar budgets would be tapping into something like that.
Not high end. All routing programs can accommodate current or tide data and it's importance depends on postcode.

It's is also computed in the navigators head as they do twice daily for wind models versus their metrologic thinking and from what they see looking out the window and at their barometer.

The Southern Ocean where current largely follows the prevailing winds generally less so for routing other than say areas of short term extreme wind where the two may run counter to each other, so a place to avoid for sea state reasons as I noted. Micro decisions on current guided more by real time data derived on board ie. COG and SOG versus BS and Magnetic Course than a current model.

Sitting on current or the magic carpet say lift you towards a weather target WP down the track for free and still be maxing out polars through the water is worth its weight in gold. 

The reason it is not mentioned by those running routing programs here is they probably don't have a current/tide model loaded and certainly don't have access to real time data.

Varan

Super Anarchist
I liked "Caudrelier has found it fascinating watching the race unfold and how well the older boats have done while many of the newest foilers have had trouble. He makes a very interesting point, that this Vendée Globe is underlining that the nature of the sailor on board is generally more important in terms of performance than the nature of the boat he or she is sailing."

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
the nature of the sailor on board is generally more important in terms of performance than the nature of the boat he or she is sailing."
That fuckwit Pieter Heerema in last edition with an expensive & rare new foiler proved that.

He blamed everything except himself. He had B&G being shit instruments before Les Sables had disappeared over the horizon behind him.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Beyou has caught the backmarkers, but is struggling to pass them, surely should be significantly faster in basically the same conditions.
Yeah I have been watching that. Jeremie has been really slow in comparison to the boats ahead of him. I wonder if Jeremie believes he is just going through the motions? The question of how  many boats he can pass at around 30% of the race  is really up to him?

Latest posts