Vendee Globe 2020

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
I've been watching Clarisse and Roman just hanging on to the back edge of the front.  Slowly picking up miles on those in the main pack.  Still a day or more behind, but ... can they join the party?  Is there any routing that says they can?  By guess-timating future positions and advancing the forecast it looks to me that they need to work south, but I don't have Expedition or any routing brain power.handy.  

WindySurfer

New England
I've been watching Clarisse and Roman just hanging on to the back edge of the front.  Slowly picking up miles on those in the main pack.  Still a day or more behind, but ... can they join the party?
By similar guestimation it appears Tripon's low might bring him up to Clarisse and Romain.  The lead group has certainly had brutal seas on their trip past Kerguelen.  This has forced them to the longer road in the north even as the lower AEZ in that area opened a short cut to the south.  Will be interesting to see if any of Tripon, Clarisse, or Romain can take the short cut.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
L'Occitane was built by Black Pepper Yachts in Nantes : https://blackpepper.fr/en/home-english/
Hull and deck were built by Pauger, finished by Black Pepper.
Was Pauger start before L'Occitane money arrived.

https://www.paugercarbon.com/portfolio-item/flying-imoca-60/

IMOCA_2019_JokaGemesi_BIG_page-0001-scaled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulK

Super Anarchist
By similar guestimation it appears Tripon's low might bring him up to Clarisse and Romain.  The lead group has certainly had brutal seas on their trip past Kerguelen.  This has forced them to the longer road in the north even as the lower AEZ in that area opened a short cut to the south.  Will be interesting to see if any of Tripon, Clarisse, or Romain can take the short cut.
Sodebo, doing the Trophée Jules Verne, has opted for the short cut south of the Kerguelens. Working for them so far...

Varan

Super Anarchist
"Racing under triple reefed main and for much of the time no headsail at all, or a tiny storm jib, the solo skipper of Apivia saw gusts to 55kts and huge seas through the small hours of last night."

But further back, the future looks bright...

lo.jpg

More in Sail-World.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Racing under triple reefed main and for much of the time no headsail at all, or a tiny storm jib, the solo skipper of Apivia saw gusts to 55kts and huge seas through the small hours of last night."
Look at vid....putting aside imagery flattens sea state... he was sailing very flat, comfortable and quick. 

At 0.30

Varan

Super Anarchist
21 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Look at vid....putting aside imagery flattens sea state... he was sailing very flat, comfortable and quick. 

At 0.30

Smart.

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
View attachment 413241

Look at conditions in photo needed to access the shallow narrow break in crater wall.

And bring 800 feet of anchor rode rope not chain.  

View attachment 413243
There was some discussion about bringing Tomy Abhilash's boat there by the Indian Navy after his rescue in the GGR, but was deemed impractical...

He was dropped off at nearby Il Amsterdam Island (49nm away) by the French Fisheries Patrol ship Osiris, and later picked up by an Indian Navy destroyer.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/golden-globe-race-all-efforts-made-to-rescue-commander-abhilash-tomy/articleshow/65909618.cms?from=mdr

The suitable anchorage at St Paul is hard by the beach in the extreme NE corner of the caldera. There had been a French lobster canning factory operating there (some remains still present) which gained some infamy when some employees volunteered to stay in the off season but were essentially abandoned by the company's owner and left to starve. Would think the French folks here could speak to that more as it was a big deal, and a movie or two have been made since.

https://www.discoverfrance.net/Colonies/St-Paul_Amsterdam.shtml

https://medium.com/tycho-s-moose/the-forgotten-of-saint-paul-island-decd2b6ef15e

The scandal of “Les Oubliés de l’Île Saint Paul” continues to haunt the inhabitants of the Breton fishing town of Concarneau. One of the survivors, Julien Le Huludut, is buried in the town’s cemetery. A plaque on the sea front, overlooking the harbour, commemorates them. An identical one was placed on l’Île Saint Paul in 2015.

Saint-Paul-la-langousterie-en-1931-2.jpg

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
That fuckwit Pieter Heerema in last edition with an expensive & rare new foiler proved that.

He blamed everything except himself. He had B&G being shit instruments before Les Sables had disappeared over the horizon behind him.
Can’t  figure Pieter out.  After only a short Q&A with Desjoyeaux, decides to do a VG?  Lot of miles at sea but never soloed?   
14 months to get his shit together & train?   Then casually throws out that he was understaffed from the start? Yet prolly could afford to hire 3x as many staff as anyone. In his own words he said most shoreside crew thought he was nuts.  

With all his resources you would think he would plan a 5 year program for 2020. Maybe at 65 thought it now/never time?

Rogue adventurer makes good.   Gotta hand it to him...and nobody died.  Got some sailing chops to pull that one off.

One Wild Ride for Mr Heerema.   Very interesting character.  

Good interview by Florian - who says he stepping up to a 40 next season.  Thinking of a VG attempt himself.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
..One Wild Ride for Mr Heerema - Very interesting character.  
Do interesting characters and families name a new addition to their fleet servicing the oil/gas sector after an officer in the Waffen SS and convicted war criminal 'Pieter Schelte' Then have it arrive in Rotterdam at the time of the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz? 

After public outcry and threat of contract closure by Shell, the name was finally changed to 'Pioneering Spirit' but preserving the initials.

Scheltes full name was Pieter Schelte Heerema.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Do interesting characters and families name a new addition to their oil/gas sector servicing fleet after an officer in the Waffen SS and convicted war criminal 'Pieter Schelte' and have it arrive in Rotterdam just before the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz? 

After threat of contract closure by Shell the name was changed to 'Pioneering Spirit' preserving the initials.

Scheltes full name was Pieter Schelte Heerema.
I wasn’t going to touch that one.  It’s a f*ucked up world right now & Waffen SS is last thing I wanna flog.

Family sheit just don’t go away.  I hear ya.

This was the ex-wifeys “Uncle Larry” who showed up at our wedding:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-feb-15-me-rawl15-story.html%3f_amp=true

He & my old man were WWll  Marine vets.  They downed a bucket of beers & had some laughs.   Wifey wouldn’t accept Exxon shares present. That was a ‘fun family moment’.

“I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.”

-- Mark Twain