Vendee Globe 2020

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
JLC.jpg

oioi

Super Anarchist

Cool video from louis burton.

Interesting he talks about repairs to his mast and mainsail. I hadn't seen any reports regarding these issues? Only information about autopilot problems.  He seems happy. Anybody seen further information?

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
"Racing under triple reefed main and for much of the time no headsail at all, or a tiny storm jib, the solo skipper of Apivia saw gusts to 55kts and huge seas through the small hours of last night."
Well got that rough ride for Dalin right it seems - he can relax a bit more now, but not too much.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
There was some discussion about bringing Tomy Abhilash's boat there by the Indian Navy after his rescue in the GGR, but was deemed impractical...

He was dropped off at nearby Il Amsterdam Island (49nm away) by the French Fisheries Patrol ship Osiris, and later picked up by an Indian Navy destroyer.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/golden-globe-race-all-efforts-made-to-rescue-commander-abhilash-tomy/articleshow/65909618.cms?from=mdr

The suitable anchorage at St Paul is hard by the beach in the extreme NE corner of the caldera. There had been a French lobster canning factory operating there (some remains still present) which gained some infamy when some employees volunteered to stay in the off season but were essentially abandoned by the company's owner and left to starve. Would think the French folks here could speak to that more as it was a big deal, and a movie or two have been made since.

https://www.discoverfrance.net/Colonies/St-Paul_Amsterdam.shtml

https://medium.com/tycho-s-moose/the-forgotten-of-saint-paul-island-decd2b6ef15e

The scandal of “Les Oubliés de l’Île Saint Paul” continues to haunt the inhabitants of the Breton fishing town of Concarneau. One of the survivors, Julien Le Huludut, is buried in the town’s cemetery. A plaque on the sea front, overlooking the harbour, commemorates them. An identical one was placed on l’Île Saint Paul in 2015.

View attachment 413246
Nice background of this God forsaken place to read when I find time!

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Weather update

So Dalin and his boat survived that cold front passing last night. Now calmer weather projected as the front moves away. Nice reaching conditions. See pics 1 and 2 for IR clouds and ECMWF wind/pressure. Moderate Tropical Storm Bongoyo is projected by the Mauritius Met Service to move SE. If it goes more south it could impact the back end of the fleet, so I've plotted it. The LP coming down +/- Friday between Australia and the AEZ can be seen top left of Australia.

Sea is calming down a bit to 4 meters (pic 3).

As my weather routing just crashed 3 times in a row, I'll skip the routing for today.

ECMWF 101220.jpg

Infrared 101220.jpg

WAves WW3 101220.png

JLC talks to Seguin via VHF. Plenty of info there. There are french subtitles, auto-translate should work.

Last edited by a moderator:

cortosam

nantes, France
Weather update

So Dalin and his boat survived that cold front passing last night. Now calmer weather projected as the front moves away. Nice reaching conditions. See pics 1 and 2 for IR clouds and ECMWF wind/pressure. Moderate Tropical Storm Bongoyo is projected by the Mauritius Met Service to move SE. If it goes more south it could impact the back end of the fleet, so I've plotted it. The LP coming down +/- Friday between Australia and the AEZ can be seen top left of Australia.

Sea is calming down a bit to 4 meters (pic 3).

As my weather routing just crashed 3 times in a row, I'll skip the routing for today.

View attachment 413292

View attachment 413293

View attachment 413294
Thx Herman for your posts !

minca3

Yeah I have been watching that. Jeremie has been really slow in comparison to the boats ahead of him. I wonder if Jeremie believes he is just going through the motions? The question of how  many boats he can pass at around 30% of the race  is really up to him?
I guess he is facing the same situation that JD/TR are: the non foiling Omia is a laughable 340nm back after ... how many weeks of racing? 4? 5?

The announced incredible speed bump for the latest gen of foilers is not materializing, how good is a boat design that only shows its advantage in conditions that are almost never encountered during the whole VG?

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Weather routing part two

Fixed the plugin, I was too curious how it looks now the top-8 have relatively better conditions. All boats doing +/- 14-17 kts again. Only Ruyant has significant lower boatspeed. He has less pressure and wind compared to the others. And I'm not sure if he is sailing currently on the bow with the broken foil too. 

Interesting to see, again, that the fleet is projected to converge behind Dalin. See pic 1 with all 8 routes. If zooming into the Saturday projection in pic 2, you can see 7 boats parallel chasing Dalin who is close to the AEZ. The pack converging can be seen too in the routing table in pic 3.

But when comparing that table to the older table for Dec 7th, Dalin will expand his lead over Ruyant (delta 4 hrs @ dec 7) and the others (delta 13 hrs @ dec 7) significantly to 18-19 hrs roughly. This opens up possibilities for Dalin to sail in different weather. And as always, the rich get richer. 

Convergence 101220.png Inte

GFS Saturday 101220.jpg

Weather routeing table 101220.png

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
There was some discussion about bringing Tomy Abhilash's boat there by the Indian Navy after his rescue in the GGR, but was deemed impractical...

He was dropped off at nearby Il Amsterdam Island (49nm away) by the French Fisheries Patrol ship Osiris, and later picked up by an Indian Navy destroyer.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/golden-globe-race-all-efforts-made-to-rescue-commander-abhilash-tomy/articleshow/65909618.cms?from=mdr

The suitable anchorage at St Paul is hard by the beach in the extreme NE corner of the caldera. There had been a French lobster canning factory operating there (some remains still present) which gained some infamy when some employees volunteered to stay in the off season but were essentially abandoned by the company's owner and left to starve. Would think the French folks here could speak to that more as it was a big deal, and a movie or two have been made since.

https://www.discoverfrance.net/Colonies/St-Paul_Amsterdam.shtml

https://medium.com/tycho-s-moose/the-forgotten-of-saint-paul-island-decd2b6ef15e

The scandal of “Les Oubliés de l’Île Saint Paul” continues to haunt the inhabitants of the Breton fishing town of Concarneau. One of the survivors, Julien Le Huludut, is buried in the town’s cemetery. A plaque on the sea front, overlooking the harbour, commemorates them. An identical one was placed on l’Île Saint Paul in 2015.

View attachment 413246
Reminds me of a more detailed account of this mission to St Paul. I haven't yet found it on google yet, but here's a brief outline I found from facebook - "The island itself is a collapsed volcanic caldera, accessible via a shallow bar. The interior of the caldera is said to be crawling with southern fighter crayfish and pre WWII the French operated a cray fishing operation there. Following the outbreak of WWII the dozen men who manned this operation were stranded on St Paul's for the duration of the war. Over the next six years all but one man succumbed to the effects of scurvy. The island then remained abandoned for the next several decades, visited infrequently by French patrol boats.
This changed when a couple of enterprising individuals from West Australia decided to re establish a cray fishery on the island. The only problem was they had no license from the French government to do so and nor did they ever apply for one. They were going in totally illegally, as poachers.
So, this incident is not something we condone or are attempting to glorify but it is a very interesting story of (illegal) adventure.
They purchased a large, aft wheelhouse steel vessel called the Miss Boomerang as well as a number of small, 20-30 ft ex cray boats from West Australia powered by water jets which they craned on to the front deck for the long steam to St Paul's. Upon arrival they craned these small vessels into the water and began fishing for crays.
Having been untouched for the best part of forty years the waters around the island swarmed with crayfish. Every pot came up full with crays which were stored on deck until they overflowed the gunnels at which point the catcher boats returned to the mother vessel and unloaded their crays by cargo net onto the deck of Miss Boomerang. Soon a mountain of crayfish covered the deck and our poaching friends worked around the clock to tail every lobster and freeze them down in the hold. One rumour puts their results at forty ton of cray flesh for ten days fishing with 100 pots.
Upon filling the Miss Boomerang the catcher vessels were simply sunk and the Miss Boomerang sailed for Singapore to sell its ill gotten cargo, which was a very profitable pay day indeed.
Encouraged by the success of their criminal venture they launched another raid the year afterwards but with a different mother ship called approppriately enough, Southern Raider. Unfortunately for them things didn't go as well on the second raid. There are conflicting stories about what happened. One story has it that French intelligence were informed of their activities in Singapore and became curious as to where they caught all that cray flesh. Another story has it that it was purely by coincidence that a French vessel stumbled across the Southern Raider, detecting it on radar as she lay just offshore the island awaiting her catcher boats. According to this story Southern Raider also detected the French patrol vessel on radar and attempted to flee to the safety of international waters before the French could catch her. An act which was rather unappreciated by the abandoned catcher boat crew...
Southern Raider off course was too slow to out run the French patrol boat which apprehended the vessel and crew upon boarding her. The French quickly deducing what was happening jailed the whole crew aboard their patrol boat and promptly sunk the Southern Raider out of hand. No messing around.
The catcher boat crew were rounded up afterwards and everybody hauled off to Mauritius, or St Reunion, I'm not to sure. The crew were actually released and deported back to Australia quite quickly but the vessel master was detained for some months awaiting trial upon the French island, during which time he was allowed free reign of the island. Here the story takes another interesting twist. One day he simply disappeared while windsurfing. An air and sea search was launched but no trace was found off him. Sometime later he reappeared home in Australia. The story go's he arranged to be picked up by friends on a sailing boat and faked his disappearance to the French.
Nowadays the French maintain a fishery of their own on St Pauls to deter any more would be adventurers/poachers. The island is also home to greenlip abalone.
There is said to be video footage existing somewhere of the Miss Boomerang's activities at St Paul"

Latest posts