Vendee Globe 2020

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Tripon on fantastic latest generation boat struggling to reel in non-foiling boats (Clarisse is currently keeping him at bay)
If you zoom out beyond the last few days that isn't an accurate characterisation of Tripon's performance. Also worth bearing in mind that whilst the scow is pretty innovative, the project came together pretty late in the day and so hasn't had the luxury of 20 years of optimisation (cf Pip)

cortosam

nantes, France
Such a contrast of Tripon and Hare. Tripon on fantastic latest generation boat struggling to reel in non-foiling boats (Clarisse is currently keeping him at bay), while Hare on oldest boat in fleet is reeling in two foilers. What a bizarre race.
Each new refresh on the website , i hope to see Armel banging at 23 knots of average speed and overtaking everybody :)

ct800

--
Here's Boris hanging on for dear life, at 33-34 knots of boat speed. Pushing the buttons hard.

Video timestamped at 2:50

staysail

Super Anarchist
Funny that as soon as we see someone has a boat which suddenly appears to be a step-change faster, we see lots of followers on SA are suddenly rooting for him. Isn't it a bit like the huge following Alex had in his last few attempts he has made with Imoca races and all the hype around his boats? Sure Armel is going great and has the personality and good luck to him. I cetainly hope he doesn't break his boat!
Before the start I reckoned HB would not finish, I thought Apivia was favourite to win, and I didn't think L'Occitane had been on the water long enough to be reliable, but the VG is never easy to predict.
The one who's performance so far has impressed me the most by far is Yannick. Few people, me included, would have had him leading this race for so long. He doesn't have a new boat or a big budget as far as I know. Yannick first impressed me with his winning of the Mini-Transat back in 2001, and he suffered a major setback with an early dismasting in the 2008 VG, but his ability as a sailor was clear in Class 40, and i think its great to see him where he is right now.

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Herman's analysis sure looks ugly for the leaders at Cape Horn.  Heavy winds and seas all the way from the shoreline to the ice limit.

Tripon might find himself rounding in milder and faster conditions after having closed the margin even more on the leaders, while the leaders may be exhausted and coping with repairs.

Beyou's conditions also look like relatively pleasant fast sailing.

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
Ice limits are not new, but maybe more restrictive this time. Still, I think the weather has contributed way more to the boat placements we are seeing than the AEZ. No one was able to break away on the initial push south and grab the first runaway train. By the time the AEZ came into play, there was still a large group of boats (>30%) leading the way.
La Niña driven southern ocean weather patterns are the issue.  Freight train of trade winds doesn’t exist in the usual places.

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Dalin has had a superb 24 hours doing 463 nm to Bestaven's 345. But I like Bestaven's southern position as this next system drops down on them. I feel sorry for the peleton, they might struggle.

Pip Hare is quite something in the English Daily, very impressive.

I've read so many accounts of rounding the horn in rough weather, it's not a place I ever want to be. A few years back I had a chat with Jeanne Socrates on her boat in Simonstown in South Africa after one of her failed attempts having been knocked down at the horn. She is as tough as nails, and of course had a slow boat and was not racing, but she said it was terrifying.

cortosam

nantes, France
Honestly i'm impressed by Dalin so far, seems to make few mistakes and able to push very hard when needed, his average speed is impressive right now.

Reguarding Armel, maybe he's currently got issues ? He's much slower than Clarisse in weather conditions that should perfectly suits his boat.

triumph72

Boris was worried he was going too fast presses a button and the boat slows down; I assume that's some autopilot setting adjusting the heading and sail trim? 

I'm just a dinghy sailor so it's beyond me, If I go too fast I fall in.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Boris was worried he was going too fast presses a button and the boat slows down; I assume that's some autopilot setting adjusting the heading and sail trim? 

I'm just a dinghy sailor so it's beyond me, If I go too fast I fall in.
Pretty certain thats the B&G autopilot remote control, and he'd be adjusting a setting most likely desired wind angle bearing away a touch. You don't use heading mode that often on autopilot on boats like these (he commented on it as an unusual thing when in the light stuff that he did to keep the boat going straight) and all sail trim is manual.

troll99

Anarchist
Searched and found icelimit for Vendee 2016. No much difference, I see. Quite odd weather this year.

Nice to dig in the history of 2016 in the excellent thread

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/showthread.php?4547-2016-2017-Vendee-Globe/page13

76841582898933220268.jpg

90063701409514819056.jpg

00869127842689215970.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

triumph72

Pretty certain thats the B&G autopilot remote control, and he'd be adjusting a setting most likely desired wind angle bearing away a touch. You don't use heading mode that often on autopilot on boats like these (he commented on it as an unusual thing when in the light stuff that he did to keep the boat going straight) and all sail trim is manual.
Thank you, that is interesting. I guess Boris will adjust the sail trim once the boat has settled on it's new angle. 

Tylo

Sweden
4 hours ago, ct800 said:

Here's Boris hanging on for dear life, at 33-34 knots of boat speed. Pushing the buttons hard.

Video timestamped at 2:50

That is pretty bloody alarming through a computer screen, can't imagine what it's like in real life but his eyes say a lot; they go from pretty tired-looking at 2:20 to as if he's seen a ghost at 2:50.

Latest posts