Vendee Globe 2020

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
100k€/year for a boat captain seems way overestimated. I think a senior engineer / NavArch (10+ years experience) would make about half of that tops.

Top of the notch pair of foils is 500/600 k€. This of course doesn't include the boat modifications.

I would also be very surprised if Pip even considered new foils... What would be the point for her? You can see that the other low-cost campaigns that went that way (Roura, Boissières) are not benefiting from the foils at all.
Pretty far off the mark on what a senior engineer’s salary is. Here in the U.S, mid career/entry level senior engineers start around the $100k Euro mark ($125k USD). True senior level engineers can often be north of $200k/yr. I know plenty on the software side making north of $200k Euro/year, some without formal degrees.

I would wager that an experienced naval architect like Verdier is probably making closer to $500k/year, AC campaigns and $600k foils cost what they do for a reason...

I’m also reasonably confident some of the TP52 boat captains are pulling in 6 figures, so I would not at all be surprised if the top VG teams had similar salaries for their employees.

Finally, I suspect you could back out some of these numbers based on the campaign costs published by some teams (HB’s is pretty well known), an estimate of team size and estimate of boat cost. The latter is a big variable, IIRC, 8million GBP seems about right for a foiling IMOCA, five or take a million or 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Pretty far off the mark on what a senior engineer’s salary is. Here in the U.S, mid career/entry level senior engineers start around the $100k Euro mark ($125k USD). True senior level engineers can often be north of $200k/yr. I know plenty on the software side making north of $200k Euro/year, some without formal degrees.

I would wager that an experienced naval architect like Verdier is probably making closer to $500k/year, AC campaigns and $600k foils cost what they do for a reason...

I’m also reasonably confident some of the TP52 boat captains are pulling in 6 figures, so I would not at all be surprised if the top VG teams had similar salaries for their employees.

Finally, I suspect you could back out some of these numbers based on the campaign costs published by some teams (HB’s is pretty well known), an estimate of team size and estimate of boat cost. The latter is a big variable, IIRC, 8million GBP seems about right for a foiling IMOCA, five or take a million or 2.
US salaries are generally higher than euro salaries, especially software ones, it is not a good bench mark. A senior software engineer in London which pre-brexit was one of the top tech places in the EU will earn 60-90k GBP (80-125k USD). I would expect other engineering disciplines to be similar ballparks in the EU. Yes there are outliers, but thats the typically advertised rate.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Sorry--checked the thread twice, and waited a few minutes.

btw, wanted to ask you if the chances of hitting something might factor into the leaders choosing a West or East option? Seems either side in this part of the Atlantic is a lottery, but maybe the chance of hitting a UFO one side or the other might hedge the routing bets for the leaders.

West has the counter current and fishing boat hazards and {?}; east looks like it might be like a  . . .St Helena garbage patch, or whale route?

Or . . . just the usual roulette for the fleet?  

(pardon the muddled question . .  chewbacca bikinis are a distraction)
I have seen very little in the way of UFOs either way. But this time of year the West option has plenty of fishing vessels to negotiate both honest and legal inside the EEzs and high seas bandits outside the EEZs .. Close to the Brazil coast there are lot of nets and longlines usually with strobes on but you have to be awake to see them! 

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
I went, mostly, off-grid on the boat from the 24th Dec. until yesterday and got back to find my scraper script no longer worked as the VG website has had a major overhaul. Anyway it is fixed now. For those that missed it, I made a Python script to scrape the position reports into Expedition tracking format and later added a GPX file output to it too. Updated version is on Github now. Littlechay/vendee-scraper: web scraper for vendee globe 2020 - output file for Expedition software (github.com)

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany

I can see eyebrows raising to unprecedented heights in Port-La Foret and Lorient, they probably can't figure this is even foreseeable.

P-S: on the other hand when they make 10k it costs 20k to the team.

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK

Well, I am a French naval architect with 13 years experience in the south of the UK. I know a fair amount of navarchs in the UK and the west of France with the same sort of experience. We all make around €50k/year.

90% of the IMOCA campaigns are based in Britanny (you know that part of the world that is NOT in the US).

troll99

Anarchist
15 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Now it is a real fear. It is what I mean. 

Easy to push fear away when adrenaline kicks in and get going during the South Ocean. Relaxing earlier once exited SO and get back to reality.

troll99

Anarchist

Well, I am a French naval architect with 13 years experience in the south of the UK. I know a fair amount of navarchs in the UK and the west of France with the same sort of experience. We all make around €50k/year.

90% of the IMOCA campaigns are based in Britanny (you know that part of the world that is NOT in the US).
not forget European income tax 50% more or less

qmYDGpyNSsHPKEHCJqSI2bl0ycSZbGO2_te-326vwII.jpg

troll99

Anarchist
Highest rate of income tax, generally levied on the highest earners. I doubt many boat captains would fall in that bracket...
true, i think this pic gives a better picture. In some countries, employers still pay 30% taxes on wages. Add social costs and income taxes for employees.

Payroll_and_income_tax_by_country.png

Okay, change in topic.  I just want to know how they go about taking a leak when all geared up (Southern Ocean style).  I *know* when I'm offshore and in my foulies it's not fun stripping down enough to take a wizz, neve mind dropping a log in the head.  It's a real Pain In The A$$ to undress just to ....

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Isabelle hit an OFNI "with the foil. So, a small part of the foil broke off." She (and we) hopes the damage isn't too bad.