Vendee Globe 2020

troll99

Anarchist
isabelle in 30kt winds .. not good! 

Untitled-2.jpg

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Interesting departure timing for Team HB, relative to the fleet's position.  They're close to the same latitude as the leaders.  They'll need to work some downwind angles, so I'm guessing they'll pass by Fernando de Noronha in some kind of "competitive but behind" position...  Like maybe in the gap between Tripon and the pack ahead of him...  Fully crewed, they may then be able to put on a show of blowing through the fleet.  I'm having trouble deciding if that would be good marketing or a dick move..  Either way, I guess my point is that I'm wondering if their departure timing relative to the fleet's position was random coincidence or not.

Or...  Maybe they'll be sailing fully in delivery mode and I'm totally wrong about this.

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
More details here :

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/21588/isabelle-joschke-le-coup-dur

Isabelle was sailing in 30/35 knots when the fake hydraulic ram broke, meaning the keel is free to move, which is not safe. This led to a small water ingress.

Alain Gautier, team manager said:

Isabelle is currently working on the issue. She has to keep moving forward to manage the sea state and avoid too much water ingress. The problem is that shed is sailing in the same direction as the low pressure and that conditions will worsen in the night. Tomorrow, when the wind changes, she should be able to head towards the NE to get away from the LP with an easier seastate that will ease things.

It is clear that Isabelle cannot continue and will have to retire. We are in permanently in touch and are looking at the options for the next few days.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Interesting departure timing for Team HB, relative to the fleet's position.  They're close to the same latitude as the leaders.  They'll need to work some downwind angles, so I'm guessing they'll pass by Fernando de Noronha in some kind of "competitive but behind" position...  Like maybe in the gap between Tripon and the pack ahead of him...  Fully crewed, they may then be able to put on a show of blowing through the fleet.  I'm having trouble deciding if that would be good marketing or a dick move..  Either way, I guess my point is that I'm wondering if their departure timing relative to the fleet's position was random coincidence or not.

Or...  Maybe they'll be sailing fully in delivery mode and I'm totally wrong about this.
Hmm. Good point. I was just glad to get a hint they are moving forward with training.

"For us, the next three weeks provide a very good opportunity to get some more miles under our belts and to learn even more about this beautiful boat and what she’s capable of."

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/21590/additional-keel-ram-damage-for-isabelle-joschke-macsf-who-has-abandoned-her-vendee-globe

Additional keel ram damage for Isabelle Joschke (MACSF) who has abandoned her Vendée Globe

The Franco-German skipper Isabelle Joschke has been forced to abandon her Vendée Globe on the 62nd day of racing after a further failure of the keel canting system on board her IMOCA MACSF.
Joschke was lying racing in 11th place racing in difficult conditions, in 30-35 knots of wind in the South Atlantic some 1100 miles east of the Argentinian coast.
During the late afternoon today Saturday 9th January Joschke realised that the hydraulic cylinder which was holding her keel centred had failed. After the main keel canting system failed on January 3rd she had been sailing with the keel centred, held in place by this replacement ram. But the keel is no longer held centred. She immediately lowered the mainsail and was sailing under storm jib to keep the boat as stable as possible.  

Alain Gautier, MACSF team manager, explained: “Isabelle is currently taking stock of the situation.  She has reduced speed completely to minimise the effect of the waves and to make sure water doesn't get into the boat. The first problem is that she is sailing in the direction of the depression and conditions will deteriorate overnight. Tomorrow a shift in the wind direction should allow her to escape to the north-east to escape this low pressure, and flatter seas should make things easier. It is obvious that Isabelle can no longer continue with her Vendée Globe and will have to retire. We are in constant contact and are studying the various options with her for the next few days. "

On Sunday January 3, the of the hydraulic keel cylinder ram became detached from the keel head so  Joschke could no longer cant the keel. A false cylinder was put in place which fixed the keel in the vertical position and it was this cylinder which has now broken.

On the 1800hrs ranking Isabelle Joschke was in In 11th position, the first woman in this Vendée Globe fleet. She was having a remarkable race, going well In the main ‘peloton’ after dealing with each and every one of several technical problems. She has shown great determination and mental strength but this evening she is devastated to have to pull out of the race when she had sailed 21224 miles of the race course and had just 5853 nautical miles to sail to the Les Sables d’Olonne finish line.

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil
https://isabellejoschke.com/nouvelle-avarie-de-quille-et-abandon-pour-isabelle-joschke/

New keel damage and abandonment for Isabelle

This Saturday 9th January in the late afternoon on the IMOCA MACSF, Isabelle Joschke noticed the breakage of the false keel cylinder installed on Sunday 3rd January following the loss of the hydraulic cylinder rod. She was sailing in difficult conditions near the centre of the low pressure system coming from Argentina, in 30 to 35 knots of wind and in strong, breaking seas. The positioning of her keel is no longer controlled; the keel remains attached to the boat but the loss of the jack has led to a slight leak on board her IMOCA. The skipper of MACSF immediately lowered her mainsail and is sailing under a storm surge alone to stabilise the boat; Isabelle Joschke is currently safe.

Alain Gautier, team manager of MACSF, explains this evening :

"Isabelle is currently taking the measure of things. She has to keep up speed so that she is not a toy of the waves and the water doesn't get into the boat. She is subject to the boat's behaviour, the problem being that she is sailing in the direction of the depression and the conditions are going to deteriorate tonight. Tomorrow a rotation of the wind should allow her to head further north-east to escape this depression and a more orderly sea could make things easier for her. It is obvious that Isabelle can no longer continue this Vendée Globe and will have to give up. We are in permanent contact and are studying with her the different options for the next few days".

On Sunday 3 January, the rod of the IMOCA MACSF's hydraulic keel jack had become detached from the keel head, depriving it of the pendulum system enabling the keel to be tilted into the wind. A solution was immediately put in place by Isabelle Joschke, in consultation with her technical team, namely the activation of a false jack which allowed the keel to be blocked vertically in the axis of the boat. It was this false jack that broke that day.

In 11th position at 6pm and first woman in this Vendée Globe, Isabelle Joschke was doing a remarkable race at the front, coming back stronger and stronger after each of her technical problems and showing incredible pugnacity and mental strength.

Tonight, the disillusionment is immense for the sailor.

Eric Mollard, communications director of the MACSF Group, reacts :

"The damage that forced her to retire is unfortunately part of a challenge such as the Vendée Globe. The adventure that Isabelle has helped us live through, in these difficult times, is exceptional. She put in an incredible performance, demonstrating that she could compete with the best. The MACSF and all its employees are proud to see the colours of their group worn by a sailor of this calibre. Our priority remains, of course, Isabelle's safety and the whole team is mobilised to get her to port as quickly as possible, with the help of the race organisation. We will be particularly attentive in the coming hours. Isabelle and her team can count on our unfailing support. »

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Armel gets past Clarisse......finally.......But with Isabells news I would imagine it would be a comfort to know there are two close-ish  by and heading her way....especially with distance to the coast and port...as is Maxime and Boris and Benjamin

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.18.35 am.png

Miffy

Super Anarchist
This is really bad... she ran it hard aground at the start of the TJV and the entire structure had to be rebuilt. Now it sounds like the hydraulic ram first broke because it was fighting against undesigned cycling because of the keel pin was moving relative to the ram. Then the false keel that supposed to keel the head from moving broke... 

ant1

Maybe the pin failure is collateral damage to a foil hitting a UFO yesterday (a small piece of the foil broke off according to Isabelle)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rainbow Spirit

Anarchist
Sydney, Aus
If Isabelle can stabilize the keel, it looks like her best bet would be to make for somewhere like Montevideo. That way she would be crossing the back of the fleet if she needs assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
55 minutes ago, ant1 said:

Jean Le Cam has a message for Isabelle

A classy man and I feel the same way.  She made a real go of it and before systems started to crap out on her she was still pushing for a higher spot.

Pip as well had such support for Isabelle given her own trials.  Pip may not be able to sail to the boat's full potential, but she's still holding her own.  I feel that both of them will be back for 2024 and with more money and support.