Vendee Globe 2020

ant1

Still feeling for Isabelle... Jean said it all really, I have nothing to add. It was an impressive race from Isabelle. Getting such a spontaneous and thorough commendation from Jean Le Cam is... something.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Another option is Itajaí, half way between Rio de Janeiro and Rio de la Plata.  The Volvo Ocean Race stops there, as did the Transat Jacques-Vabre. Incidentally, on the 2015 TJV Isabelle's boat, then Quéguiner, won 3rd place there.
Yes, much nicer place too, but a little more difficult to reach due to prevailing wind and currents. 

gaw

Also feel for Isabelle,

It's yet another swing keel issue. They're still breaking after all this time. Is it time to re-re-evaluate the whole swing keel thing again?

Also feel for Isabelle,

It's yet another swing keel issue. They're still breaking after all this time. Is it time to re-re-evaluate the whole swing keel thing again?
Maybe they need to adopt the Volvo 65 keelbox. Survives hitting a reef at 20kts and then pounded by 3m swell propped up on the keel,  should be good enough for an IMOCA 60.

Varan

Super Anarchist
20210110_181657.jpg

This group looks to be routing for a close flyby of Cape Horn. Hopefully it will be in daylight and the Chilean navy will post some pictures. Sure hope the lighthouse keeper received the most awesomeness drone for xmas.

tDot

BC
Louis Burton has also been pushing hard since his repairs at Macquarie Island.  He's moved from 11th to 5th position, made up something like 700 miles on the leader.  Pretty awesome sailing, no one else has made that sort of a jump in the past 2 weeks.  Not even Damien Seguin.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Pics from Sam Davies' Logbook about her keel problems. Snipped from V&V  

The next adventure was to discover that my keel actuator had slipped... and that the area around it was flooded... so I had to turn the boat out of the water, pump it and close the keel cylinder.

MjAyMTAxYzg3ZWVjNmEzYzFkODY5MzM2YTg4MmI3NzFkZGQ5M2E

The keel cylinder head repaired. | SAM DAVIES
A little grinding, gluing and laminating later, the cylinder was secured
While I was doing my routine checks, I discovered that the head of the cylinder (the part attached to the keel) was unscrewing... At sea, it is impossible to screw it back on, so the solution was to create a system to block it and prevent it from unscrewing further. A little grinding, gluing and laminating later, the cylinder was secured. By a happy coincidence, I happened to be in an area with very little wind.

The cylinder now has more play than usual which makes my keel a little "noisy". It was a little worrying, so I carried out many checks to make sure that the noise came only from the keel and was not a sign of another problem but everything is fine.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Sound familiar?

"I love to wait and watch the leaderboard. I'm totally addicted to it, I wait for updates like a child waits for Santa Claus. I look at the trajectory of those in front, I try to see how I could pick up some more, and it is exceptional: I did not enjoy anything like this pleasure four years ago! " chuckled Louis Burton this morning.

More here.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Sound familiar?

"I love to wait and watch the leaderboard. I'm totally addicted to it, I wait for updates like a child waits for Santa Claus. I look at the trajectory of those in front, I try to see how I could pick up some more, and it is exceptional: I did not enjoy anything like this pleasure four years ago! " chuckled Louis Burton this morning.

More here.
Oh yes--but this time, I'm having so much trouble following the tracker because of fall rabbit holes made by COVID and CosCOUP  :p

Good thing that Louis and the others are too busy. 

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
In the latest position report Yannick is losing his lead.

He makes less speed ad well.
Charlie 12,8 kN and 8,9 kn for Yannick.
Rest of the fleet catching on him as well.
The miracle navigator made a mistake for once to chose the westward route close to the brazilian shore.
Vendee 11 -1 -2021.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: