Vendee Globe 2020

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
It’s fucking cool that the race matters so much that early breakdowns return and restart. Is there any other sport or race where they do that?

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
The forecast uncertainty and distance west to cross the front is a bad bet you don’t have to cover yet. Rhumb line for 12-24 hours and then pick a side. 

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Just can't imagine why anyone would actually want to sail round the world shut up in the inside of a black box. I like to see people having fun!
I’d like to see you spend 30 minutes in a 2020 Imoca with an open cockpit in the Indian Ocean in December...

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Well said. Now tell it to the VG  :rolleyes:

By the way if a petition was to be raised towards the VG for updates frequency/schedules, what would one choose here ?

For me there isn't much cost involved, although of course if the frequency was 5 or 2 mn or even less it could be, and such extremes would really change the race for the skippers.

But from 30mn, 1h, 2h , 3 or 4h don't think there is any additional cost involved.

For me clearly, that 7 hours hole is ridiculous, but I would hesitate between 2, 3 and 4h, leaning more between 3 or 4.

You ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miffy

Super Anarchist
If there’s to be a petition the tone needs to be right and not the whining re “my exp sucks/France is weird how dare they have schedules that match their production hours”

1. 2020 is a year where we need solidarity in ever changing unstable environment 

2. Vendee Globe highlights the best of humanity conquering difficult tasks in a competition that is also about solidarity and community amongst competitors. 

3. It brings so much hope and joy and French culture to the outside world. 

4. Then you insert the ask. 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Apologies for using a Scuttlebut tip, but nice overview of the contenders. 

Full disclosure: there are few mentions of AT.

Last edited by a moderator:

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
This 7 hour hole is killing me. Will be a lot better when the novelty wears off and I only check in a couple times a day.

Seems like a lot of the fleet don't have AIS available. Damien Seguin still hasn't tacked and is headed for A Caruna in 5kts of breeze according to Marine Traffic

image.png

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Just watched it completely , really great analysis, going through the weather but also what it will imply in terms of sail changes, etc ( and cargos, fishermans )

Next few days are really key and will be challenging, finding sleeping slots will be tough.

He will do one at least every Monday 9:30 pm, and maybe some text/graphics ones in between, also on FB.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
This 7 hour hole is killing me. Will be a lot better when the novelty wears off and I only check in a couple times a day.

Seems like a lot of the fleet don't have AIS available. Damien Seguin still hasn't tacked and is headed for A Caruna in 5kts of breeze according to Marine Traffic

View attachment 404293
Yah... I started wondering several hours ago what his approach is going to be; been rooting for him particularly because if his paraolympic work but kind of concerning. 

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Judging by the increased "Physiological work" and heart rate at 2300 UTC it would appear AT tacked or did a sail change.

Latest posts