Vendee Globe 2020

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Corum and Charal consistently faster than the other newer boats. Charal sailed the most miles in the last 24 hours suggesting he has speed in these conditions. No surprise really the most prepared boat. Certainly this time around there are more new boats than the last rendition. Corum has to be acknowledged ATM for it's consistency. I get a gut feeling these two may clear out on the others if they reach new conditions 1st which seems likely. 

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
Or used the carbon bucket  :p  freeze dried food often makes it really hard to poop
Wouldn’t be into the freeze dried yet.  Surely you’d eat fresh first couple of days.

or do you go super pro and transition to freeze dry a week in advance so your body gets used to it.  I can’t see many French daily doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Haha. maybe in 10 years the skeds to the public will also be about rapid data collection and processing.

Thanks to the fibre optics, the skipper knows the dynamic loads instantly and for example the deformations of the foil or the slamming loads on the hull. Nothing is left to chance, the teams are getting more and more sophisticated. On board foilers, the Vendée Globe is now as much about rapid data collections and processing as it is about sail and foil shapes."

Miffy

Super Anarchist
2 minutes ago, stief said:

Still chuckling. She's quite entertaining, especially when hand steering. I think I'm a fan

Yah she’s got a great attitude and just getting to this point IMHO makes her a success story. That boat has less technology than some IRC4 boats. 

sunol

Kojiro Shiraishi seems slower than I expected on a newer boat. Looks like he turned south late, but still. Anyone know if anything is up? Fishing gear? 

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
By the way if a petition was to be raised towards the VG for updates frequency/schedules, what would one choose here ?

For me there isn't much cost involved, although of course if the frequency was 5 or 2 mn or even less it could be, and such extremes would really change the race for the skippers.

But from 30mn, 1h, 2h , 3 or 4h don't think there is any additional cost involved.

For me clearly, that 7 hours hole is ridiculous, but I would hesitate between 2, 3 and 4h, leaning more between 3 or 4.

You ?
No delay and constant real time updates...... it puts us all there..... 
I also want to go to any boat live all the times.....yes sure, they will need dunny curtains but they don't weigh much 

Last edited by a moderator:

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Kojiro Shiraishi seems slower than I expected on a newer boat. Looks like he turned south late, but still. Anyone know if anything is up? Fishing gear? 
He’s not known to be a very fast charging competitor - his stated goal is to be the first Japanese/E Asian to finish. 

crashtack

So somewhat off topic, but how do the imocas compare to the new ultime tris? I thought some of those teams were going for the 'round the sphere record

Miffy

Super Anarchist
So somewhat off topic, but how do the imocas compare to the new ultime tris? I thought some of those teams were going for the 'round the sphere record
imocas have legacy fleet considerations when putting together new regs, reliability and cost containment is a concern for the skippers. 

Ultimes are just dock queens that do two events a year at best - if they don’t break. Yes they’re a lot faster but they have extremely narrow safe operating parameters whereas imocas don’t have the luxury of picking your ideal weather window to leave for a lap around the world during perfect conditions. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
If there’s to be a petition the tone needs to be right and not the whining re “my exp sucks/France is weird how dare they have schedules that match their production hours”

1. 2020 is a year where we need solidarity in ever changing unstable environment 

2. Vendee Globe highlights the best of humanity conquering difficult tasks in a competition that is also about solidarity and community amongst competitors. 

3. It brings so much hope and joy and French culture to the outside world. 

4. Then you insert the ask. 
Mate. Trump might have benefited from your advice. On the other hand, you don't strike me as much of a 'yes man', so... ;-)

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Well, the Jules Verne Trophy time for pretty much the same course is 40 days 23 hours 30 minutes 30 seconds. Set by IDEC, a shorter tri, not an Ultime, but longer tris did not do as well in previous (and later) attempts. 

Vendee record--set last time round, is 74 days, three hours and 35 minutes.

Some models showed a current IMOCA like Hugo Boss might theoretically round in 59 days.

So, 1 hull is about 1/3 slower than 3