Vendee Globe 2020

crashtack

Big split early on. Someone will be right,  someone will be wrong! I guess this could pan out as a 100 mile loss or lead in a day or two. I'm following Corum in the south and l'occitane in the west to see. Two boats if like to see do well. 
My money's on artel in better wind

tallyho

Norway
There were a number of mentions before the start about "boat breaking conditions" over the next day or so... lead or loss is important but getting through without damage probably more so at this stage

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
So what sort of speeds do the newer generation do?
In flat water the newer boats can hit speeds up to 30 in 17kts of wind. Some are also doing 16-18kts upwind but at around 60°T which is their vmg angle if on the foil. Top speeds are very much held back by foil design. In a rough sea state there is very little speed advantage between the new boats and the gen 1 foilers or the retrofitted boats.

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
I wish they had the Finisterre traffic separation system showing on the tracker - I can't tell if anyone is going to try to go inside it.  That would be a fairly risky strategy with this forecast.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
By the way if a petition was to be raised towards the VG for updates frequency/schedules, what would one choose here ?

For me there isn't much cost involved, although of course if the frequency was 5 or 2 mn or even less it could be, and such extremes would really change the race for the skippers.

But from 30mn, 1h, 2h , 3 or 4h don't think there is any additional cost involved.

For me clearly, that 7 hours hole is ridiculous, but I would hesitate between 2, 3 and 4h, leaning more between 3 or 4.

You ?
3 or 4 hour updates would be very nice indeed

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Link still not working here (“Sorry, something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can.”

Sounds interesting, so working on workarounds. 
Does it work from there :

But it's in French, and no automatic subtitles like on YT.

k-f-u

Speaking on the live this morning Alex Thomson said "The next big thing will be crossing this front. There is this light patch off Finisterre so I would prefer to be further West, but I am not and then we will be sailing towards the front which will be interesting. Last night I saw 2.5m waves average when we will be looking at 4.5 to 5m waves so my hull fibre optics were getting close to their limits last night. So, I am not sure I am going to belt into this too fast, if I can I will try and get a bit further south and avoid the worst of that."
Already close to the limit? OTOH, better break it now than in the southern ocean... 

Last edited by a moderator:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
By the way, one guy who is not much talked about here is Giancarlo Pedote, I think wit new foils on his 2016 boat, he would have been a serious contender

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
His hull fibre optics were close to their limit in 2.5 metre waves.? Am I missing something? If Alex is going to spend all of his time looking at stuff while his competitors are sailing their boats it's no wonder he is leaking miles. 

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
I wish they had the Finisterre traffic separation system showing on the tracker - I can't tell if anyone is going to try to go inside it.  That would be a fairly risky strategy with this forecast.
The eastern part of the fleet has no option anymore to go due west now due to the TSS blocking that. They have to SW first and later west.

Mid

Blues Rule
Untitled.jpg

Tuesday 10 November 2020 at 08h00 UTC

Last edited by a moderator:

oioi

Super Anarchist
TSS now added. 

Corum split with Charal and has gone inside, tucking in behind Jean Le Cam (!!!!).

155 miles split between corum and l'occitane, which is going to grow. 

Not sure i would be banging a corner this early. Interesting that thomson, known for taking the occasional flyer is playing the middle. 

staysail

Super Anarchist
Interesting to look at the 2016 track of Armel on the VG site tracker. At this pace will Alex starve?