Vendee Globe 2020

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Did Charal pass trough the TSS?https://i.imgur.com/4C1e1lC.png

Based on the tracker, it seem like so https://tracking2020.vendeeglobe.org/en/
Indeed, this is getting very interesting. We have a fleet split. Charal is a lot more to the west circumventing the TSS doing 8 kts compared to for instance Corum which is in between the TSS and the coast. Corum tacked to the NW, doing 7 kts. Bad VMG I suspect and that tack. Less wind under the coast. The front and lots of wind will come from the southwest. So going there makes sense. But only if you were west enough in the first place.

I can see at least Charal, Apivia and HB on AIS going west of the TSS.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
There were a number of mentions before the start about "boat breaking conditions" over the next day or so... lead or loss is important but getting through without damage probably more so at this stage
Conditions will go rough when boats are transition the front. Waves up to 3+ meters, headwinds up to 35 kts steady, very bad sea state. Not boat breaking, the human factor is exhausted before a boat breaks under minimum sail. Getting enough sleep/rest before heading into the front is key imho.

Marty6

Anarchist
Kempten
Several different groups going west. Decision to go inside by Corum could be costly one, he basically threw away all his western advantage compared to the "Yes we cam" group. Looking at his track it at least seems to have been a very late decision to go there.

Last edited by a moderator:

ague

Troussel is apprently known for taking really radical options, to the point that the locals call a crazy option "a Troussel".

Could Charal's track on the tracker showing he crossed right through the exclusion zone be a glitch?  I recall in the Arctique, the tracker appeared to show at least one boat missing a turning mark.  I think this was due to the fact that the tracker did not show the boats' actual tracks, but rather estimated the tracks based on the boats' positions each time data was released to the public.  Eventually, that tracker was updated with the "real" track, clearly showing that none of the boats had missed the mark.  Could something similar be going on here?

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
image.png

Let's assume that the tracker isn't that accurate and the leader didn't sail into the separation zone

minca3

Several different groups going west. Decision to go inside by Corum could be costly one, he basically threw away all his western advantage compared to the "Yes we cam" group. Looking at his track it at least seems to have been a very late decision to go there.
I thought the same: by giving up westing for boatspeed I would have expected him to cross way ahead of Le Cam. Looks like a bad decision.

ague

This :

suggests the offical tracker is not accurate?

Wouldn't be the first time ...

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Conditions will go rough when boats are transition the front. Waves up to 3+ meters, headwinds up to 35 kts steady, very bad sea state. Not boat breaking, the human factor is exhausted before a boat breaks under minimum sail. Getting enough sleep/rest before heading into the front is key imho.
Plus Richomme mentions they will have to go from full sails near cap finsiterre, to 3 reefs J3 in the front, and then back to putting sails behind the front to go South West along the two lows, and will be back in strong winds around the "last" low, where they might decide not to go in the strongest part of it.

So really a lot of manoeuvers coming, adding cargo ships and fishermen, will be tough to find sleeping slots.

Reflex Sailor

UK
Could Charal's track on the tracker showing he crossed right through the exclusion zone be a glitch?  I recall in the Arctique, the tracker appeared to show at least one boat missing a turning mark.  I think this was due to the fact that the tracker did not show the boats' actual tracks, but rather estimated the tracks based on the boats' positions each time data was released to the public.  Eventually, that tracker was updated with the "real" track, clearly showing that none of the boats had missed the mark.  Could something similar be going on here?
Looks a bit difficult to get from point one (the tack) to where he shows now without clipping the zone (as he would have had to bear away around the corner of the zone and then head up to a course higher on the wind than he can currently sail to get where he is?

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
That very late tack west from Charal lost Beyou some valuable time and double miles here, going first 9+ miles east an then back west. Although I presume the wind was shifting looking at the track. And hindsight is great.  

When playing back the last hours you can see the hesitation in the middle part of the fleet to tack west, or go southeast towards the coast and in between the TSS. The three westerners, Burton, Ruyant (and later Tripont) tacked first around 11:15. The middle part of the fleet started an hour later tacking west from 12:15 onwards, except for Troussel en Bestaven. Beyou tacked at 14:30. 

Disclaimer; I mistook the minutes that have elapsed with the real clock  :p but the analysis holds up.

image.png

JMore

UK
Translation for those that don't speak French:

Alors la réponse est non : @JeremieBeyou n'est pas entré dans le DST. Merci à @Pifou29 pour la carto alternative. (Et pas merci à la carto officielle d'être aussi imprécise ) #VG2020

@JeremieBeyou did not enter the TSS. Thanks to @Pifou29 for the alternative chart. (And no thanks to the official chart for also being imprecise)

minca3

That very late tack west from Charal lost Beyou some valuable time and double miles here, going first 9+ miles east an then back west. Although I presume the wind was shifting looking at the track. And hindsight is great.  

When playing back the last hours you can see the hesitation in the middle part of the fleet to tack west, or go southeast towards the coast and in between the TSS. The three westerners, Burton, Ruyant (and later Tripont) tacked first around 11:15. The middle part of the fleet started an hour later tacking west from 12:15 onwards, except for Troussel en Bestaven. Beyou tacked at 14:30. 

View attachment 404436
I still would want to be in the position where Charal is, looks the most likely boat to come out ahead of everyone else.

So far Beyou's decision regarding boat design fully plays out, a fast allrounder.

Latest posts