Vendee Globe 2020

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Live back Live.
Thanks Postman, I would have missed it in live, otherwise.

What a wonderful and worthy reception of Yannick, the undisputed winner of this super competitive Vendée Globe, who's first words were that it was not only a dream, but a hallucination for him.

Plenty of supporters, despite the Covid restrictions, and plenty fireworks too. Just a pity he did not get his double handflare picture, but he did get a very tasteful Globe trophy alright!

Was watching it initially on the English live, but by golly what a boring lot of technocrat reporters there, and switched to the French for plenty of emotions. Good to see Thomas Ruyant come in, as well as Charlie Dalin and Kevin Escoffier on the dock. Did I perhaps miss Louis Burton? He did a very good presser earlier, answering all the questions carefully and extensively, as if he had just turned up for a days work.

Now the waiting is for poor Boris, who may have jinxed himself when he said earlier that he had "the right of way" over that freighter. Didn't deserve it though...

grandsoleil

Switzerland
So Boris is 20 miles out @7 knots, that makes a finish around 10:30 UTC wich would put him 10 minutes in front of Ruyant.

Will there be live coverage of Boris' finish?

Last edited by a moderator:

mario147

Spain
One for the shoulda coulda exercise... Now we know actual times for the top contenders, and if Boris were able to keep his pre colision performance... where could he be? 1st? 2nd? 3rd?

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
One for the shoulda coulda exercise... Now we know actual times for the top contenders, and if Boris were able to keep his pre colision performance... where could he be? 1st? 2nd? 3rd?
Either 2 or 3, but more 3 than 2 seems to me, it was really close, and right now him being 4th is still possible.

IllusionWanderer

Race for 6th getting hot. Seguin now matching Pedote for pace, who's down in the 16 knot range after the gybe, and holding a slender 4.5nm advantage - they won't catch Boris at current speeds. Could see 3 boats finishing within an hour of each other.

jimmyuk81

UK
Either 2 or 3, but more 3 than 2 seems to me, it was really close, and right now him being 4th is still possible.

JLC could nick 4th place (after his redress) - 176nm DTF, and maintaining 18knt VMG - and Boris won't cross the line for another 2 hours or so.

I'd be gutted for Boris to lose another place, but can't really begrudge it going to Le Cam! 

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
EsvlEyPWMAIQeAu.jpg

grandsoleil

Switzerland
JLC could nick 4th place (after his redress) - 176nm DTF, and maintaining 18knt VMG - and Boris won't cross the line for another 2 hours or so.

I'd be gutted for Boris to lose another place, but can't really begrudge it going to Le Cam! 
Le Cam still has at least one gybe to make, so actual distance to sail is much more.... We'll see!

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Phew, what a race... The Cock wins... with hours (better for Dalin, a few minutes would be harder).
This race in Covid times was a real bonus. Hats of to organizers.

Now how is Ari doing ?

ant1

Last video he seems to be doing great, advancing nicely, cool and happy as usual... relieved to be going north after the rough days around cape horn

ant1

The race is far from over, but really congratulations and respect to all of them.. no mean feat to race solo nonstop around the world...