Vendee Globe 2020

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Speaking of media coverage (not to take away from all efforts), Herrmann's has been truly exceptional and a wake-up call to all teams. His honest and quick reporting of the "facts" as well noted upthread, prevented much of the miserable speculation that so often ruins the thread, and an edition. 

His quick reporting of the collision and damages meant that the hungry press and fans were fed primarily by the prime source.

Should he have been more "guarded"? Maybe some lawyers or other spin doctors can wish for that, but after too many years of having to sift rumours and out right lies in social and official media, I personally think (insist!) that he showed that the truth is always the best way.

That, I think, is his greatest contribution to the race and beyond, over and above his demonstrated excellence as a sailor.

Did the Vendee Globe change you?

Yes – the Vendee Globe has for sure changed me. I don’t know yet in what way, but it’s certainly taught me a lot about trust, trusting in people and the boat, trusting in time – that good things come with time.
from https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/22025/boris-herrmann-quotes-after-finishing

Last edited by a moderator:

Marty6

Anarchist
Kempten
The improvement I'd like to see is a 24/7 feed running rather than the stop/start, it could default to the race time and replays in between counting down to the next expected arrival / go live for the actual people.
For this you need a platform that actually supports that. I have heard from several youtubers running into problems with livestreams longer than 8 hours (livestreaming 24h simraces for example). They usually start a new stream after 6 hours. Twitch might be better fro that seeing how many 24h streams are running there.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
While we wait, here's an alternate  "Live " commentary of the finish from veteran finishers Conrad Humphreys, Mike Golding and Nick Moloney. Those three veterans, deliver a wealth of experience and first hand stories about the race and what happens after. (fingernails? haven't heard that one before). 

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
They may very well decide not to risk ending up on a lee shore in a full gale, and wait it out on the Spanish coast or anchor in La Corūna.

The Gulf of Biscay is not a place to fuck with in bad weather. The last time I sailed in those exact waters it was only blowing 35 knots, and a coaster with shifting timber deck cargo sank not far from us. Regrettably they had 100 or so illegal immigrants on board, with plenty children, and half of them perished.
Damn :f-(

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Better images of Malizia

2.jpg

3.jpg

Dayracer

Interview with the captain of HERMANOS BUSTO, done via sat phone, by a credible German newspaper. He claims that they had their AIS on all the time. 

I'm not an expert on AIS but since someone here on the forum found the ship so quickly on marinetraffic, doesn't that support the notion they had AIS on? 

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/boris-herrmann-vendee-globe-regatta-fischerboot-1.5189198
The latest position report on MarineTraffic (and other sites) is more than 8 days old. So I guess the name came from Boris and his team and not from someone who had a quick look at MarineTraffic. He is actually still too far from the shore to allow AIS find him. So it is only boat-to-boat. If both have switched on.....

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Makes sense, given how far back Cremer is, once he accepted that he won't catch Sorel...  Hopefully Sorel can get in before the first big Low.

Long wait, though, if he's really going to wait for both and not try to finish between the first and second...  Looks like maybe 3+ days.

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
The latest position report on MarineTraffic (and other sites) is more than 8 days old. So I guess the name came from Boris and his team and not from someone who had a quick look at MarineTraffic. He is actually still too far from the shore to allow AIS find him. So it is only boat-to-boat. If both have switched on.....
End of the day there will be some inquiry and facts will be laid out.

Looking at the damage it would seem Boris hit at an angle (given the bow pulpit damage, the scraps and the damaged foil.).  Thank goodness for that since I'm sure he was hualing the mail.  Since Boris was a sleep I can imagine two options.

1 - Captain/crew of the fishing vessel never saw the IMOCA 60 screaming up and the hit was a surprise to both, but angle on the bows allowed for Boris to bounce/scrape off.

2 - Captain/crew of the fishing vessel only saw the IMOCA 60 at the last moment and was able to turn away enough that the hit was oblique and allowed Boris to bounce scrape off.

Eventually there will some blame establish because insurance would require it.  Alert systems will be inspected and hopefully Race Organizers may review the safety of having RTW Ocean racers screaming through busy fishing/commercial lanes at night at speeds most boat owners are not use too.  One thought is have a finish further off shore to reduce traffic potentials, have RC boats out to try and keep boats off incoming routes, or in solo racing, indicate skippers cannot sleep x hours or y distance from finish so they may hold a better look out.

Not tossing shade at Boris at all for he slept thinking he system would protect him and like pilots, you need to trust your instruments when that is all you have.  I am happy Boris finished instead of anything worse and the rest, well it will come in its due time.

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
The question of foils.  I'm sure it has been brought up before, but now, looking at the finishers, would be a good time to think on this again. 

It looks like 9 boats will finish within 24 hours (or so) of which 3 don't have foils.  This, in itself would not be an endorsement for foils because it's safe to say that the best financed boats, with the best skippers, have foils (in general).

And then of the 8 boats that retired (and 9 boats that I think we can include if we consider that Boris would have had to retire if the damage had occurred any earlier) 8 of them have foils. 

I was a very early champion of foils (as you can see in my book) but now, looking at it overall, I wonder if they are really beneficial to the racing overall. 

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
End of the day there will be some inquiry and facts will be laid out.

Looking at the damage it would seem Boris hit at an angle (given the bow pulpit damage, the scraps and the damaged foil.).  Thank goodness for that since I'm sure he was hualing the mail.  Since Boris was a sleep I can imagine two options.

1 - Captain/crew of the fishing vessel never saw the IMOCA 60 screaming up and the hit was a surprise to both, but angle on the bows allowed for Boris to bounce/scrape off.

2 - Captain/crew of the fishing vessel only saw the IMOCA 60 at the last moment and was able to turn away enough that the hit was oblique and allowed Boris to bounce scrape off.

Eventually there will some blame establish because insurance would require it.  Alert systems will be inspected and hopefully Race Organizers may review the safety of having RTW Ocean racers screaming through busy fishing/commercial lanes at night at speeds most boat owners are not use too.  One thought is have a finish further off shore to reduce traffic potentials, have RC boats out to try and keep boats off incoming routes, or in solo racing, indicate skippers cannot sleep x hours or y distance from finish so they may hold a better look out.

Not tossing shade at Boris at all for he slept thinking he system would protect him and like pilots, you need to trust your instruments when that is all you have.  I am happy Boris finished instead of anything worse and the rest, well it will come in its due time.
Now, lets think we are on the fishing vessel slowly trawling a big apparatus. The IMOCA lights, low on the water appear at a very short distance. -quickly covered by the other boat travelling at  20 knots . Hard to make any significant move.

Had to make any guess without knowing  if the fishing vessel was actually fishing (given the location there is a high probablility) and which course it was running v/s Boris's course.

Marty6

Anarchist
Kempten
I was a very early champion of foils (as you can see in my book) but now, looking at it overall, I wonder if they are really beneficial to the racing overall.
I don't think turning back the clock is possible. What i expect is the foils being less extreme for RTW races like the Vendee. Somewhere between newest and previous generation. All of that also depending if 2020 is deemed to be usual or the new norm regarding weather in the south.

One thought is have a finish further off shore to reduce traffic potentials, have RC boats out to try and keep boats off incoming routes, or in solo racing, indicate skippers cannot sleep x hours or y distance from finish so they may hold a better look out.
I think that is unrealistic with a start and finish where it currently is. There will always be close proximity to land several times along the route. You have to keep in mind that the accident occured some 90nm from the finish so nowhere really close to it.

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
I don't think turning back the clock is possible. What i expect is the foils being less extreme for RTW races like the Vendee. Somewhere between newest and previous generation. All of that also depending if 2020 is deemed to be usual or the new norm regarding weather in the south.
Interesting.  I think there will be a further evolution of the foil and keel package and a change in the class rules to allow rudder borne foils to increase foil borne stability.

To paraphrase Cam, they can foil very fast, up to 30 knots, the problem is you don't know what is going to happen at the end!  

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston

Regarding the damage of the foil, Boris said in one interview that the integrity of the boat is not affected. Looking at the videos, you can see that the tip of the foil is wobbling in all directions, but the root does not move. So hopefully, the foil case is not damaged. It is only a 300k USD foil to replace.... :ph34r:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
I didn't have time to follow up on the calculations today (work is a bitch), basically what place is JLC aiming for right now ?

Latest posts