Vendee Globe 2020

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Benoit is quite interesting (like all the #twailors). Do you happen to have the link to the FR article where he was featured? I can't find it just now, but it mentioned how he is an accountant who as a hobby compiles stats and ended up being consulted by some of the top journalists whenever they wanted to verify some facts.

(and funny pic of the Apivia troller :p )
https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/plogonnec-29180/finistere-sur-twitter-il-dechiffre-le-vendee-globe-comme-personne-7122364

k-f-u

"C'est la place du con"

View attachment 424739

His first words: “I have never cut a line like this in my life! Why ? You will see. I don't know how I got there it's a deliverance. This VG has been a sick thing. And in addition it seems that I am 4th! "

courtesy link https://twitter.com/JeanLecam/status/1354886165522997248?s=20 (with pic)
Sorry, I'm lost in translation. What does he mean by con? That Charlie was taken the win away? 

And the twitter quote? Could someone elaborate who heard it first hand? 

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Sorry, I'm lost in translation. What does he mean by con? That Charlie was taken the win away? 

And the twitter quote? Could someone elaborate who heard it first hand? 
"C'est la place du con" means finishing 4th is the worse place - the chocolate medal if you want. Expect it was kind of rude. Nothing to do with Dalin or any of the guys in front.

The quote comes from JLC after finishing : https://youtu.be/ZpOh9iqAW60

It is likely the boat is quite damaged. We shall see in the night / tomorrow on the channel parade and in the official press conference.

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Some better quality photos of Damien's finish, where we can see the rigged wind indicator at the back.

This has actually been a really big problem in this edition, I am sure they will have to look seriously into this. It has been the cause of many broaches and mast climbs.

143792247_3658325024204407_8620650905551136675_o.jpg

143792247_3658325024204407_8620650905551136675_o1.jpg

k-f-u

"C'est la place du con" means finishing 4th is the worse place - the chocolate medal if you want. Expect it was kind of rude. Nothing to do with Dalin or any of the guys in front.

The quote comes from JLC after finishing : https://youtu.be/ZpOh9iqAW60

It is likely the boat is quite damaged. We shall see in the night / tomorrow on the channel parade and in the official press conference.
Merci bien! I listened to the live en passant (while doing the dishes) and certainly missed some parts, and I find JLC quite hard to understand.

OTOH, I'm quite happy how my comprehension of French has improved over the course of the course au large. Et pour les informations restantes, toutes les traductions etc., merci a tous les francais de SA! C'etait un plaisir! 

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying single-handed distance sailing is a grey area leaning heavily to being non-compliant to the Colregs and it's a massive liability to organizers and participants.

This collision could be precedent setting once lawyers are involved.
Why would lawyers be involved. No evidence yet of damage to the fishing boat, and Boris boat damage is his problem only. Don't complicate things.

Varan

Super Anarchist
IMHO I think Boris had a glancing blow with the fishing boat and only had contact with the bow/bowsprit and foil. Perhaps with the cap shroud snagging as he slid off. Otherwise I think he would've lost the outrigger and rig.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn't make contact with the fishing vessel before continuing on but I suppose adrenaline could kick-in and his focus on the race could take over reasonable logic. The fishing vessel would obviously be covering their ass saying all lights and AIS were on: They'll probably also say they were trying to avoid collision the best they could and they were trying to hail on VHF.

I cringed when Boris admitted to being asleep in the video. Whether the fishing vessel was engaged in fishing/trawling or not it would've been way better to play the single-handed unable to maneuver in the time allowed with no radar/AIS contact card. Glad things turned out OK but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets taken to the cleaners for this incident.

I love these races and the challenge of single-handed distance sailing but the reality of not being able to maintain a proper watch is a massive liability. AIS, Radar, OSCAR, alarms, etc. are just best available means to augment human eyes. It's one thing to be in a 30ft 5ktsb where the likelihood of killing people is much lower and you can technically keep a reasonable watch with 20min naps: But a 60ft IMOCA going 20kts can do some fatal damage to coastal fishing boats or recreational craft and you can't sleep much more than 5-10 minutes at speed and keep a proper lookout.
Some people have integrity and tell the true. Weird.

Varan

Super Anarchist
As said many many times, the SCOW is currently banned. L'Occitanne is as much as you can achieve. We'll see whether Manuard gets more orders for the next VG. The design  (bow and foils) has raised a lot of interest among potential skippers, but unfortunately we haven't really had a chance to see what it would have been capable of among the leading pack.
I would like to see AT switch designers and give Manuard a go. To get the scow bow he wanted, he traded off waterline, essentially raising the skinny portion out of the water. I really like it when designers think outside the box, like the latest gen AC boats.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Regarding time allowances...

"For me the matter is closed and I won't be talking about it again. A human life was saved. End of story." said Louis Burton.

Classy guy.

And when this thing all started, who would of thought JLC would end up 4th. He IS the king. Amazing performance with an "old" generation boat.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Boris in his presser (some paraphrases and timelinks to fill out the thread's race record of him)

Q: Do you regret 17 kg of extra scientific equipment?  A: The data alone was worth the cost and effort of the trip.

Wow. Likely true. Easy to overlook these efforts and achievements in the excitement of the sport.

Q: You were the administrator of your WhatsApp Group. A: "I love this group .. .  We are unique in sharing this greatest class in offshore"

Q: Feelings about the rescue?  A: "Helpless. Afraid we wouldn't find him. Was I looking in the right direction? How was he doing--was he cold . . ." (and more) 

Q: Did you consider victory? A: "No. Never. That was for guys like Thomas, Charal, and Alex . ." (Really? Interesting . .  I think I believe him)

Q: NYT VG! VG!. Overwhelmed at 34 Kts? A; "That was the moment I realized I was really in the VG." 

Q: IMOCA racing in the Med? A: "Partners say yes to St Tropez rather than the rain in Lorient"  :p  (also mentions he'll do the Ocean Race Europe this summer)

Q: Missing friends? A: "More and deeper human discussion and relationship during the race."  (Dee, when commenting on the finish yesterday made same point about her and Sam)

Q: VG More International? A: "Yes, See Canadian book Godforsaken Sea. Inspired me to do the VG." (true that!)

Good presser. Good guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Damin presser (partial index / timelinks)

Q: Voyage of discovery? A: "Resilience, no way back, nice to find I'm competitive"

Q: Re ParaOlympian?  A: "More ParaOlympians than VG finishers. I'm not a collector of trophies. Like to give a simple message of integration to take paras outside the box

Q: Did you feel handicapped? A: "Yes and no. No, or I wouldn't have tried. Yes, but we all, young, old, male, female, are disabled on these IMOCA machines."

Q; First foiler to finish. Regrets you didn't have a foiler? A: "Little steps. Working up to a foiler. Non-foiler simple like me"

Q: Ambitions? A: "Will enjoy, but imagining and dreaming of the next, along with those who dream with me."

nonQ: We love you and want to hug you. Response: "awww. . . thanks. Solo sailing seems selfish, but we share and it's not finished"

Q: Extraordinary for handicapped. Can you help them? " A: All high level athletes are models. Show the right for all mixes of people  to fulfil dreams whatever they are."

Q: Re Highs and lows, technical issues? A; "there are only winners at the finish of the VG"

Q: Plans? A: " Round Europe, TJV, Classrooms, Did a Live with 300 classes, 10,000 kids, do the dishes at home."

Nice guy. Can see why he has an enthusiastic fan club. Great sports competitor and ambassador. Will look forward to his future projects.

Whew. Not a sniff of the trash-talking millionaire ath-holes or the militant social justice warrior.

Good reminder to listen to Damien and his ilk any time when faced with stuff like this

https://twitter.com/gibvanert/status/1350853356798025729?s=20

Last edited by a moderator:

Nixon

Must say - loved being able to look at the data from Boris - so refreshing to have some real insights to boat config and perf. This is a bit sad :

image.png