Vendee Globe 2020

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Regarding the damage of the foil, Boris said in one interview that the integrity of the boat is not affected. Looking at the videos, you can see that the tip of the foil is wobbling in all directions, but the root does not move. So hopefully, the foil case is not damaged. It is only a 300k USD foil to replace.... :ph34r:
$300k I think more

He said no damage to the case in the post crash video. 

The look on his face speaks volumes.  He spoke of it being a really hard race this time, and I'm sure he feels a sense of relief, but seems to be drinking in the welcome with almost a sense of wistful farewell. 

Rainbow Spirit

Anarchist
Sydney, Aus
I think we can admit that this has been the most interesting Vendee ever, what with the favourites being delayed or retiring, sinking boats, rescues etc, etc. Not to mention the close finish, who would have predicted 5 boats within 200nm of each other at the finish. It is almost as if the whole race was a Hollywood script!

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
JLC revealing that he had problems of delamination since the Kerguelen Islands!!!

He made a first repair, which failed, and had to make a second one that held all the way to the finish... If I understand well, he had to cut panels (from his ballast tanks) to make the second repair...

And he sailed for one and half month with that worry: is it going to hold???? and it did...

He also explains that he did not want to reveal his problem to not get people to speculate if he should stop or not. And what if he did not make it? What would be the pundits opinions... So

"Bien dire fait rire, bien faire fait taire."

Talking well makes people laugh, doing well makes people shut up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
I think we can admit that this has been the most interesting Vendee ever, what with the favourites being delayed or retiring, sinking boats, rescues etc, etc. Not to mention the close finish, who would have predicted 5 boats within 200nm of each other at the finish. It is almost as if the whole race was a Hollywood script!
If anyone wrote this story, it would be considered completely over the top.  You can't make this stuff up.

ARumRunner

And in about 8 days we get to do this all again as the 2nd pack arrives for the finish!

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
He is explaining the end of his race.

He was going easy with 2 reefs... and then he learns about that issues for Boris, and he is told that if he arrives before such and such time, he can be fourth... So instead of easy going, with 2 reefs, one jibe "just like Kevin taught me" (!!!) then relase one reef. Then second jibe and release the last reef. Full main, 26-28 knots and heavy swell. Pedal to the metal to the finish!!

ant1

Yes, he asked if it was Saint Julien and they said it was... unbelievable to hear about his delamination issues... he was basically sailing under a Damocles sword since the kerguelens... interesting to hear him explain the stress it created and how confidence in his second repair strengthened as he went along...

The emotions when he embraced his wife and then his two daughters... lots of love.

Emotions all around too with Vincent Riou  and Kevin Escoffier, those three have a unique bond.. the from saved to savior trio, and with Bernard Stamm, one of his good friends... Beautiful.

The chat around a glass of wine was fantastic, he's just so true to himself, it was really a great channel entry and docking.. . I loved it

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
We did not realize he had such structural issues.  Amazing that he kept all that intense stress to himself.

"If I have to finish in the liferaft I at least want it to be warm"... hilarious, but dead serious.

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
His press conference is very emotional...

His damage was forward on starboard. The stress of  the whole half around the world, was according to him more stressful that his capsize at Cape Horn when Vincent Riou came after 19 hours to rescue him. Here, it was the same stress, but for one and a half month...

Going in the front of the boat, opening the bulkhead cover, everyday, to check if it held... He is saying " for the last two days, I did not want to check it anymore and live this stress"

He tried to put as much weight as possible on the front to avoid slamming, all the sails forward, the central ballast was cut up, and he did not use the rear ballasts. His first repair broke in the middle of the Pacific, no other choice than to repair...

Cape Horn with 45 knots... The climb up the Atlantic was good, but he was checking the water temperature everyday, and felt OK once in the Tradewinds... Because if he had to abandon his ship and get on his inflatable "bib", the water temperature was survivable...

"La place du con": The dumbass rank. EIther second (you did not win) or fourth (you are not on the podium). What he says about it: "I relieved someone from getting the dumbass spot..."

He admits that he did not get much pleasure in this race. But the arrival is just so good.... so great, so beautiful !! People coming out of their home to greet you at 2 O'clock in the morning... This is unforgettable.

He tries to stretch his arms to show the difference between the emotional highs and the emotional lows and stops: "I cannot reach further because I broke a rib!"

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
Listening to the press conference now.... Even through the French to English translation, Jeans's words assessing his race are magic.  He's able to show that he sees the beauty in what he has done.  

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Journalist: "how did you break your rib?"

JLC: "I was peeing in my bucket... So, sorry Damien (Damien Seguin is in the room ).... but I have 2 hands... So one for holding myself to the boat. One for holding the bucket. And the bucket slides off, so I release the boat from my hand; and then a wave makes the bucket fly and me as well!"

Latest posts