Vendee Globe 2020

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Journalist "who impressed you in the race?, besides Isabelle?'

JLC: "Benjamin, and Damien, of course. Look at us, dagger board, old boats, small budget... And at the end, on the finish line, you have the old fart, the handicapped... and the wanker!!!

And besides that, you have the young smart asses, with multimillion dollars projects, and they are not here... !!!

So it is too bad that Isabelle is not here, because then, on top of that, you would have had the chick! "

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
He is ZE one and only...

A true legend... And besides his "smart ass" remarks and his "in your face" way to talk, he is indeed raising some serious questions about the cost of the IMOCA class. Stief is right: the cost is becoming prohibitive and "regular guys" can less and less participate.

A journalist told JLC: "yeah, but you were part of the ORMA class, with super expensive boats, which were breaking, you were not concerned by budget increase then..." JLC: "yeah, and look where the ORMA class is now.... gone! What I am saying is with the current economical environment, we have to be very careful on where we are going. The vision of the Vendée Globe at the start was to make it accessible to youngsters and to small to middle size companies as sponsors... Let's not forget that"

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
He is ZE one and only...

A true legend... And besides his "smart ass" remarks and his "in your face" way to talk, he is indeed raising some serious questions about the cost of the IMOCA class. Stief is right: the cost is becoming prohibitive and "regular guys" can less and less participate.

A journalist told JLC: "yeah, but you were part of the ORMA class, with super expensive boats, which were breaking, you were not concerned by budget increase then..." JLC: "yeah, and look where the ORMA class is now.... gone! What I am saying is with the current economical environment, we have to be very careful on where we are going. The vision of the Vendée Globe at the start was to make it accessible to youngsters and to small to middle size companies as sponsors... Let's not forget that"
That was a good question from that journo and JLC's answer is too true. ORMAs, fixed keels, aluminum boats, single rudders, etc, gone from the top. 

Hard to avoid the irony: JLC was sailing a carbon generation canter (that's way beyond the reach of many)

Still, JLC did in some way speak for those of us who are happy (resigned?) to sail with old mono or multi hull fiberglas boats with aluminum masts and dacron sails.. Maybe those in ballasted wooden boats with cotton sails too.

And also true: there is a smug satisfaction in occasionally beating the expensive hi tech boats, despite our tech handicaps.  We are smarter sailors  :)   JLC really deflated the foil lobby with his "math:" Foils only had a 24 hr lead out of 81 days? Is that all? Served the lobbyist right for such a question at such a time. That was fun. Journo couldn't argue back about freak HPs,  OFNIs, etc.

The VG (and IMOCA) is a dev class. for tech . . .  and that is expensive R&D. JLC's backing of Damien and  the other 'misfits.' shows it can be a dev class for sailors settling for older generation kit.

Costs? Might be cool if the the VG limited "new" boats to 4, proven by a JVT attempt first. That would give smaller budget programs a decent chance to podium on the VG, and give glory to a few who think they can buy a spot.

Journalist: "how did you break your rib?"

JLC: "I was peeing in my bucket... So, sorry Damien (Damien Seguin is in the room ).... but I have 2 hands... So one for holding myself to the boat. One for holding the bucket. And the bucket slides off, so I release the boat from my hand; and then a wave makes the bucket fly and me as well!"
I think he also added something to the effect, "We should really have three hands..."

He is ZE one and only...

I’m not sure I can agree with this point. For me, following the „race before the race“ with all the new designs and then seeing how they perform during the race is a big part of what makes this race so fascinating. And as long as there are enough entries (IIRC this time there were people wanting to do the race than available slots) I don’t see a reason to put a stop to all that.

I see the class 40 as the more appropriate class for the „youngsters and small to midsize companies“ while the 60s are the very top of the sport for those who have proven themselves in other classes and have enough financial support by sponsors. 

Chasm

Super Anarchist
While some starters at the tail end of the fleet were ...lets call it not that successful others like Pip punch way above their weight. The majority of the "adventure class" performs about as well as expected, sailing without major problems. 

I don't see a problem in new boats, they'll filter down to the tail end of the fleet sooner or later. The challenge is in the limited amount of starters in the race (not enough deep harbor space) and the need to enough adventure boats to the start. - After making sure that they know what they are doing. The increased sailing requirements help with that.
The threat that you could be out of luck even if you qualify is not helpful to the small campaigns.

GER 100

I really like his argument that the costs are out of control, and out of reach for us dumb suckers who love to sail. 
You mean for us mere mortal "multi million dollar" dumb suckers? Who else could afford a vendee globe campaign or even class40 without proper sponsorship? I think the best athletes - backed by professional racing teams, are are the most fair ticket to the vendee - rather than just beeing a rich dude. The vendee globe somehow manages to balance them all - professional racing teams, rich dudes (Heerema) and projects in there for the adventure with a low to medium budget.

staysail

Super Anarchist
You mean for us mere mortal "multi million dollar" dumb suckers? Who else could afford a vendee globe campaign or even class40 without proper sponsorship? I think the best athletes - backed by professional racing teams, are are the most fair ticket to the vendee - rather than just beeing a rich dude. The vendee globe somehow manages to balance them all - professional racing teams, rich dudes (Heerema) and projects in there for the adventure with a low to medium budget.
Spot on!  The formula aint broke, don't try and fix it!

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
The cost question is a tough one.

And the comparison with the ORMA class is an excellent one. Lots of people are saying that the IMOCA is currently very similar to the ORMA when it iwas at its APEX in 2002, just before the awful Route du Rhum that year - 3 finishers out of 18 starters (5 capsizes and 2 properly broken boats). Boats are becoming very complex and expensive, but you have sponsors willing to pay, because even at these costs, the return on investment is very high. After all, there was a queue list for the Vendee.

We must remember that more complex and expensive boats benefit to lots of people in the IMOCA world: designers, shipyards, foil builders, etc etc. This is probably 80% Britanny based and this economy is very important locally.

In my opinion, the most important thing in the IMOCA class is that you can get an old boat and run a campaign on a budget, you will still get a good exposure (look at Pip). This balance needs to be maintained so the class contines to attract different types of sailors.

Looking at all the interviews etc, people are pushing for T rudders. Even if it has been guaranteed it won't happen before 2025 at best, who knows if it is a good idea? But once you have allowed the main foils, is it logical not to go with rudder elevators?

I am also a bit doubtful on the Ocean race being run on these. Again, it is a great opportunity for the French-led industry, but is this not going to push costs even higher? I guess time will tell.

It has taken about 30 years for the IMOCA to get where it is, from a crazy idea in the late 80s - some French skippers were bored during the BOC Challenge stops - to a hugely popular race. Even if I don't agree with everything Jean Le Cam says, this needs to be managed very carefully. The good thing is that the IMOCA class includes people from all sides of the board.

imoca.png

oioi

Super Anarchist
Back in the day,  you could race an open 50 in the vendee globe. 

Why not a class 40 start? Could that provide the extra space required in LSD?

Be a great opportunity for lower budget campaigns. 

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Back in the day,  you could race an open 50 in the vendee globe. 

Why not a class 40 start? Could that provide the extra space required in LSD?

Be a great opportunity for lower budget campaigns. 
I don't know if this has been discussed, but there are 2 round the world races currently scheduled for the Class 40s, one without stop and one with.

Latest posts