Vendee Globe 2020

jonas a

Super Anarchist
I think the biggest problem with ORMA's was that they were unreliable and very difficult to sail, so there wasn't a stable second hand market for them. An IMOCA can be sailed around the world by a good amateur. That was not the case with the ORMA. My biggest concern for the IMOCAS is not necessarily the pricetag of a pro campaign, but the complexity and reliability of the new boats. 

GER 100

Let's not forget Maxime and Armel - looks quite nasty.

image.png

GER 100

And in the meantime, while the Thread is sleeping (or should work ;-)), Benjamin Dutreux has arrived!

"This Friday, January 29, at 09:05:05 and 20 seconds UTC, Benjamin Dutreux crossed the finish line off Les Sables d'Olonne after 81 days, 19 hours, 45 minutes and 20 seconds of racing around the world solo nonstop and without assistance. The skipper of OMIA- Water Family, whose first Vendée Globe it was, finished 9th after leading the race and staying in the main peloton most of the race often alongside Jean Le Cam and Damien Seguin. At 30, armed with a 2007 generation boat which finished third in 2012-13 with Alex Thomson, a boat with classic daggerboards, Dutreux was one of the revelations of this edition."

furler49

Worldwide
I don't know if this has been discussed, but there are 2 round the world races currently scheduled for the Class 40s, one without stop and one with.
It was discussed and the IMOCA Class said no. From what I understand the VG was actually open to the idea. 

The Race Around is now the only official Class40 round the world race. The globe40 was removed from the Class40 calendar due to a calendar clash with the Route du Rhum. Both have stop overs. One has four (like the old BOC) and the other has 8 I think?

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Weather update for Sorel/Tripon

I had a look at Sorel and Tripon and that hurricane force LP moving ENE, west of them. Pic #1 has the big picture with NOAA overlay. Pic # 2 current positions and ECMWF. Both have nice winds atm. When fast forwarding to Saturday with Windity and the Regadat plugin (pic #3), Sorel will be at LSDO when the shit starts hitting the fan. But Tripon would be getting 35+ winds in the Bay of Biscay. I would not be surprised if Tripon slows down to let this monster pass him. Because it would be sailing into a lee shore with 40+ winds pushing him towards it and no way out. Cul-de-sac. See pic #4 for Saturday afternoon when the shit starts flying.

PS sea state will turn into a nightmare with 9 to 10 meters projected by ECMWF. Near the coast that could be better, but you don't want to be close to the coast with that expected wind.

On Sunday the coast will be clear as the LP has moved away over France to Italy.

pic 1 big pic.png

pic 2 ECMWF now 290121.jpg

pic 3 ECMWF for Saturday.jpg

pic 4 ECMWF for Saturday afternoon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Weather update for Sorel/Tripon

I had a look at Sorel and Tripon and that hurricane force LP moving ENE, west of them. Pic #1 has the big picture with NOAA overlay. Pic # 2 current positions and ECMWF. Both have nice winds atm. When fast forwarding to Saturday with Windity and the Regadat plugin (pic #3), Sorel will be at LSDO when the shit starts hitting the fan. But Tripon would be getting 35+ winds in the Bay of Biscay. I would not be surprised if Tripon slows down to let this monster pass him. Because it would be sailing into a lee shore with 40+ winds pushing him towards it and no way out. Cul-de-sac. See pic #4 for Saturday afternoon when the shit starts flying.

PS sea state will turn into a nightmare with 9 to 10 meters projected by ECMWF. Near the coast that could be better, but you don't want to be close to the coast with that expected wind.

On Sunday the coast will be clear as the LP has moved away over France to Italy.

View attachment 425019
Yes Tripon is slowing down already, he has said in today's live FR he would let them pass didn't explain very well how though

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
phpLmiQmp.jpg

Between the two, I think Boris wins in the more damage claims.

Regarding AIS, it will be straight forward to see if either boat had AIS on or off since a record of it reporting would be logged.  If the fisherman's boat shows a position report x minutes before then his statement would be confirmed.  If Boris's AIS was not working it would not have mattered since I doubt the crew of the Fishing boat was standing watch.  

Regarding the other systems on board Boris's boat, I would figure the shore crew would be looking at either why it did not work (which really matters since these guys rely on it when the sleep) or did Boris just think he had them on and being tired, forgot to set them.  Planes have crashed for similar reasons with pilots (who lived) swearing they dropped the gear or set the flaps and didn't.

At the end of the day the worst of this is one damaged IMOCA 60, one broken eye, and slipping a few spots down in standing.  More important, watch out for Boris next race for if he did this good in his first race, the second could be even better.

Last edited by a moderator:

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
Feeling anxious for Sorel...  Would really like to see him doing more like 15-16 kts instead of 11-12...  He needs to hurry up and get inside the breakwater.
He is in 6 M waves with a 13 period so he may not be able to press it.  Armel may have it worst before it gets better looking at the Windyt routing.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Feeling anxious for Sorel...  Would really like to see him doing more like 15-16 kts instead of 11-12...  He needs to hurry up and get inside the breakwater.
Windy shows a relatively soft spot nearby (despite the sea state), so that might explain the speed. Whatever the reason. +1 to the anxiety.