Vendee Globe 2020

ant1

Member
215
359
Whats really matters is that no one got hurt... and he even made it to the finish... the rest (damage to the fishing boat and mazilia) will be taken care of by mazilia's insurance company...

 
Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
8,118
2,440
Sask Canada
A theory floated by Boris in a interview i saw regarding the failed radar and AIS is the known/suspected problem with carbon in the sails at certain angles with multiple headsails and main up
Interesting. Any chance you can recall the link? Puzzled, because there is some limit on carbon in IMOCA sails, at least when they are set up for the Ocean Race IIRC. 

 

Marty6

Anarchist
925
161
Kempten
Interesting. Any chance you can recall the link? Puzzled, because there is some limit on carbon in IMOCA sails, at least when they are set up for the Ocean Race IIRC. 
Found it. It was on one of the main German news TV shows (and is German)



(Edit: changed the video to the official news TV channel)

 
Last edited by a moderator:

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
Yeah, that is one of the many oddities. The earlier GER article a page or so upthread https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/boris-herrmann-vendee-globe-regatta-fischerboot-1.5189198 interviewing the Busto skipper is much better (but now paywalled, sorry to say). Really a good portrait of how the fisherman was worried for Mazilia, trying to follow  to make sure he was OK (Boris was too fast), calling for help, and wishing him well, despite the media frenzy. 

As for the VHF, if Boris was on the deck madly trying to secure the mast, sails, foil, and bow gear, that might explain why he was away from the radio. And half asleep?

Most recent GER article upthread is floating the idea he blacked out. Wouldn't be the first case of long distance solo sailors hallucinating or such. 
After the accident Boris did 5-6 knots for several hours, so it is hard to believe the fishing boat would not be able to catch up to him. Lots of problems with the fishing boat account.

 

Yod

New member
7
21
California
Looks like Maxime is going to make without any problem in the end! Well done  B)  

Conditions actually look worse for Armel... I do not understand why he did not go with Maxime, he should be able to sail as fast as him at least.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Varan

Super Anarchist
6,551
1,728
My wife was fascinated with my narrative of SA posts during the rescue of KE (thanks y'all). She has been asking about JLC ever since. Tonight, when I walk past her desk, I saw this

20210129_210443.jpg

Should I be worried?

 
Looks like Maxime is going to make without any problem in the end! Well done  B)  

Conditions actually look worse for Armel... I do not understand why he did not go with Maxime, he should be able to sail as fast as him at least.
and concerned about the one heading for Clarisse. an even larger, stronger LP system.

 
Looks like Maxime is going to make without any problem in the end! Well done  B)  

Conditions actually look worse for Armel... I do not understand why he did not go with Maxime, he should be able to sail as fast as him at least.
I did find Amel did not make some good tactical decisions he could have easily cached Maxime and now he decides to stay on a lee shore with that wind. The next storm is coming in and I think Clarisse is going to pass him.

 

Herman

Super Anarchist
1,848
825
The Netherlands
Maxime is going for it, and hopes to arrive between 6:00AM and 8:00AM tomorrow morning, local time, and enter the channel around 10:30AM, if I got that right.

Armel is slowing down and is going to sail offshore of Portugal between Porto and Vigo. He does not plan to heave to, but rather sail back and forth, and wait and see, and go for it as soon as the conditions are manageable. He seemed more concerned by the sea state than by the wind. I have never been the Bay of Biscay in a big storm, but it is well known that with a rapid rise of the seafloor, it can get pretty gnarly pretty fast...
Currently 7+ meter waves, rising to 10 meters later today. Back to 7 meters on Sunday, and 6 meters in tomorrow afternoon. 

 

Herman

Super Anarchist
1,848
825
The Netherlands
and concerned about the one heading for Clarisse. an even larger, stronger LP system.
That new LP with hurricane force winds moves NE towards Schotland atm, and she should not have any trouble when rolling forward windy. A 2nd LP will roll in after the big 1st, but it looks like she can squeeze in between both systems. A bumpy ride perhaps, but fine.



ECMWF 300121.jpg

A_e_sfc_color 300121.png

 

staysail

Super Anarchist
2,119
324
From the tracker 24 hours ago Armel was 300 miles south of Maxime and still south of Cape Finistere. Once past Finistere conditions would have been horrendous and the Costa del Morte has that name for good reason. Shelter is possible to find around La Coruna but not easy single handed without any assistance to find a guaranteed safe anchorage unless you know the region very well. By contrast in the southern rias of Galicia, Vigo, Arousa, in particular, shelter and anchoring places are much easier to find. I think Armel showed good seamanship to stay south of Finistere. Maxime was committed and was fortunate to stay in front of the worst of it. Clarisse still has the option of getting some shelter downwind of the Azores from too bad a sea state. It will be very interesting to see what she chooses to do in the next couple of days.

 

yl75

Super Anarchist
3,043
1,405
France
About AIS, not related to Boris story, Charlie was saying in his press conference that he was an "AIS native", having done his first Figaro race, the year AIS class B became mandatory, in 2011 I think.

And that due to the update frequency of the positions, and of the "night" black out, he had to change his approach to tactics and strategy.

I wonder what they will decide for the next one, for me it should at least be  a regular frequency, not time zone dependent, 3 hours ?

 

Herman

Super Anarchist
1,848
825
The Netherlands
Clarisse still has the option of getting some shelter downwind of the Azores from too bad a sea state. It will be very interesting to see what she chooses to do in the next couple of days.
Cremer has just sailed through the Azores heading ENE. She can't go much more north due to the sea state projected with up to a whopping 15 meter waves further up north. Windy tells her to go north, but I won't buy it. You don't go into 10 meter waves voluntary. Nor will she looking at her heading.

Cremer 300121.jpg

 
Top