Vendee Globe 2020

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Looks like Isabelle will be able to leave Savador de Bahia soon.

https://twitter.com/VoileMACSF/status/1356280323848466438?s=20

EtIHw2bXYAELDoB.jpg

EtIHw2bXYAELDoB2.jpg

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
Congrats to Armel on the finish & getting in safely!

A newbie question about hooks, having never been anywhere near boats using this type of headsail gear. I understand the concept of locking the head of the sail off rather than relying on a halyard that might wear out, stretch etc.

The bit I can't work out is how sails using a hook are changed. Is there some way they can be raised or lowered then "clipped in" to the hook from deck level? Or do they just use hooks for sails on furlers that stay up for the whole race?
The halyard lock is done to reduce mast compression and allow the flex-controls of the rig to work effectively. Running a mouseline also helps reduce weight at the top of the mast but that is probably less of an issue on these than on bigger boats.

ET1

Germany
Dear all,

I didn´t post much during this edition but tried to follow all the posts. The reason for my writing today is, that there has been a miracle on German TV. Every sunday afternoon there is a show about all kinds of sports, usually 40 minutes of football the rest about all the other events. Yesterday they sent the complete 60  minutes about the Vendee. I had to reach the age of 71 to experience this. Normally on German TV sailing doesn´t exist. And now a complete show of 60 minutes. I couldn´t believe it.

Of course Boris was the main actor but the show all in all told many details about the race the boats and the sailors. Great.

PS: Thank you all for your posts and for sharing your ideas and knowledge with us armchair navigators

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Dear all,

I didn´t post much during this edition but tried to follow all the posts. The reason for my writing today is, that there has been a miracle on German TV. Every sunday afternoon there is a show about all kinds of sports, usually 40 minutes of football the rest about all the other events. Yesterday they sent the complete 60  minutes about the Vendee. I had to reach the age of 71 to experience this. Normally on German TV sailing doesn´t exist. And now a complete show of 60 minutes. I couldn´t believe it.

Of course Boris was the main actor but the show all in all told many details about the race the boats and the sailors. Great.

PS: Thank you all for your posts and for sharing your ideas and knowledge with us armchair navigators
It's great, shows that the race can really outreach. Me thinks there will be an awful lot of candidates for 2024... Les Sables might have to spend some ££ in getting a bigger IMOCA pontoon. This could seriously become a big problem.

The first time I heard from Boris was actually in a video from the Lost in the Swell boys (if you like surfing and adventure, you should defo check all their trips : https://www.youtube.com/c/Lostintheswell0/videos

In a trip around Britanny in a smal Tricat trimaran, they get Boris onboard to push the boat in windy conditions - https://youtu.be/LG_M8LqLUAg. Back then in 2013 when they introduced him as Vendée Globe  / IMOCA skipper, I thought who the hell is this guy, never heard of him ! Great to see what he has achieved and really hope to see him back in 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

grandsoleil

Switzerland
Dear all,

Thank you ET! And thanks to all the contributors here.

For all the German speaking followers, here's the replay: https://www.zdf.de/sport/zdf-sportreportage/vendee-globe-segeln-um-die-welt-boris-herrmann-100.html

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Normally on German TV sailing doesn´t exist. And now a complete show of 60 minutes. I couldn´t believe it.

Of course Boris was the main actor but the show all in all told many details about the race the boats and the sailors. Great
Really a well produced, balanced and moving review of the race.

That was the best hour spent this year. Thanks indeed. As the EN subtitle said at the end: "EPIC."

(again: "Gad, I love this place." So many various, unexpected, and worthwhile contributions to our bring-your-own dock party)

grandsoleil

Switzerland
Really a well produced, balanced and moving review of the race.

That was the best hour spent this year. Thanks indeed. As the EN subtitle said at the end: "EPIC."

(again: "Gad, I love this place." So many various, unexpected, and worthwhile contributions to our bring-your-own dock party)
Now found it in Youtube as well (easier with subtitles): 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Cool chart (despite  misspelled name) by Benoît

JLC and Alex most experienced of all the VG skippers evah; Arnaud Boissières most successful overall?

EtKsNFCXEAAgMwt.jpeg

kass

"Today for the last Andi show, it is allstars one : we welcome Jacques Caraës, rce director, Dee Caffari, Ryan Breymaier, Mike Golding and Jean Le Cam" ( Pip, Sam, Miranda, Clarisse). No comment about Andi in drag.
There seems to be a Magnetic Fields song for every occasion.

kass

Dear all,

Looking for the 'turbo like' button.

Would love to see a similar miracle happen in the anglosphere. Perhaps when I'm 71...roll on #VG2040!