Vendee Globe 2020

Virgulino Ferreira

Anarchist
Brazil
In brief / Miranda Merron this morning

(...)
The Sat C distress alarm has been going off regularly to warn of yet another pirate attack on a merchant vessel, mostly in or off the Gulf of Guinea. It's amazing how much we heard about piracy when it was taking place off Somalia and how little we hear about it now, when hundreds of crew have been kidnapped, some killed, and some of these attacks are taking place nearly 200 miles away from land by heavily armed pirates. Nothing romantic about the the word "pirate".
That sounds really bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
I have never been afraid to ask dumb questions so here are two.

1. Would it be feasible to design foils that withdraw entirely into the hull if the conditions suggest that would be desirable - or perhaps if a foil was so badly damaged that it could not be used?
  2. Let's assume I have a million or so euros and want to do the race but accept that I would have no chance of winning, I just want to compete and finish. What would my boat be like? I assume a non-foiler? Could I go with a hull that is not carbon but designed to be super strong - remember I am there to finish. Could a non-carbon hull be made stronger (I know it would much heavier but for my purpose who cares)? What about a non-canting keel, that seems to be a weak point?

Miffy

Super Anarchist
You’d just build a foam core carbon boat with no nomex core. Built it heavier than otherwise have to be in the 8-9 ton range. Maybe do more design studies re reducing peak loads and invest in a scow design. 

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
You’d just build a foam core carbon boat with no nomex core. Built it heavier than otherwise have to be in the 8-9 ton range. Maybe do more design studies re reducing peak loads and invest in a scow design. 
Not for a million euros, though, right?  What would the proposed new hull cost?  Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about that...  I have no idea, to be honest.

For a budget, I'm guessing you'd need to find an old hull that was built like a tank and is still race-legal...  Some beast from 1993 available for not much, that could be made race-ready for another 200-300k, leaving a decent budget left for entry fees, provisioning, qualification races, etc...

I've actually been wondering a similar question...  Rather than "what could I do for a million", I was pondering "what would it cost to do this as a bucket list guy, on a tank of a boat rather than a new foiler like Heerama".  I'm guessing a realistic number is in the 1-2 million range, once you account for all costs rather than just the hull purchase...?

Second edit: I'm re-thinking the value of my question...  Because to be remotely ready, you really should be short-handing and/or single-handing something for years beforehand.  If not the IMOCA, then a Class 40, Figaro, or similar...  So the question only has value after you've spent a bunch of time and money building that readiness.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
yeah, probably to survive, you need to spend a decade pretty much full time... And have support from a bunch of people. Alternatively, you can do a different big ocean race on a smaller boat and it will be much easier.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
The right combination of talent personality attention to detail and coaching? cremer never did a season of figaro. 

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW

1. Would it be feasible to design foils that withdraw entirely into the hull if the conditions suggest that would be desirable - or perhaps if a foil was so badly damaged that it could not be used?
  2. Let's assume I have a million or so euros and want to do the race but accept that I would have no chance of winning, I just want to compete and finish. What would my boat be like? I assume a non-foiler? Could I go with a hull that is not carbon but designed to be super strong - remember I am there to finish. Could a non-carbon hull be made stronger (I know it would much heavier but for my purpose who cares)? What about a non-canting keel, that seems to be a weak point?
I think a lot of us have entertained similar thoughts.

Start with a used daggerboard boat. Used good sails etc. You aren't going to punish them as hard as the serious competitors.

I think a fixed keel would give too much away, maybe not, this would be an early decision. Overbuild the keel hinge. Rather than pack a spare rudder overbuild the rudders and mounts.

A Vendee level auto pilot is insanely expensive.  It will be harder to budget for than other stuff. Are used ones reliable?

Shore support is a budget breaker. You will have to kidnap a team but where do you put them then? A quandary.

triumph72

Thing is you wouldn't want to be too slow and end up days / weeks from help if it all went wrong somewhere south. Ari has sailed a good race, I think he is the benchmark, I wonder what he spent? 

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Last tip & shaft newsletter mentions Jérémie talking to Manuard for a new boat.

(sorry if already mentioned)

peterbike

melbourne

There was an early nineties one for $450,000 euro    - 1/2 pages back.

You might do it for 1 mil ???

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Not for a million euros, though, right?  What would the proposed new hull cost?  Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about that...  I have no idea, to be honest.

For a budget, I'm guessing you'd need to find an old hull that was built like a tank and is still race-legal...  Some beast from 1993 available for not much, that could be made race-ready for another 200-300k, leaving a decent budget left for entry fees, provisioning, qualification races, etc...
I am pretty sure there is an age limit. From recollection, Superbigou (Pip's boat), designed in 1997 and launched in 1999 will not be legal for the 2024 Vendee.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I am pretty sure there is an age limit. From recollection, Superbigou (Pip's boat), designed in 1997 and launched in 1999 will not be legal for the 2024 Vendee.
Really? I thought Pip chartered it with part of the conditions being she updated it. She is the only non hydraulic canting keel boat though...

ant1

An article on Ari's path to the Vendee Globe... he didn't do figaros, but came to imocas through minis (two mini transats in 1996 and 2007), then a route du rhum in 2014 on a pogo 40, and then two transatlantic races and the bermuda 1000 on his imoca in the past two years before doing the Vendee... while being an airline pilot for Finnair

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/ari-huusela-the-long-voyage-to-the-vendee-globe

kass

Thanks for the info.

Re the 'press' and facepalms, the question from the FR organizers to Romain was--I kid you not--"How do you feel?" I was triggered, growled , face-palmed, then laughed at the irony that the next question , the best (about the cost and effect of sat comms on routing), was from a female EN reporter, and the translator didn't know how to put it to Romain. Oh well.
Glad you liked my question, but think it's unfair to blame the translator here. I was told to wait for Romain to put on headphones so he could hear my question translated into French, but for some reason he declined, and then didn't really understand what I was asking (meanwhile I had Sam's parents sat next to me, whispering "Ruben can translate! Let Ruben translate!"). Happily the onstage interviewer (Antoine Grenapin) understood that Romain hadn't really answered my question and followed up.

I actually enjoyed Ruben & friends' contributions and think that their questions were more interesting than those of many of the adults (I have often found that when talking about solo ocean racing with kids, they are better able to imagine themselves in your shoes than most adults and hence ask better questions).

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Glad you liked my question, but think it's unfair to blame the translator here. I was told to wait for Romain to put on headphones so he could hear my question translated into French, but for some reason he declined, and then didn't really understand what I was asking (meanwhile I had Sam's parents sat next to me, whispering "Ruben can translate! Let Ruben translate!"). Happily the onstage interviewer (Antoine Grenapin) understood that Romain hadn't really answered my question and followed up.

I actually enjoyed Ruben & friends' contributions and think that their questions were more interesting than those of many of the adults (I have often found that when talking about solo ocean racing with kids, they are better able to imagine themselves in your shoes than most adults and hence ask better questions).
Lots to digest here: thanks for another stimulating post.

Yes, I did like your question, and agree the blame was not wholly on the translator. The entire presser seemed hurried (I put it down to the time of day there, and that Charal had taken most of the energy earlier).  I was puzzled why Romain didn't handle the translation, but figured he might not have heard it as clearly, as his initial answer seemed to show. Thanks for the clarification, and the detail about Sam's parents.

Re "kids say the darndest things," sometimes true they can trigger great answers. Two recent examples are when Conrad Humpfreys was asked by his daughter's friend "What rule would you change?" and when Alex answered the schoolgirl's question about his trimming

Would like to read more of your writing, since have been wondering who will help continue Bob Fisher's role in writing about sailing. Links or recommendations (or PM) please?

(aside: Was also wondering if Pip would say Andi redeemed himself better than Bill Cosby.)

Cheers.