Vendee Globe 2020

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Sea state by NOAA and projected path of tropical cyclone Theta both as overlays, fleet positions as of 12:30 CET.

Currently sea state is OK for the fleet, the western part of the fleet is already in 2 meter waves.

Will do routing if I find time today.

sea state.png

I just don't get why Alex is not sleeping. All the other skippers are saying they used the calm period to sleep a bit, some of them even feeling well rested. In 10knts of wind, instead of doing a video he should sleep 20 minutes at last to get ready for the front he is going to get into. 

minca3

I just don't get why Alex is not sleeping. All the other skippers are saying they used the calm period to sleep a bit, some of them even feeling well rested. In 10knts of wind, instead of doing a video he should sleep 20 minutes at last to get ready for the front he is going to get into. 
competitiveness. he mentioned that HB is not well suited to these conditions and he tries to make up for it by constantly trimming squeezing out every drop of performance. whether that is a wise decision mid to long term remains to be seen 

Chris UK

Anarchist
UK
Hopefully he got some sleep this afternoon.....if not, then as you say, that just seems wrong to me...

3 minutes ago, minca3 said:

just watched l'occitane onboard video. the slamming is brutal

Thanks for posting!  Incredible.  I don't know what I am more amazed with.  The fact that he managed to eat a good bit with all of that slamming, or the fact that he didn't spill a drop of his meal.  Whatever he had in that bowl must have been thick (but actually looked pretty tasty).  

Miffy

Super Anarchist
competitiveness. he mentioned that HB is not well suited to these conditions and he tries to make up for it by constantly trimming squeezing out every drop of performance. whether that is a wise decision mid to long term remains to be seen 
With the benefit of being able to peek at his biometrics - it took nearly an entire day before his heart rate ever dropped below 100 and you're only now getting to see resting heart rate ranges one would expect from a healthy man of his age. Prob needs a bit of time to settle down. 

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Hopefully he got some sleep this afternoon.....if not, then as you say, that just seems wrong to me...
Lets hope he is getting some rest tonight.
If not: who is going to pull him out when things go wrong,
His relatives, race management, a psychiatrist?

On the other hand it is part of the sport.
I read a journal from Conny van Rietschoten where he sees his compass turn into a fried egg.
Channel crossing with dragon Gerda
Later he won the whitbread twice.
His sleeplessness inflicted psychosis ended with arrriving in Hamburg and get sleep ashore.

Hope it doesn't end this way for Alex.
Fingers crossed

With the benefit of being able to peek at his biometrics - it took nearly an entire day before his heart rate ever dropped below 100 and you're only now getting to see resting heart rate ranges one would expect from a healthy man of his age. Prob needs a bit of time to settle down. 
He's overstressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Eh I think that's a bit hysterical and daft - it is Alex Thomson, it is who he is and what he's always done and it is the Vendee Globe. He didn't manage to change Armel down across the South Atlantic by being calm and calculated. 

trimfast

Anarchist
Thanks for posting!  Incredible.  I don't know what I am more amazed with.  The fact that he managed to eat a good bit with all of that slamming, or the fact that he didn't spill a drop of his meal.  Whatever he had in that bowl must have been thick (but actually looked pretty tasty).  
Is this the only boat that has a chair? I always thought the best way to ride these foilers would be to have a 5 point racing harness in a carbon race seat.  

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil
There is video on the Vendee Globe site from her with her Mainsail fully down, not sure why, but must have had an issue.  Not sure if hat affects her course or not.

To continue with the French giving the US crap update times, they are also not putting any of the onboard footage ont he English VG site...including the English stuff, you need to go to vendeeglobe.org/fr/web-tv to find it!

This is the explanation, machine translated from Isabelle's youtube channel:

https://youtu.be/uPreHpqoHXM

On the second day of navigation, Isabelle and the skippers engaged on the Vendée Globe will meet a front from this evening, which will be followed by the passage of the "Theta" depression. Several strategic choices have been made within the fleet: a first route to the west will meander the "Theta" contour boats after crossing the front in tonic conditions, with rafts capable of tipping the 40 nudes. Another group has the cape to the south, longing for the Portuguese coast, in the idea of benefiting from more climatic conditions in the passage of the depression, which they cross more south and later, the intensity of the front decreases to Wednesday Day course.

In anticipation of this passage, and having some doubts about the operation of his grand-voile hook, Isabelle preferred to check her adjustments this morning. She therefore dropped her grand-voile to proceed with the verification of her material, before sending her GV with the help of her (famous) pedalier. In the space of a minute and a half, "the ironing session" was over!

Wright Way

Pip cracks me up.   Sitting back, tiller in hand, still beaming she’s so amped to be out sailing  by herself.   
Awesome post, doesn't mention anything about some bloke who usually breaks his boat and sometimes doesn't even finish let alone win but gets more publicity than all the other racers put together.

Latest posts