Vendee Globe 2020

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Yes I found that interesting, he put the race 100% to speed of the foiling boats in the southern ocean and was very, very high on the capability of HB. 
Fully expecting the newer foiling boats to hook onto a large system, find happy winds between 15-20 knots and flat seas behind it and just put in 600+ days for a week and blow the race right up.

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil
800px-JEAN_LOUIS_TH%C3%89ODORE_G%C3%89RICAULT_-_La_Balsa_de_la_Medusa_%28Museo_del_Louvre%2C_1818-19%29.jpg

Brilliant!

And a little ominous, as they will sail over the sunken Méduse in a few days!

Rainbow Spirit

Anarchist
Sydney, Aus
Up to 14 boats in a line from the SE up to the NW in what I would call the leading pack atm.

As to all the whining about the update times for boat positions, I personally would like updates every 2 hours, does it really matter if the skippers get the same? After all everyone will be getting the same updates.

I'm also really liking the fact that so far there hasn't been any real breakaways in the fleet. I hope there is some real wind in the next day or two so we can see just how fast the boats can go.

troll99

Anarchist
Fully expecting the newer foiling boats to hook onto a large system, find happy winds between 15-20 knots and flat seas behind it and just put in 600+ days for a week and blow the race right up.
Corum would do that. Interesting that it turned south with lighter boats. Well Corum don't want breakages. Still fast as lighter boats and as fast as Charal in other wind angles it'll be interesting to see in the 40s.

Last edited by a moderator:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
If there’s to be a petition the tone needs to be right and not the whining re “my exp sucks/France is weird how dare they have schedules that match their production hours”

1. 2020 is a year where we need solidarity in ever changing unstable environment 

2. Vendee Globe highlights the best of humanity conquering difficult tasks in a competition that is also about solidarity and community amongst competitors. 

3. It brings so much hope and joy and French culture to the outside world. 

4. Then you insert the ask. 
 I get your points, but I think the petition should  be very factual, and the final decision handed over to the skippers, that is based on :

• A seven hours hole is ridiculous (with clear translations to various time zones)
  • Decision should be taken by the skippers and their sponsors, basically  between 2, 3, or 4 hours

And that needs to be done in this edition

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Just to be clear--Does the VG OA have any say in the sked times?

(Race DirectorJacques Caraës will be on the English Live tomorrow. Andi Robertson is asking for questions to be posted.Figured a question about the skeds would be legit)

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Forgot about that. Currently projected to be 3 days off the pace.

Nothing comes easily on the Vendée Globe and after breaking across a ridge of high pressure the next big question for this group especially will be dealing with Theta, a tropical storm which crosses their path between Thursday and Friday (13th!). Routings today show a possible timing which would allow these quickest boats to pass the west side of it in the NW’ly wind but this system is evolving rapidly and being caught in its path is worth avoiding.

After that the tradewinds are still not established and current timings to the equator are some three days behind the record of 9 days 7 hours set by Alex Thomson who led the 2016 race across into the south Atlantic.
 https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20161/wild-west-or-safer-south

Miffy

Super Anarchist

He who shall not be named made the effort to put out public relations content. Don't hate me for posting.

stinky

Anarchist
Are you going to block every other form of communication as well?
no, you just trust the integrity of those involved. If anyone cared enough, they could buy commercially available near realtime positioning data. At some point, you just have to trust the people involved to do the right thing.