Vendee Globe 2020

k-f-u

I just don't get why Alex is not sleeping. All the other skippers are saying they used the calm period to sleep a bit, some of them even feeling well rested. In 10knts of wind, instead of doing a video he should sleep 20 minutes at last to get ready for the front he is going to get into. 

competitiveness. he mentioned that HB is not well suited to these conditions and he tries to make up for it by constantly trimming squeezing out every drop of performance. whether that is a wise decision mid to long term remains to be seen 
Last time he overslept he parked the boat on an island. Do we know if he's got a juicier shock watch this time? 

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
She's closer to being French these days. ;)
This is her husband, Romain Attanasio on a non foiler.Pure-Best Western roughly 100 nM appart
She is behind the big guns and he is on a non foiler.
vendee 10 11.PNG
I am curious how you react to this.
SA was the gateway to professional sailing in the way that would suit everyone.
Great looking woman BTW.
Sam Davies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Good idea to up certain polars for high performing boats. Are the newer boats a third quicker than the 2016 versions?
Maybe on some points of sail, 2-3kts or possibly more has been mentioned. I recall someone generating polars for the 2016 foilers and posting those in that Vendee thread.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
You called it

Nice detail
Glad to hear the mast didn't need to be pulled

We therefore had to find a spare hook (part which allows the sails to be hung at the top of the mast) loaned by the Banque Populaire team. Then clean the damaged area at the top of the mast: "We started by opening this crack to make a natural halyard outlet larger than before but without the carbon chips to avoid the risk of the halyard getting stuck in it," explains Sébastien Stéphant, technical director. “To secure this area, we made a small carbon plate that we glued around the opening to make a security band. " It is Simon Chevallier, expert composite of the team that is responsible for work on the area and the patch.“The mast builder validated the solution to make a sort of bandage. It is a lot of work because it takes five coats, the drying times of stratum and glue. The part is 5 millimeters thick at the thickest part. We started from the architects' plans and used a spare pole from the Charal team to cast it on the ground rather than at the top of the pole. We finished it last night and baked it all night, then glued it this morning. " 

Sébastien Stéphant in turn climbed to the top of the mast to heat it up in order to speed up the drying time and allow the boat to resume sea this evening. “The new hook was delivered late yesterday afternoon. Everything has been installed, verified and working, ”he adds.
(gtrans )

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
And she is on a foiler Imoca and her fiancee isn't?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Davies_(sailor)

It takes a lot of effort to raise funds for two top-level foiling IMOCA campaigns, so its no surprise only one of the couple has a higher level boat. I say higher level as AT mentioned in an interview that Sam could win if she had a boat like his or Charal etc. There is still a good chance she will podium with a bit of luck.

What I am most surprised about is both parents deciding to do this race at the same time. That certainly sounded like an emotional decision; I for one am rooting for both to safely make it around the planet and back home in one piece!!

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Looks like Jeremie required 2h20 for that turn. Good news is that he is up to speed again. Chasing down Sam Davies.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Maybe on some points of sail, 2-3kts or possibly more has been mentioned. I recall someone generating polars for the 2016 foilers and posting those in that Vendee thread.
Thanks for that info. The Imoca 2016 polars are available and I use these, but am looking for the newest generation foilers. Upping the 2016 polars as @Hitchhiker posted upthread with a certain percentage is also possible, but hard to estimate to what level.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
@Herman Noticed some people are getting "the post reports of the race, on Adrena" (allowed him to confirm that Charal did not infringe the TSS). Figure 'les  posrepreports' are way better than the spreadsheets,

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil