Vendee Globe 2020

crashtack

image.png

My amateurish attempt at weather routing Le Cam, Troussel, and Ruyant to an arbitrary point with identical polars. Ruyant supposedly has a 3hr advantage, but that's probably well within any margin of error.

On a related note, can anyone tell me why opencpn refuses to drop my weather routing positions where I click them?

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Din't one boat in the race start as a VOR prototype? IIRC LinkedOut / Thomas Ruyant.
Easier to single hand a boat that was build for a small crew than the other way around.
I think both Linked Out and Apviva are based on the original design for the 'Super 60' which was the VOR prototype. I think it was a Bar karate episode where they were discussing how the boats might be a bit heavier due to be being built for the higher loads of crewed racing - looking at how this Vendee has kicked-off that might end up being a big bonus.

Not sure if that was the sole aim, they've just proven what everyone was saying years ago.  They could have used a lot of other 60's to prove that point.
Shit-  I forgot to engage the purple sarcasm font!

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Looks like Destremau is coming back (he has plenty of issues, electronics especially), and did Burton did his penalty ? 
yes, and yes.

Burton, who was side by side with Arkea Paprec is now 75 nm further north, and on the wrong side of the ridge... VERY costly 3 seconds for the start of a 70-80 days race...

LinkedOut outperformed his acolytes (Burton on Bureau Vallée and Sébastien Simon on Arkea Paprec). He passed the ridge and crossed in front of Apivia, Hugo Boss and PRB!

Kevin Escoffier on PRB is doing really well for an older boat upgraded with foils.

And Jean Le Cam is fucking amazing!

splat

View attachment 405068

My amateurish attempt at weather routing Le Cam, Troussel, and Ruyant to an arbitrary point with identical polars. Ruyant supposedly has a 3hr advantage, but that's probably well within any margin of error.

On a related note, can anyone tell me why opencpn refuses to drop my weather routing positions where I click them?
very unusual to go that side of the St Helena high no?

Last edited by a moderator:

nasil2nd

Chasm--have you seen how the posreport formats differ from the .xlsx sheets?

(I'm trying to figure out how to automate the .xlsx lat/longs to Windy URLs). Any tips appreciated.
This will pull the latest position report from the VG website and convert the lat/long to windy urls for each boat. Should work for the whole race, unless they change something within their website or the structure of the excel file.

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1QxCznt_WGKv0uijxM99fZk5XGVa7Hi7b

Last edited by a moderator:

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
very unusual to go that side of the St Helena high no?
I think that was just because the routing was set to an arbitary point rather than the Cape of Good Hope. 

A few have stolen a march on the the fleet by sneaking down that way. I think Isabelle Autissier did it once. Can't remember the others but somebody will :) 

Potter

Super Anarchist
I think that was just because the routing was set to an arbitary point rather than the Cape of Good Hope. 

A few have stolen a march on the the fleet by sneaking down that way. I think Isabelle Autissier did it once. Can't remember the others but somebody will :)
There are minimal doldrums this year, so that may change the equation I guess. 

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
There is nothing at all unusual about the issues the boats are having this time.  It happens every year.  8 years ago only about half the fleet made it to the equator!!!  Sam & Jeromie were two of those that had to abandon.  Safran lost its keel the first night out that year too.  And if previous editions are an indicator we shouldn't expect more than half the fleet to finish, with the attrition typically higher near the beginning of the race than the end.
Indeed. The only positive thing about all the mishaps is that it is better to have it at the beginning of the race than somewhere in the Southern Ocean with no boat that can offer help for some time. Like Kito de Pavant sinking near The Kerguelen in last edition.

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
I know we’re not meant to give Alex any more air time than his competitors but he seems to have been very determined to get some southern separation from the pack he was in over the last 4 hours.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
It looks like they have to get around a smaller low before they set up for Theta.  It looks like there'll be patch of light winds opening up between that first low and Theta, and that could be a big factor in whether the boats can get the positioning they want before Theta arrives. 

It's not the place to get stuck (or for Burton to take his penalty!)
That small LP zone south of the fleet is why Thomson invested in going west last night, dropping from 2nd to 8th in the rankings at that time. And is now reaping the benefits of a better wind angle and more wind than Le Cam and Dutreux. Next schedule the westerners could take the lead. Or get very close.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Thanks! 53 knots and 7 meter waves measured! Yep--more than forecasted.
That is an understatement. A shitload more wind (force 10) and a shitload higher waves in a bad sea state than forecasted. It explains both the damage inflicted by the front on the fleet and shows the shortcomings of computed GRIBs / forecast against the harsh reality on the ocean.

Rainbow Spirit

Anarchist
Sydney, Aus
A lot of observers were convinced that Charal's extra sailing miles would put them in good stead in the long run, yet here they are just a few days into the race and they are on their way back with a broken halyard lock, etal. Such a shame for Jeremie and his shore crew.

serialsailor

Lyon France
A lot of observers were convinced that Charal's extra sailing miles would put them in good stead in the long run, yet here they are just a few days into the race and they are on their way back with a broken halyard lock, etal. Such a shame for Jeremie and his shore crew.
Charal has UFO damage (rudder and broken backstay). L'occitane had a broken halyard lock but he is continuing because he thinks he knows how to fix it.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
can anyone tell me why opencpn refuses to drop my weather routing positions where I click them
Open the weather routing screen first. After that you can add weather routing points with right mouse click. Or after opening the weather routing screen select an existing waypoint as weather routing start or finish. That latter is what I do.