Vendee Globe 2020

tDot

BC
I think Alex looks to be setup beautifully.  I hope he posts some videos of his gybe on the south side of Theta. In one of his videos he'd said he gybed with TWS of 40+knots on the backside of that last front.   That'd be just awesome to watch the whole progression of that maneuver. 

I've been on 52' boats jibing in 35knots true, and that was hair raising with an entire crew!

gelbrossi

Germany
You can find all the data from Boris´s boat on:

borisherrmannracing.com

And it is realtime. Look for "View complete dashboard".  You have to scroll down a bit!

Have fun!

Ulf

Horsti

Great spot,

here is the direct link the grafana board:

Boris dashboard

I was especially interested in seeing how actively they "trim" the foils. Now I can have a look at it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

oioi

Super Anarchist

borisherrmannracing.com

And it is realtime. Look for "View complete dashboard".  You have to scroll down a bit!

Have fun!

Ulf
That's really cool,  thanks.  

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus

borisherrmannracing.com

Have fun!

Ulf
Massive difference to some of the figures from Hugo Boss, particularly things like G-forces.  I wonder if this is a calibration/ sensor location difference between the two or an insight into how much harder Alex pushes on average.

Rocky

Seems like Apivia is taking a west option on purpose, not necessarily to stay away from Theta? 
Was wondering the same, maybe he has a problem and wants to keep away from theta? Me as a complete idiot when it comes to routing would suggest the gybe west wouldn't make much sense at this point, other than potentially being further from the center of theta when gybing back south. 

tallyho

Norway
Question / thought:

In the Bar Karate podcast Capey was talking about how HB was optimised for running. Essentially she won't really show her heels before the southern ocean. 

While the boats are getting too far apart for real comparison, in looking at the tracker it is misleading just to look at relative speeds. It looks to me that HB is running not just fast(er?), but deeper.

I have wondered on the foil choice for them, and how much it differs from the other designs. On Charal, Linkedout, PRB etc they are always going to rely on a degree of lateral resistance to foil &  have to sail hotter angles. With HB, when running, do you think he will sail with the windward foil partially deployed?

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Was wondering the same, maybe he has a problem and wants to keep away from theta? Me as a complete idiot when it comes to routing would suggest the gybe west wouldn't make much sense at this point, other than potentially being further from the center of theta when gybing back south. 
VG news 

At the northerly edge of storm Theta this morning, Charlie Dalin (Apivia) gybed west at around 0300hrs this morning, electing to take what would be considered a safer route. His course had him more than 90 miles west of Thomson and Le Cam who are both on their fifth Vendée Globe races.

Reducing sail area, going on to a smaller headsail, taking a second reef - is on the agenda for the next few hour as the winds will increase significantly as they head closer to the centre of the storm, but some will probably gybe too, avoiding too strong conditions, while at the same time going early enough to make a safe gybe. Both Troussel and sixth placed Benjamin Dutreux (OMIA-Water Family both confirmed their plans to gybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Hugo Boss has to be the biggest budget Vendee Campaign surely? She certainly seems to have some legs right now. Every concept has been given a lot of thought. Last Vendee Alex had the fastest boat and I wonder if he has achieved this again? Perhaps Hugo Boss is the best VMG Running boat? If Alex has it right he needs lady luck on his side and the fact their campaign has put a lot of focus on reliability. 

Barons

Seems like Alex has finally got to rest for a while. This is actually more than I expected, I remember watching Relentless ((?) or whatever the name of the movie about his previous Vendee was), and he told that within last Vendee his longest sleep was 1h. Here we see that just couple days in. Seems like new gen foilers are much more exhausting that previous ones. Then again - he has been up for maaany hours and that is herculean effort on its own... 

image.png

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Do we think AT is more confident in his foil design being able to manage the heavier conditions closer to the west of Theta? Retractable foils (and reducing sail) could allow him to regulate the ride better and maintain better VMG than having to hitch west like Apviva??

Chris UK

Anarchist
UK
Sorry guys/girls, can someone explain. When i visit the official Vende website,  the latest article says Alex has a lead, of say ~30nm......but then when i check the tracker it says the difference is ~3nm......with the article being published at 07:20.....what am i missing.  Many thanks in advance, Chris

Latest posts