• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

Vendee Globe 2020

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
Do we think AT is more confident in his foil design being able to manage the heavier conditions closer to the west of Theta? Retractable foils (and reducing sail) could allow him to regulate the ride better and maintain better VMG than having to hitch west like Apviva??
Very good points/questions.  The ability to retract further seems like an advantage when things get dodgy.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
It's 2020 and the greatest Ocean race in the world and they dish up cave man data tracking.! Is this a French thing or a money thing? Or a dumb thing?  :D
Caveman tracking was the days you got a daily report by fax... kids never have enough data.
Remind you Imoca is skipper driven, and they are happy with it, some want more some less.
But for the antipodeans it is a bit long between skeds during their day, I agree.

Best remark so far from a skipper, Cremer;
Seasoned router friends and meteorologists, you can read between lines of this message to be lenient on the analysis of my course. Top of my agenda now is "do not get f++ked "

Davies told the stacking weight, 550 kg every tack.

Trussel on sleep;
When I sleep, I am surrounded by beanbags in front and behind and wedged in. I have a good mattress underneath and I feel super comfortable like that. That's what it takes to be able to sleep on these boats!

I know Dalin tries to take Theta without much risk, so his course to the West must be born out of that. He is a rooky after all in Imoca class, and not a gung ho type. He fought some epic battles in Figaro class though, he is well seasoned in that.

Great race so far...

Last edited by a moderator:

GER 100

Do we think AT is more confident in his foil design being able to manage the heavier conditions closer to the west of Theta? Retractable foils (and reducing sail) could allow him to regulate the ride better and maintain better VMG than having to hitch west like Apviva??
Hopefully he is not at sleep ... waking up in the eye of Theta. SCNR.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Yeah, I know.
NOAA has it at 12 mph - 10 kt moving east. Possibly moving north in a couple of days.

668E8F09-196C-4F0F-9E12-65A01D4D3AFD.png

razcaillou

Regarding Official Tracker frequency updates, I think the race director explained that the skippers themselves were against hourly or real time udpates.

They get the positions of others competitors at the same time we do ( or xlsx file sent by their shore team) so more frequent update would mean less freedom to take options ( like HB with its 4 gybes last night) and more incentive to go full figaro mode an watch for any little game.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Amedeo;
And of course I started my first round the world race last time, Michel Desjoyeaux said: ′′ You're going to see, the Vendée is one shit thing every day". So far I'm more like three a day!

Seems Theta makes a couple of sailors very chatty.

Probably this is what I like so much of the Vendee, tactics on the tracker, and human stories telling how much they are pushed in endurance.

Chris UK

Anarchist
UK
Regarding Official Tracker frequency updates, I think the race director explained that the skippers themselves were against hourly or real time udpates.

They get the positions of others competitors at the same time we do ( or xlsx file sent by their shore team) so more frequent update would mean less freedom to take options ( like HB with its 4 gybes last night) and more incentive to go full figaro mode an watch for any little game.
Re the tracker frequency, this is 100% being driven by the sailors and their desire for the race to remain a race for both the sailors and the armchair viewers, with tactical opportunities. Certainly the long nighttime gap is used tactically to make moves, as per Alex comments on this yesterday re his efforts to take the lead. Having the longer gap also retains some need for the leader to not only have the faster boat and cove tightly; it gives an opportunity to a sightly slower, more tactical boat  could exploit an opportunity and not immediately be covered. At the end of the day, the people closest to the questions  who have steered the class successfully so far are making the decision, the sailors, which is fine by me.

tallyho

Norway
Wow. That should keep the biceps and triceps in a good condition!
On that and human stories... am super impressed with Seguin sitting in 11th on a non foiler... one handed! His decision making has been pretty solid, but the physical challenge for him must be multiplied.

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
On that and human stories... am super impressed with Seguin sitting in 11th on a non foiler... one handed! His decision making has been pretty solid, but the physical challenge for him must be multiplied.
Remember he has already had to cut a net away from his keel.  Not a task I’d be keen on single handled (excuse the pun).

razcaillou

Yep impressive stuff !

It was kinda expected from him as he have been a solid performer all along the season.

thegood

space
The grafana dashboard is really great

https://exocet.cloud/grafana/d/bsbc_5MGz/malizia-public-dasboard?from=1604846037335&to=1605263637336&orgId=15

File this under "translation malfunctions", but I read Escoffier's comment this morning that he was in charge of his fate ("Maitre de mon destin") as "Master of my domain".  And I thought of course... I mean where would they find the time?  Do the skippers have a side bet or something?

minca3

Question / thought:

In the Bar Karate podcast Capey was talking about how HB was optimised for running. Essentially she won't really show her heels before the southern ocean. 

While the boats are getting too far apart for real comparison, in looking at the tracker it is misleading just to look at relative speeds. It looks to me that HB is running not just fast(er?), but deeper.

I have wondered on the foil choice for them, and how much it differs from the other designs. On Charal, Linkedout, PRB etc they are always going to rely on a degree of lateral resistance to foil &  have to sail hotter angles. With HB, when running, do you think he will sail with the windward foil partially deployed?
I think we still don't have the answer to how fast the new foilers are. All of them reported they are capable of doing sustained high 20s with peaks in the 30s, we haven't seen that so far.

What I was wondering, in the last AT onboard video he said he was looking for an opportunity to break free from Dalin and Ruyant. And he grabbed it once he saw the opening. The way he described it made me wonder how much of his decisions are rather based on guts feelings than strategy.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Update for new 11:30 CET positions, sat image en EMWCF overlays

Goes east provides a nice picture in Geocolor, which I overlayed on the fleet positions. Although not very good visible, the yellow weather routing track I created yesterday for Thompson is very close to the predicted one. To my own surprise. Thompson is placed very neatly in the NW quadrant, close to the eye, slingshot should be getting underway in the coming hours. As I said earlier, you are truly a king when you are able to do that.

The primary swell is against the wind and his course, and the second swell is at a 90 degrees angle to his course and the primary swell. A rough sea state, as expected. See the second picture with EMWCF overlay and the detailed forecast for his position @ 11:30. According to EMWCF, Thompson should have steady winds up in the 30s, gusts up to begin 40s and waves up to 4 meters. I think that these numbers, especially for wind, could be a lot higher out there. But without any actual winddata provided by anyone atm, it is guessing.

As Theta moves slowly east, the boats behind Thompson could expect a bit less wind, depending how close they are behind him. I think that only Thompson could be close enough to the eye to get the best shot, if the boat stays together. Le Cam doing a really superbe job without foils is 40 nm to the NNE of Thompson, and should go due south or SE in order to get the maximum slingshot.  He was pointing SSE @ 11:30. 

Next schedule is going to very interesting if HB is still floating without damage, and if so, how much his lead is growing.

GOES_East_and_fleet_13-11-20.png

Thompson_going_into_Theta_13-11-20.png