Very sad news - Ned Cabot lost off Newfoundland this weekend...

joneisberg

Super Anarchist
This guy was one of my cruising idols, hugely experienced, made some awesome high latitude voyages to places like Greenland and Spitzbergen on his J-46 CEILITA...

Much of his voyaging was documented over the years in OCEAN NAVIGATOR, this guy was the real deal...

Sounds like he may not have been tethered - he had just come on deck to take a turn at the helm - when CIELITA suffered a knockdown, then damage to the steering system prevented maneuvering the boat back to him to effect a recovery...

This is a big loss to the community of sailors, Cabot was one of the founders of SAILORS FOR THE SEA, among his many good works... Thoughts to his family and friends...

http://www.boston.co...Kx9N/story.html

36019_37.jpg

jhiller

Anarchist
Met him a couple of times. Truly an amazing guy. Damn shame that he died but at least he did it doing what he loved....

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Terrible.... he was a gentleman and a seaman. He did significant voyages quietly, did not make a big fuss about it, and went out of his way to help other sailors.

Out of curiosity here is the grib from around the time of the incident (30 gusting 40kts, and could well have been more around headlands) newfoundland.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kdh

Super Anarchist
I think it's hard to be born into one of the Boston families. Sounds like he made the best of it. He died with friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

stickboy

Super Anarchist
Maine
I just checked, a good friend had just gotten off the boat on a crew change the day before. He's shaken but OK. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ned but was privilledged to have his daily log forwarded to me via email. I spent plenty of time on Google Earth looking at the amazing places he gave llat/lon for.

clwgr

here
Ned was a wonderful gentleman. He had tremendous blue water experience and was willing to share his knowledge and stories with those who wished to learn. Sailors for the Sea and the Sea Education Association are better organizations thanks to his volunteer support. He will be missed by his family and friends. I will miss his laugh and his enthusiasm for fun. Fair Winds.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Can anyone send me some links to things he's written, or books he's written that I can buy? I'm interested.
http://www.oceannavigator.com/Ocean-Voyager-2012/Staying-in-touch-offshore/

http://www.oceannavigator.com/November-December-2011/Visiting-the-Faroe-Islands/

He wrote about his voyages in the CCA magazine, but those are not available on-line.

He gave talks like the following one at places like the NEw BEdford Whaling Musuem:

On April 20, the third lecture features Dr. Ned Cabot's "Weathering Cape Horn: An East-to-West Passage Under Sail." Known as the "Whaleship Graveyard," Cape Horn was a treacherous passage for whaleships traveling to the Pacific hunting grounds. Ned Cabot, Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Sea Education Association and a member of the Board of Directors of Sailors for the Sea, has recently returned from a voyage around Cape Horn from the Falkland Islands to the west coast of Chile aboard the 64-foot sloop Ocean Watch. He will use photos and anecdotes to deliver an engaging talk about his adventures cruising in the area. Ned is an accomplished surgeon, educator and sailor and has sailed to many fascinating locations around the world. In the summer of 2005, he sailed trans-Atlantic on a northern passage from Nova Scotia to Scotland via Labrador, Greenland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands. And in 2007 he sailed from Scotland to Spitsbergen, topping out above 80°. Ned is a member of the Cruising Club of America and has published a number of articles on sailing in the North Atlantic.

I am not aware that he wrote any sailing books.

joneisberg

Super Anarchist
Can anyone send me some links to things he's written, or books he's written that I can buy? I'm interested.
He also had a bit of a blog, although it went inactive for long periods, and I can't find any recent posts...

A few dead links in here as well, but perhaps you can find more from this starting point... At least this will give you some idea of the breadth of voyaging he did, most impressive...

http://www.sailblogs.../?xjMsgID=32243

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I don't want to divert away from the tragedy and respects to Ned, but I'm really intrigued that Ned cruised the islands NORTH of Norway and to Greenland in a J/46. That seems quite counter to Morgan Clouds recommendations. I find it quite interesting for obvious reasons. ;)

Is there any online information regarding how he outfitted CEILITA?

alex53

iolite
His J/46 was customized during the build (2000?) and he had 600-800 lb of additional reenforcement for northern latitudes/ice.

clwgr

here
He also had a bit of a blog, although it went inactive for long periods, and I can't find any recent posts...

A few dead links in here as well, but perhaps you can find more from this starting point... At least this will give you some idea of the breadth of voyaging he did, most impressive...

http://www.sailblogs.../?xjMsgID=32243
Ned was a board member at Sailors for the Sea where he contributed to the blog. If you visit www.sailorsforthesea.org you can click on blog post he wrote in December of 2011 about his cruising and why he was involved in ocean conservation.

Dixie

Reporters
SF
I'm very sorry for your loss ClewGear. It's really a sad story and a loss for the community.

clwgr

here
I'm very sorry for your loss ClewGear. It's really a sad story and a loss for the community.
Yes, Ned will be missed by many people. We are really just in shock at this terrible tragedy. For those who have asked about some of his writing, Sailors for the Sea posted a recent article/blog by Ned on the home page at

www.sailorsforthesea.org

Thanks for your thoughts Dixie. See you in SF in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts