Vessel Tracking

born2sail

Super Anarchist

Is that in addition to/in lieu of/no relationship whatsoever of AIS?

Not exactly my area of expertise or experience, so I apologize in advance if that's a stupid question.
Per MarineTalk.com

Ships will be required to transmit the ship's identity, location and date and time of the position. There will be no interface between LRIT and AIS. One of the more important distinctions between LRIT and AIS, apart from the obvious one of range, is that, whereas AIS is a broadcast system, data derived through LRIT will be available only to the recipients who are entitled to receive such information and safeguards concerning the confidentiality of those data have been built into the regulatory provisions. SOLAS Contracting Governments will be entitled to receive information about ships navigating within a distance not exceeding 1000 nautical miles off their coast.

fishingbobber

Is that in addition to/in lieu of/no relationship whatsoever of AIS?

Not exactly my area of expertise or experience, so I apologize in advance if that's a stupid question.
Per MarineTalk.com

Ships will be required to transmit the ship's identity, location and date and time of the position. There will be no interface between LRIT and AIS. One of the more important distinctions between LRIT and AIS, apart from the obvious one of range, is that, whereas AIS is a broadcast system, data derived through LRIT will be available only to the recipients who are entitled to receive such information and safeguards concerning the confidentiality of those data have been built into the regulatory provisions. SOLAS Contracting Governments will be entitled to receive information about ships navigating within a distance not exceeding 1000 nautical miles off their coast.
From http://www.cls.fr/html/solutions/maritime/.../200809_en.html "Starting on January 1, 2009, under the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), all passenger ships, high speed craft,mobile offshore drilling units and cargo ships of 300 gross tonnage and upwards regulated by the 160 Contracting Governments of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO)must be tracked with a Long-Range Identification and Tracking system." So is Somalia one of the 160 contracting governments?