video evidence

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad

So we can’t make any real conclusions from this vid, but based on this and the results of the IC 37’s first race, we are not too sure the design hit it’s marks! Anybody care to comment?

CAPEBOY

Annapolis
Pretty sure we can make a valid assumption on the merits of a new design based on one PHRF race. Aren't you the guy who couldn't win a race with a GP 26? Pretty sure we should let the adults decide this one.

Speed Merchant

Tripp 41 is sailing 15 degrees higher and in more pressure....started to slow down at the end of the video......also need to look at sails on the 37 - very full spinnaker for light breeze,  main might be overtrimmed, need flatter kite and sail at higher angle; and probably better of with jib down in such light pressure.... all part of the development process.

Would like to see straight line testing before making judgments.   

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
look at the elapsed times between classes: lots of  much slower boats finishing lots faster.

it's a charity bay race

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
  • Admin
Pretty sure we can make a valid assumption on the merits of a new design based on one PHRF race. Aren't you the guy who couldn't win a race with a GP 26? Pretty sure we should let the adults decide this one.
hey twat, who said shit about a "valid assumption"? i posted the vid with zero assumption, but why let facts get in the way of your little hate fest?  if you knew anything - which you don't - you'd know that the donovan gp 26 is a stone in light air. and getting stuck in a class of faster boats doesn't help. when it blew over 10, we were fine, under 10, the thing parked. so fuck you.

CAPEBOY

Annapolis
Ha! Somebody needs a snickers bar. Pretty sure I don’t qualify as somebody who knows nothing. The only hate fest I’m seeing is your continued hatred towards NYYC and anything that comes from those who you perceive as Waspy. The IC 37 is probably the best thing to happen to big boat sailing since the Farr 40, not that you ever got to witness that firsthand. It’s always good to argue on the internet, so thanks for giving us a place to do it Scot. 

Cheers

Mach 5

hey twat, who said shit about a "valid assumption"? i posted the vid with zero assumption, but why let facts get in the way of your little hate fest?  if you knew anything - which you don't - you'd know that the donovan gp 26 is a stone in light air. and getting stuck in a class of faster boats doesn't help. when it blew over 10, we were fine, under 10, the thing parked. so fuck you.
.... Or an SC-33??

Glass Houses, douche bag.. Glass Houses..

snake

Not sure what you are implying but....looks to me the 41' is sailing way higher and away from the mark (assuming that the mark is to leeward).  so what?

Vin

Couple of things...

The boat is very sharp. They did a fantastic job with her and the set-up looks super clean and incredibly well thought out. 

At that point in the race they were in the middle of a 6 mile reach from NEB to FT Adams and it was getting light and shifty (we were in another class not far behind).  Also, most boats in the PHRF 1 and 2 classes ran smack into a 100 degree shift after getting under the Newport bridge and lost whatever time they had on boats ahead. I would not judge the boat by that result at all. 

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
As always an appropriate and well reasoned response to criticism. 

BeerDidClam

Super Anarchist
The ed posts some dumb shit from time to time, but, I mean seriously, haven't we all?   (although, this does sorta take the cake) 

Last edited by a moderator:
The more modern boats are going with higher wetted surface bottoms. The finish of the latest S2H demonstrated this, where Camanche was caught and overhauled quite convincingly by Wild Oats.

So I would expect that in light air (7-8 kts) a well sailed, well rigged, IMS race boat with modern sails (including sprit) to beat a similarly well sailed, box rule fashion influenced modern race boat such as an IC37 or Class 40.

I would also expect that in moderate to heavy air (15+) the IC37 or a Class 40 to stomp that IMS boat into dust, upwind, reaching, or off the wind, big waves or small.