Virbac Paprec MOD 70 Capsize

svendson

And you drew that well rounded and knowledgeable conclusion from the highly detailed information about the capsize contained in your link, no doubt?

MR.CLEAN

I think that's the third one. Boat is quite a bit less likely to lose it than an ORMA, but shorthanded you are always just one gust away from losing it.

My understanding that I got when I covered the MOD launch and interviewed the key players was that the MOD was not going to be used for singlehanding or short handing, and wasn't designed for it...but that the lack of a coherent MOD circuit has pushed the boats into events that they weren't really intended for.

MR.CLEAN

from the inside view you can see how close the chopper is, and he's on the upwind side and very low. Any chance the downdraft from the rotors could have caused that? I remember Steve Clark telling me once that "Helicopters are responsible for more C-Class capsizes than anything else."

No idea how much air a helicopter makes, but worth the question

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
does anybody with any real knowledge know why these blokes don't seem to blow the sheets before it's too late? In both the cases I've seen of MOD 70 capsize the sheets seem virtually locked in place...

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
does anybody with any real knowledge know why these blokes don't seem to blow the sheets before it's too late? In both the cases I've seen of MOD 70 capsize the sheets seem virtually locked in place...

Especially with what seemed like a long time to go all the way. Seemed far slower than the spindrift tip over.

As I watched it I thought they would do a ETNZ head fake, but the sheets never went out...

yoda

Strange - the helmsman has 2 lines to pull at his knee, one to dump the main and the other to dump the rig. I think also the traveler is on a winch right there. Looks like nothing was blown?

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
That could have been a whole lot worse when the guy on the leeward side (assuming he's the camera man) falls in as the mast hits the piss. He could easily been separated from the boat. Then the boat comes down on top of him as the rig lets go. Very lucky guy.

At first I thought no way the chopper effects it but now, not so sure as it happens a bit too quick for natural causes.

Bummer all round.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Yes, odd - iirc the sheet is hydraulic, and there's a red emergency "mushroom" on each side

Last edited by a moderator:

glowmaster

Anarchist
Cape Cod MA
that boat seemed to plead "let my damn main out". if you do I will come back, but they didn't.

expensive mistake. I hope everybody is OK; that capsize was not design related. Clearly pilot error.

Latest posts

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: