Virtual Skipper 3

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
Any ideas how to get a hold of this title in the US? Most international sites have problems with my visa card, a lot of the links are broken on VS3 website, I am having a hell of time. A site where you can pay and download it woudl be even better; (i found one for VS2 but can't for VS3)

any advice would be great

crank boy

PNWGuy

Super Anarchist
With the state of computer gaming today (hardware and software) someone should be able to come up with an absolutely amazing sailing sim. Unfortunately it would be a limited market so the percentages just wouldn't be there (profit)

So we are stuck with dated titles/software

Last edited by a moderator:

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
thanks all for your help. i had tried nearly all of those links. ran into obstacles at nearly all. gonna give mark a try. he seems like a good bloke

A

amic

Enjoy the game but be warned, it is not, by any mean, a sailing simulator. Much more like a regatta simulator.

Meaning boat control is limited to right / left, trim / ease, and oh yes do some mental math to decide what sail to use for the next leg.

The regatta side of things is fun, especially now with random wind shifts etc. The "umpire" is by no means perfect but does a good enough job once you know the bugs.

See you on the virtual H20 some time soon then, nickame there is the same as here...

Cheerio

amic

ferrero

frankly it virtual skipper 3 used to be crap, not worth buying. its really important you download the update when you get it. That makes it quite fun you can team race and match race as well as control the boat reasonably well! before it was shite :D

Meat Helmet

Anarchist
Enjoy the game but be warned, it is not, by any mean, a sailing simulator. Much more like a regatta simulator.
Meaning boat control is limited to right / left, trim / ease, and oh yes do some mental math to decide what sail to use for the next leg.

The regatta side of things is fun, especially now with random wind shifts etc. The "umpire" is by no means perfect but does a good enough job once you know the bugs.

See you on the virtual H20 some time soon then, nickame there is the same as here...

Cheerio

amic
I've gotta toss in my $.02 here. VSK3 in comparison to other "simulators" kicks ass. My guess is that if you gave the software to a non-sailor and told them to go play for a couple of weeks, they'd come back with a clue about racing sailboats. For us folks who have brutally long winters and don't sail year round, its a cheap way to keep sailing, starts, tactics (up and down) etc etc "fresh" on our minds. No subsitute for the real deal, to be sure, but hey when there is blizzard outside it beats shoveling! Yeah, the rules are touchy and not perfect, but WAY better than their first 2 versions! The bonus of the game is that the people playing are generally willing to help newbies figure it out and rip the jackasses.

A

amic

To set the record straight, I am actually a big Fan of the game. And a very involved player. Heck when the official forum was still active I was an official moderator there :)

Just wanted to set the right expectations. Someone expecting a sailing simulator (a la Sail Simulator) may be in a for a big disapointment. Because boat handling is not super realistic (eg in the waves) and your options very limited (trim / ease and thats it as far as sails control go). Being fast (pure boatspeed) is more about being good with games than a good sailor.

This said it's a super regatta simulator, and great to practice tactics as you point out. I have actually seen it used in sailing schools to show the impact of shifts, how to read the bias of a starting line etc.

Agree with you regarding the rules, lots of people still complain but more often than not it's about them not knowing the rules. And most bugs are easy to avoid once you know them.

Worth noting. We did a poll at "La Taverne", the main French forum. Average player age turned out to be 39 years old. Meaning that while you do find some clueless teens who behave as if we were stock-car racing, the majority have some clue about what they are doing / most sail in real life. Heck, we have a former match-racing champ of France, folks currently on the Tour de France a la voile, a Farr 40 skipper from Italy, etc.

And of course the mad folks at ITBYC (International Team-racing Beer-drinking Yacht Club). http://www.itbyc.org (turn sound off or at least lower volume if opening this page from your work PC :lol: )

Cheerio

amic

Last edited:

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
geez more thanks for all the info. what is this "sail simulator" you speak of? i think my expectattions are in line, i have played the demo and know what i am buying. thanks again, all.

A

amic

Sail simulator as in http://www.sailsimulator.com/

Arguably more realistic when it comes to boat handling, lots of things to set and play with (up to crew position on the boat etc). But as much fun as Flight Simulator if you ask me (ie ziltch).

I think there is a demo you can download too if you want to give it a shot.

Cheers

amic

A

amic

VSK3 is not compatible with Mac. I don't think Sail Simulator is either.

Cheers

amic

Latest posts