Volkswagen TDI Sportwagen

So I sold my 03 A6 Avant. Been seriously looking at the new Jetta TDI Sportwagen. New ones at the dealers are a little steep as sticker + seems to be the way my local dealers are working and that is just not going to happen. I came upon an 09 w/ real low miles, anybody have any experience with these cars. Thanks

swan70

Super Anarchist
Mustang Ranch
The new Jetta TDI has been getting great reviews. VW dependability ratings aren't as great, but no worse than your Audi. If you like it, get it.

MoeAlfa

Super Anarchist
Wife has had the 2009 sedan for about 14 mos/16K mi. and we both love it with a few minor reservations. If my Element would just die already, I'd get the wagon in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
I've had a 2006 TDI Jetta (sedan) for 2 years now (bought new, was a leftover) - it's a very similar platform to the '09s. Mine is coming up on 25K miles now, maintenance has been: replace window controller because remote trunk release would trip at random (though not while driving, at least) - that was warranty'd at the 5k service, other than that it's been the oil change service and 0 issues. I run the 100 % biodiesel only (once put 2 gallons of mineral in to tide me over, aside from the tank in it when I bought it) - no difference in operation that I could tell, mileage a pretty steady 42 mpg. I have the 5 speed and it's been fun - I'd get another - get the winter weather package if you can.

I've had a 2006 TDI Jetta (sedan) for 2 years now (bought new, was a leftover) - it's a very similar platform to the '09s. Mine is coming up on 25K miles now, maintenance has been: replace window controller because remote trunk release would trip at random (though not while driving, at least) - that was warranty'd at the 5k service, other than that it's been the oil change service and 0 issues. I run the 100 % biodiesel only (once put 2 gallons of mineral in to tide me over, aside from the tank in it when I bought it) - no difference in operation that I could tell, mileage a pretty steady 42 mpg. I have the 5 speed and it's been fun - I'd get another - get the winter weather package if you can.

The one I am looking at has the standard group 1 options (heated seats etc. and monster mats) Salsa red w/ nicely tinted windows and 6spd manual. Also a wired hitch that appears unused. No sunroof or nav.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
So I sold my 03 A6 Avant. Been seriously looking at the new Jetta TDI Sportwagen. New ones at the dealers are a little steep as sticker + seems to be the way my local dealers are working and that is just not going to happen. I came upon an 09 w/ real low miles, anybody have any experience with these cars. Thanks
I bought a new TDI Sportswagen in Oct 2008 and love it. Fortunately the dealer in Ballard, Washington (Carter VW near Seattle) had no extra markup and I paid MSRP for mine even though it was the first one he got to sell.

I have had many diesel cars in the past and this one is a keeper. (I also have a diesel Sprinter van.)

New common rail diesels are great and I expect at some point people will discover their advantages and we will see many more on the roads of USA.

Happy New Year from Bainbridge Island, WA

Kim

IrieMon

Super Anarchist
Amazing they demand above sticker in today's economy. Are they moving inventory that quickly ?

Good Luck with your purchase !

MoeAlfa

Super Anarchist
Amazing they demand above sticker in today's economy. Are they moving inventory that quickly ?
Wife paid sticker and waited a few weeks in the very nadir of the crash. We went to another dealer first, who wanted sticker plus 1,500 for some dealer-applied paint protection on the car they had in stock. I figured that was about a 1,466.72 mark-up. When we told them to forget about it, they called us once a day for a week. I have no idea what they would have done for us. Edmunds' electronic bid process came up with no priced offers, just emails offering to show us stock.

Good Luck with your purchase !

These are nice cars and there is a cult following for VW diesels and mainstream popularity is picking up. Frankly sticker + sales tactics is just dealer arrogance in my opinion. Off course I got the spiel about the fuel economy, tax credits and longevity ect. but the fact of the matter is these cars are not exactly flying off the lot. VW keeps the quantity low to over emphasize the demand. I asked the dealer why he had 20+ wagons/sedans to show me if they were really as hot as he says? Just a blank stare and more side stepping. Frankly, dealing with these folks in the tradational adversarial way is no fun and really does nothing to encourage me and others with similar perceptions as to buy new cars.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Friend knows a guy in CT with two Passat wagons used for sale under 5 grand AWD, well maintained.

Passat TDI 4 Motion Wagons are a very rare car. For under $5K, miles must be really high, though more details would be good.

Don't have any more details, except the owner/seller takes care of his equipment better than most.

Send me a PM and I will get you some contact info. As I said, it's a friend of a friend...

j24vt

Super Anarchist
Vermont
We were thinking about the TDI Wagon for my wife until we test drove the 2.0 liter turbo Jetta wagon (or as my wife calls it the Mommy Sportmobile).

yowie

Super Anarchist
bris-vegas
We were thinking about the TDI Wagon for my wife until we test drove the 2.0 liter turbo Jetta wagon (or as my wife calls it the Mommy Sportmobile).
JUst done a round trip of 2,300 odd km in a Golf 2.0L TDI over Xmas, mostly country. Nicest car I have had, not that there's much to compare, but country cycle we got 5.5 l/100Ks all day with air on, full load and no special driving stuff.

y

robmac

Kyleakin
It gets Murdo MacLeod's seal of approval. He's a cattle and sheep man from the rough bounds of north west Sutherland. It trucks 's collies lurchers and ferrets quite the thing. I think a second hand Honda Stationwagon would be worth looking at. They're reliable and bulletproof.

austin1972

Super Anarchist
Test drove one this morning. Really, really nice car. Started right up after sitting out in single digits all night.

The interior is pretty minimalist but I like that. The ergonomics are about perfect and there aren't too many buttons. With the back seats folded, there's a shitload of cargo room for such a small vehicle. It actually almost defies reasson. Maybe it's an optical illusion but I don't think so...It looks to be just short of being able to put a sheet of drywall in there!

Exterior-wise, it looks great in side profile; I like the chrome treatment around the windows. Not a huge fan of the front but you can't see that part from behind the wheel. I love the fact you can get a kayak attachment for the roof rack.

I drove the manual and the DSG. This was my first experience with DSG and, well, it's OK. Probably nice if you have a lot of stop and go commuting but I really prefer rowing my own gears. One great thing about the DSG is you can keep the turbo pressure up between shifts, which you can't do with the stick.

The manual is pretty nice - the shifter is a little rubbery compared to my BMW but the clutch was light and progressive. The brakes were nice also, with good modulation. The steering was almost as good as my BMW, although a little lighter. Great feel and precision, no sloppiness or vagueness, and very positive on-center.

The diesel motor is very nice, and much quieter than I expected since I'm used to a Cummins 5.9 that sounds like a tractor. If you're not used to diesels, you might initially think the car is slow. The thing about diesel is they need that turbo to wind up before the motor can start brutally twisting. Diesel takes a lot more air to combust, and until the turbo is spun up, you won't get lots of power. I personally like the way diesels pressure up and start pushing like freight trains. It takes a little planning if you are going to pass on a 2 lane but you get used to it.

Like I said, the interior might be considered spartan but I like it. Materials have a high quality feel, buttons feels solid and fit/finish and paint quality are top notch.

The only thing I can think of that would be a tough decision would be the sunroof. I usually don't like them as every one I've ever had either broke down or leaked at some point in its life, plus it's a lot of extra weight up high, increasing CG. That said, it is huge in this car and I really liked the feel in the cabin with the glass roof vs. without.

Anyhow, it's a great little wagon and to get a piece of kit in diesel this nice for $27K seems like a steal of a deal to me.

MoeAlfa

Super Anarchist
It is indeed a great little car for the money. The diesel is a little loud at idle, but the rest of the time, it's no louder than a gasoline engine. My main complaint in the Jetta concerns the foot well on the driver's side. My right knee keeps pressing against the side; it's a bit awkward on long drives and I am not tall.