Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015 Entrants

mr_ryano

Super Anarchist
Lisa MacDonald would be a good place to start.

So the next race is off and running, and a good shift in demographics hopefully helps everyone else looking for the big check. Atlant usually runs 2-boat teams. Might they have a mens team coming to train with the girls?

pslsail22

I am super exited for the all women's team. It is great to have them back in the Volvo. I think if this is a sign of the type of teams we are going to be getting with the 65' then I defiantly think the OD boat is great. I hope this leads to there being maybe a youth team and other types of teams that are out of the usual. Anyone heard if any of this years skippers besides Sanderson are coming back or have expressed interest?

Heriberto

Super Anarchist
One design paying dividends. This is great news.
Please pass the bong.

One "women's" team is "paying dividends"? Newsflash - THEY ARE THE ONLY ANNOUNCED TEAM. Meanwhile, if you read Seahorse, Telefonica, and the entire Spanish sailing establishment are PISSED, Groupama is OUT, and apparently not pleased either, Puma is SILENT, and last word from Ken is "yuk", Camper and Abu Dhabi also, SILENT. Nobody who is a current or past factor has blessed this, much less announced they have bought in. Mike Sanderson thinks it's a good idea because it dumbs down the technical, more than financial requirements, how sad is that? Then his support could primarily be put down to trying to sell it to his Chinese clients.

Paying dividends? Only if you are Knut's lap puppy would you say that at this point in time.

Don't get me wrong, It's a good thing to have women sailing, All for that, but having a "women's" team has always been basically a gimmick, it's like Billie Jean King against whatever that chucklehead was, an outdated construct. I would be more impressed by a mixed team scenario, or a crew limit or fabrication where men and women are equally valued as crew.

Last edited by a moderator:

corkob

Anarchist
Telefonica and the entire Spanish  sailing establishment are pissed because they didn't win, Groupama are out because they're broke. As for the rest, the last race is just finished..... Give it a rest Herby Berto. It's happening whether you like it or not. Done deal, get over it. Close competition, which by it's nature one design will promote, will surely make the next race exciting. It wasn't much fun in 2008 /2009 when Ericsson had the thing won half way round. The close competition in 2010/11 was brilliant. Would have been even better if Abu and Sanya had been in the running. I think the female team will add a further dimension. Looking forward already.

pslsail22

Mike Sanderson thinks it's a good idea because it dumbs down the technical, more than financial requirements, how sad is that? Then his support could primarily be put down to trying to sell it to his Chinese clients.

Ok so you do know that he has WON this race in the Volvo 70. So yeah pretty sure he is good at technical stuff. He got in the game late this year and thus had a slow boat. But I would check your facts before saying incorrect things.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Please pass the bong.

One "women's" team is "paying dividends"? Newsflash - THEY ARE THE ONLY ANNOUNCED TEAM. Meanwhile, if you read Seahorse, Telefonica, and the entire Spanish sailing establishment are PISSED, Groupama is OUT, and apparently not pleased either, Puma is SILENT, and last word from Ken is "yuk", Camper and Abu Dhabi also, SILENT. Nobody who is a current or past factor has blessed this, much less announced they have bought in. Mike Sanderson thinks it's a good idea because it dumbs down the technical, more than financial requirements, how sad is that? Then his support could primarily be put down to trying to sell it to his Chinese clients.

Paying dividends? Only if you are Knut's lap puppy would you say that at this point in time.

Don't get me wrong, It's a good thing to have women sailing, All for that, but having a "women's" team has always been basically a gimmick, it's like Billie Jean King against whatever that chucklehead was, an outdated construct. I would be more impressed by a mixed team scenario, or a crew limit or fabrication where men and women are equally valued as crew.
The first women's team in a decade and you think that isn't a big benefit? Clueless. I dig one-design, and I support it completely. Strange that it makes me "Knut's Lap Puppy" in your eyes especially as I have offered more criticism of the VOR under Knut than anyone writing anything, but then again I wouldn't expect any less from you.

Just so you know the real story behind what you glean from what you read: Spain is fucked beyond economic belief, and the only reason there was a team this time is the King gave Tele an offer they couldn't refuse. That's exactly what it took. Groupama is one of three huge French sponsors that have left sailing and most of their big sponsorship deals, because France is almost as fucked as Spain. I imagine you wouldn't have missed Seahorse telling you about Veolia and Foncia leaving the sport too. Puma was out long ago, wouldn't have been in this one if Berg didn't pick up almost half the cost, and they've moved on to bigger spends with the Cup. And the fact that you think an all-chicks team is a gimmick? I'll just leave that one here so we can revisit it at a later date.

Heriberto

Super Anarchist

Mike Sanderson thinks it's a good idea because it dumbs down the technical, more than financial requirements, how sad is that? Then his support could primarily be put down to trying to sell it to his Chinese clients.

Ok so you do know that he has WON this race in the Volvo 70. So yeah pretty sure he is good at technical stuff. He got in the game late this year and thus had a slow boat. But I would check your facts before saying incorrect things.
Yes, I knew that. His interview in September Seahorse Moose specifically talks about both the financial AND technical hurdles being an obstacle to new boat entries. He sees it as an advantage that an OD program removes almost all of the technical hurdle. It removes the advantage of past (or future) team's technological advances, i.e. dumbs it down.

Not saying it's a bad thing to have a women's team, but yes it's a gimmick, just like having an under 25 boat, "all Canadian" boat or anything else like that. Otherwise, why are they doing it? Because it is the best way to win? I want more women in the sport, and think a more legitimate way to do it is maybe even require a certain percentage of women crew. Just ask yourself, even without a single other team being named, do you believe this team will be the odds on favorite to win? Yeah, ok.

Are the Spanish pissed about this? Why shouldn't they be, they got done about as dirty as you can get. Completely shut out in a backroom done deal after everything they (yes "The King", correction) have done for the Volvo. I don't exactly know how you can spin that Groupama, Puma, Telefonica, Ericsson, Berg, etc. are down and/or out and not coming back is somehow a "good" thing?

"It's happening", yes, well, when some serious contenders step up then you can say that. Facts not yet in evidence. While this is a welcome development, it's pretty minor compared to everything else that is falling out right now. I'm sorry I'm not drinking the koolaid, being a booster, all that, sorry to throw the wet blanket of actual reality on.

The truth hurts. The anarchy hurts.

Heriberto

Super Anarchist
Please pass the bong.

The first women's team in a decade and you think that isn't a big benefit? Clueless. I dig one-design, and I support it completely. Strange that it makes me "Knut's Lap Puppy" in your eyes especially as I have offered more criticism of the VOR under Knut than anyone writing anything, but then again I wouldn't expect any less from you.

Just so you know the real story behind what you glean from what you read: Spain is fucked beyond economic belief, and the only reason there was a team this time is the King gave Tele an offer they couldn't refuse. That's exactly what it took. Groupama is one of three huge French sponsors that have left sailing and most of their big sponsorship deals, because France is almost as fucked as Spain. I imagine you wouldn't have missed Seahorse telling you about Veolia and Foncia leaving the sport too. Puma was out long ago, wouldn't have been in this one if Berg didn't pick up almost half the cost, and they've moved on to bigger spends with the Cup. And the fact that you think an all-chicks team is a gimmick? I'll just leave that one here so we can revisit it at a later date.
Look, I understand you want this to succeed, but "paying dividends"? Come on. Seriously?

As for whether it's a gimmick, well, I'm not calling them an "all-chick" team, or talking about their "Swedish frames", so I guess I'm being disrespectful? The question is whether or not the Volvo is Grand Prix racing, or an adventure reality TV show. If it is the former, it's a gimmick to do anything other than bringing the best team possible, if it is the later, all fair game, just more spectacle. Is this going to be the best team possible? Well, they just excluded 50% of the talent pool, but then again, maybe so. We can revisit that at a later date when they name the team.

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Please pass the bong.

Yep, pass that Bong to Knut. The girlie boat is most probably a swedish/volvo stitch up to try and get the ball rolling. Let alone no boats interested, the ports are dropping away as well. Who would ante up $4 million plus for the privelege of hosting five or six boats for a week. Just does not add up. Galway organisers are desperately to get govt funding, but just can't see it a third time.

http://galwayindepen...-bid-stalemate-

bombarie

Not sure it doesn't add up. From the VOR site:

In May 2009 over 600,000 supporters visited the race village during the stopover, with the crowd peaking at 62,000 people on the In-Port Race day alone. The seaside resort of Salthill drew a further 120,000 visitors to watch the dramatic close-combat race from the shoreline.

Say they all drink two pints of Guinness, eat something, park their car. So each visitor spends EUR 10. That's EUR 7.2 MM of revenue for the region. Typical gross margin in the F&B business is 66%, so the "region" packs about EUR 4.5 MM in income (profit and wages). So it evens about out, and pays future dividends in brand name.

And, if Knut pulls this one of, we won't have 5 / 6 yachts pulling into harbor, put perhaps as much as 12 / 15 (okay this is wishful thinking but hey). Bigger spectacle, more people. Doesn't look like a total waste of money to me.

(But if I were an Irish politician, I would spend the scarce EUROs left elsewhere, and ask the local community to take this one on, if they think it is worth it).

roca

Anarchist
italy
I do not see how this team decision can be related to the new OD boat. It is the crew numbers' rule who can have affected. I bet they would have done the same on a VO 70 with 2 more crew than other teams. no particular reason for the new boat being interesting for a female crew.

I do not think he would have supported a OD VOR back in the days when he had the only 2 boats program, the earliest program and the biggest budget and the fastest boat. He did never complain about not being able to win that race with a boat performing as his competitors.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
The question is whether or not the Volvo is Grand Prix racing, or an adventure reality TV show.
False dichotomy. In order to have the first - at least in a sponsor-funded model - you also have to have the second and in a way that doesn't undermine the first. That's the circle that must be squared.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Say they all drink two pints of Guinness, eat something, park their car. So each visitor spends EUR 10. That's EUR 7.2 MM of revenue for the region. Typical gross margin in the F&B business is 66%, so the "region" packs about EUR 4.5 MM in income (profit and wages). So it evens about out, and pays future dividends in brand name.
Betcha there are 50 non-sailing proposals on the table that project ROI a whole lot better than just "evening out".

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Are the Spanish pissed about this? Why shouldn't they be, they got done about as dirty as you can get. Completely shut out in a backroom done deal after everything they (yes "The King", correction) have done for the Volvo.
Yeah well join the club. The Brits started it. Ran it for years. Now we don't even get a stop-over. "Anglo-Saxon dominated" is the biggest load of bollox going. It's a commercial event, that's the way it goes, get used to it.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I do not see how this team decision can be related to the new OD boat. It is the crew numbers' rule who can have affected. I bet they would have done the same on a VO 70 with 2 more crew than other teams. no particular reason for the new boat being interesting for a female crew.
The same rule was in effect last time.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
The question is whether or not the Volvo is Grand Prix racing, or an adventure reality TV show.
False dichotomy. In order to have the first - at least in a sponsor-funded model - you also have to have the second and in a way that doesn't undermine the first. That's the circle that must be squared.
I know that I am a lifelong F-1 fan in large part because of the heady 'reality show' days of Senna and Mansell and Prost, and because of the drama that Eccelstone's wars brought to the game. It's exactly what the ACWS is missing; personality and drama - or more importantly, someone getting the story out.