VOR '17-'18 - THE GAME

Marty6

Anarchist
Kempten
But...  you need to finish before they close the race.  If they close it while you're still at sea, you'll get nada.  And they haven't been announcing the closure date.  So don't kill yourself farming cards and then lose your crop by failing to finish at all.
In the iOS App (same on PC/Chrome) you can get the info regarding the closing date by touching the info icon (circled i) in each race tile on the home screen of the game.

Closing dates:

Mini Transat: 11/22

Transat Jacques Vabre: 11/23

VOR leg 2: 12/05

Clipper leg 3: 11/27

ThijsK

UK
I've seen some huge numbers.  In the last VOR, I went to Antarctica in on of the southern ocean legs, and I was further from the finish a week into it than when I started...  but...  that wound up being my first ever top 50 finish.  No need to worry about rankings before the final approach.

Regarding the routings...  it all depends on where you're routing to.  I'm currently routing to the middle of the South Atlantic, not Cape Town.  I don't want to spend the last week of this race going upwind.
I know the numbers aren't important but when was the last time the no/1 VOR player was in the bottom 20% of the leg rankings! Is there no way they can use some routing software to work out the eta of the players and rank them that way? I guess the downside of that is that it may create a sheeplike attitude.

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
I know the numbers aren't important but when was the last time the no/1 VOR player was in the bottom 20% of the leg rankings! Is there no way they can use some routing software to work out the eta of the players and rank them that way? I guess the downside of that is that it may create a sheeplike attitude.
Last edition of the VOR, the fleet (real and virtual) had to round Fernando de Noronha, so the early rankings were based on the distance to that turning mark.  But situations like this are typical in things like the Vendee Globe Race, where the first turning mark is the Cape of Good Hope.  You get used to it.  I actually like it this way...  I spend the first week in the tank watching all the artificial excitement about the people over by Africa, and then the second week churning through the fleet.

I don't think I'm doing all that well so far.  Multiple boats have crossed me by more than 2 nm.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
I don't think I'm doing all that well so far.  Multiple boats have crossed me by more than 2 nm.
Well you got me on your hip so you aren't doing well at all.   :lol:

I had my zezo router going to Fernando since the start because I saw projected out that it would be up wind to the finish if I went the African coast route.  That does not look appealing so I kept pointed at Fernando until the Cape Town routing kept me away from Africa.  I also wanted to catch the train off south america like last time regardless if it was right or not.  Thats a lot of fun. 

WetHog   :ph34r:

Breitling

Anarchist
The problem using Fernando as waypoint for routing is that it makes you go west in excess. I've chosen an arbitrary waypoint about 500 nm south of the point where I want to cross the Doldrums ad join there St Helen system as usual. Let's see if we mid group can beat Mom's one. East one is defeated I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

RunSampRun

Annapolis
I'm not sure how long this will last, but I'm in top 1000 at the moment. Gonna play the inshore game for a bit. 

HKG1203

been watching this thread for a while, my username is HKG1203. Been having the same struggles as Hogg with the routing and making a decision between getting more south or west at this point. played the middle for a while then went relatively hard for the west, got your mom up the transom so can't be looking too bad! will be interesting to see how the intersection goes with the more southerly boats such as Breitling in a few days.

Greetings all, I'm in. Add me to the rankings list. Totally shat the bed on the first leg getting used to this game. I had to buy a new home computer. Thankfully(maybe..., stupid sailing addiction) I'm back in business. Solid internet at home, work & mobile. Let's show these fuckers how to sail.

theadmiralty

Everyones going South East to Africa but the wind is set to die over there. I'm heading South West now.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
The problem using Fernando as waypoint for routing is that it makes you go west in excess. I've chosen an arbitrary waypoint about 500 nm south of the point where I want to cross the Doldrums ad join there St Helen system as usual. Let's see if we mid group can beat Mom's one. East one is defeated I think.
Well, honestly, at the start of the leg I thought Fernando was a weigh point again this edition so I set it there from the start.  Then half way through day 1 I couldn't figure out why so many were going the opposite direction from me I found out there is no Fernando weigh point this time.  Then I kept using it until zezo didn't have me routing back to the African coast because I still wanted to be west.  So ignorance, initially, had me using Fernando.   :lol:

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
been watching this thread for a while, my username is HKG1203. Been having the same struggles as Hogg with the routing and making a decision between getting more south or west at this point. played the middle for a while then went relatively hard for the west, got your mom up the transom so can't be looking too bad! will be interesting to see how the intersection goes with the more southerly boats such as Breitling in a few days.
We got a nice group of 4 then.  You, Mom, Upperdecker and myself.  I like our chances.  ;)

Also, welcome, and show us your......never mind!   :lol:

Added

Greetings all, I'm in. Add me to the rankings list. Totally shat the bed on the first leg getting used to this game. I had to buy a new home computer. Thankfully(maybe..., stupid sailing addiction) I'm back in business. Solid internet at home, work & mobile. Let's show these fuckers how to sail.
Can’t seem to find your boat. 

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Ruh-roh!  Someone among us has gone into stealth mode!   :eek:

I wanted to do that myself a couple days ago but you need 2 stealth mode cards and I only have 1.   <_<

found it. Added.

Latest posts