VOR '17-'18 - THE GAME

14E8CFB5-BB9A-42D7-A9FE-30DDC3CB4C7F.jpeg Next three days could be fun...

3DF0F37E-2F11-4C80-93D5-3B0DE491628F.jpeg

https://www.windy.com/?11.200,-22.983,5,m:dTTafrv

Last edited by a moderator:

Hydrogene

Anarchist
Paris
I'm out. I've been playing Virtual Regatta since the creation of the game (I remember the first virtual Vendee!), but this card system and the weather forecast that you have to unlock is getting on my nerves. I'm not serious enough to use Zezo, and I hate feeling milked by this random-lootboxes system (and I paid for all the options for some Vendees...)

I'm kind of sad as I really like the emulation I found in this SA group of virtual sailors. And I loved looking at the weather forecast, as it helps me understand the choices made by the boats in real life.

Bye, and fair winds to you all!

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Here’s a good screen shot of many of the B group. 

Nov. 9th 2:00 UTC 
Thanks for assembling those images occasionally.  Very interesting to see them each time they're posted.  Many of the top boats in the world rankings are spread out on a line between near my latitude and HKG's, between the longitude of Jahmbo and Tommmzzz.

HKG1203

Thanks for assembling those images occasionally.  Very interesting to see them each time they're posted.  Many of the top boats in the world rankings are spread out on a line between near my latitude and HKG's, between the longitude of Jahmbo and Tommmzzz.
It will be quite interesting to see who comes out on top from it. I tried to get a bit more west yesterday hence going incognito but the lack of doldrums made that infeasible. Probably lost a bit in the zig zag. I'm currently liking the position of swedesailor. Will be interesting how we end up in a couple of days

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
I hadn't noticed swedesailor.  Yeah...  He looks pretty good.

Realistically, it's a gradual selection.  The boat that emerges from the doldrums with a slight edge isn't likely to hold on for the win.  The goal right now is simply to be a part of the pack of boats that emerges first.

Of course, there's always the chance of an end run surprising everyone.  There might be someone going hard West now, who will be in 50,000th place over by FdN in a couple days, who will suddenly go around that entire lead back to win by 10 nm.  That's the fun of legs like this one...  you don't really know until the final approach.

Ps: Zezo has recovered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't noticed swedesailor.  Yeah...  He looks pretty good.

Realistically, it's a gradual selection.  The boat that emerges from the doldrums with a slight edge isn't likely to hold on for the win.  The goal right now is simply to be a part of the pack of boats that emerges first.

Of course, there's always the chance of an end run surprising everyone.  There might be someone going hard West now, who will be in 50,000th place over by FdN in a couple days, who will suddenly go around that entire lead back to win by 10 nm.  That's the fun of legs like this one...  you don't really know until the final approach.

Ps: Zezo has recovered.
It always takes me time to remember lessons revealed in previous games.  But, since I only compete in the Vendee or VOR game, by the time the next one comes around, the lessons have joined most of the other flaff that advanced age has relegated to dim awareness.

Breitling and I shared a similar strategy for getting west and,  unbeknownst to him, I used his route to measure the effectiveness of my naviguessing.  In the end, we both have tucked in behind the group surrounding Your Mom.  Our strategy of stepping west lost us 4 or 5 hours to Mom's group even though the Mercator projection had me looking good at times.

Lesson re-learned:  if you want to do westing or easting, remember that longitudes are closer together nearer the poles and distance sailed is only the same as between latitudes at the equator.  Wind pressure and angle were not enough to overcome the committed dash west at a higher latitude. So, wrong strategy, in spite of what I consider a brilliant tactical job in chipping away AT LEAST 11 nm on Breitling's sorry ass!

Sure thing. It's kind of fun at least having a small group of slightly less than random strangers to compete against. It's better than the random group of boats they put on your view. 

Latest posts