VOR 2014-2015 - Leg 2

Flap

Qld
I was just checking the tracker, still showing TVW . Is the ais still running? Stand alone power? Nico said they lost power. Or does the software just leave it parked?

Also does anyone know the ZOC for that reef? There are some parts of the East Coast of oz are still using captain cooks soundings.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Well! MAPFRE is certainly sailing in winds we can't see in the Virtual Tracker.

Tracker weather looks close enough for ADOR, (nice 60º lift and a bit stronger than forecast)

MAPFRE boat readings show 5 knots of wind from the southeast 155º

while the Tracker shows they should have expected 4.7 from the northwest 319º

So, I can keep hoping that Nélias is right, even though the leaders look to be able to so easily cover whatever happens south of them.

Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 7.24.44 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterRobin

Gold Coast
Alvimedica is doing very well to catch up after the time they lost at the reef. I thought they would have been left much further behind.

SailBlue

I was just checking the tracker, still showing TVW . Is the ais still running? Stand alone power? Nico said they lost power. Or does the software just leave it parked?
If the stern section of the boat is gone I don't see how it could still be sending out info since thats where the comm. tower is

peragrin

Super Anarchist
If the stern section of the boat is gone I don't see how it could still be sending out info since thats where the comm. tower is
there are many definitions of gone too. The stern filled with water qualifies as gone.
Don't read too literally until you have all the information.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
MAPFRE's split is getting a lot of attention. Here are two of my favourites:

Mark Turner@oc_markturner 7h

7 hours agoAlicante, Valencia
tweeted "I wish I had the brains to understand this big move of @desafiomapfre but Jean-Luc you have genuinely beaten me! #VOR"

DongFeng's French sailors are noticing "a big hand"
Right now the Spanish, with a new French navigator onboard called Jean-Luc Nélias, very well known to our own French sailors, is playing a big hand as MAPFRE make a radical move splitting from the fleet, trying to find another way around the huge wind hole appearing ahead of the leaders. Only a Frenchman like Jean-Luc would probably take such a gamble to split from the fleet, as we’ve seen perhaps the opposite tactic of what Abu Dhabi Skipper Ian Walker did earlier this leg, sailing back to re-join the fleet. It will be many days before we know who is right.
http://www.dongfengraceteam.cn/news/view/very-sad-news-as-team-vestas-wind-grounds-on-reef-and-crew-abandon-yacht

Psych speculation is more entertaining than the blame game.

There was so little upside to what Mapfre did, and now look where they are. You guys who are stuck thinking this is some kind of virtual router's race are living in fantasy land. This a one design race, and basic, one design tactics are the only way to win this series. Risk mitigation.

there are many definitions of gone too. The stern filled with water qualifies as gone.
Don't read too literally until you have all the information.
The boat is history. Chris Nicholson has basically said that. They are stripping it.

southerncross

Super Anarchist
There was so little upside to what Mapfre did, and now look where they are. You guys who are stuck thinking this is some kind of virtual router's race are living in fantasy land. This a one design race, and basic, one design tactics are the only way to win this series. Risk mitigation.
Don't forget attrition.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Don't forget attrition.

..indeed.

.....I'm liking SCA's long-term approach. ........keep it moving,,don't break anything,,sniff around a bit,,enjoy yourselves a lot,, and wait for the other's to -implode- :)

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Don't forget attrition.

..indeed.

.....I'm liking SCA's long-term approach. ........keep it moving,,don't break anything,,sniff around a bit,,enjoy yourselves a lot,, and wait for the other's to -implode- :)
Doing a `Bradbury' is a tactic of sorts...

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Steif

"So, I'll be interested who ends up with your loyalty and SC's better answer (then SCA)."

Since Vestas is out, I think I'll go with Mapfre. SCA will always be my sentimental favorite. But Mapfre seems like a rowdy bunch and a little more interesting to follow.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Geez. Mapfre better watch out for that other string of islands and atolls to the NE.

. ...''Islands?...I don't see no stink'n islands'' :rolleyes:

...3:40....Mapf still is staggering along in 4kts..150dtl,,,while Alvi's at 137-great comeback from samaritan duties. It'll be interesting to see how VO decides compensation for time lost.

...Abbu,,,Brunel,,Dong all within 12nm

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Since Vestas is out, I think I'll go with Mapfre. SCA will always be my sentimental favorite. But Mapfre seems like a rowdy bunch and a little more interesting to follow.

Cheers. The dark horse club it is. MAPFRE is also an antipodiumer (got 1st on the anti podium in the last leg).

More interesting wind readings from the boats on the last schedule--the leaders are parking in dying westerlies, MAPFRE is in slightly better easterlies, so we'll perhaps get a chance to see why Néias and Iker though going north was too risky. They are pretty conservative, judging by the wide margin they gave the Sud Isle, and they proved their boat speed confidence over the previous week. So, maybe they are wiser than Fox News trolls.

Will be fun to watch: They'll generate lore for future races in these anti-Atlantic waters. Oh, and to see whether the leaders cover the splits below