VOR 2017-18

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
On 2016-01-22 at 2:09 AM, Herman said:

Tom Touber steps down as VOR Race Director. He stays involved in the VOR for The Netherlands trying to push Simeon Tienpont as skipper for a new VO65. He wants to bundle the 3 Dutch initiatives into one effort. And he wants to sell the Brunel boat to another team. Tienpont is already under contract for the next AC, which coincides in 2017 with the next VOR. So pushing this seems a bit strange to me.

The Hague has put in a bid as 24 hours-stopover like in the last edition.

Source (in Dutch).
Interesting and confusing. Looks like a new org chart and profiles needed for the VOR site, which still lists Tom Touber as Chief Operating Officer http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/join-us.htmland http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/people/325_Tom-Touber.html

Herman, google translates "zegde" as "terminated". Your "steps down" seems more accurate. True? Not sure, too, when Touber voted against Brunel's sponsorship of the VOR.
Help anyone? Can't find Herman's post, nor the old VOR org chart linked above.

No big deal. Just scratching an old mote botherin' me mind's eye.

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Wayback Machine?

Tom Tauber
Join Us

There is also the old people page which had all (most?) employees last round. (Shore) team members too.
That made sense, so off to the chopping block with it for this edition....

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Wayback Machine?

Tom Tauber
Join Us

There is also the old people page which had all (most?) employees last round. (Shore) team members too.
That made sense, so off to the chopping block with it for this edition....
Thanks as ever for your internet magic. Ironically, the current VOR site does have a bit of a public org chart--just not easily accessible.

e.g., http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/people/348_Karin-Backlund.html 

Guess they forgot to chop, hide or link it. Can't tell what is policy or inadvertent any more. Oh well. The racing is great. Looking forward to the in-port race, even if Phil Laurence signed off on the official notice that the race happened January 5 .  Inadvertent mistake, I'd guess.

More importantly, where's Herman's post? Probably  just an inadvertent glitch in the forum software. 

bruce

watching mainsail on CNN ...  with all the experienced ocean racers out there why would Brunel risk having inshore racers who have never done an offshore boat race for them ... seems a bold move to me 

Merit 25

Super Anarchist
VA and MD USA
I have wondered the same.  Some check the box of the under 30 crowd, others check the box for the female sailors on board, but it surprises me that so many people get to do a leg in this race with little to no overnight sailing, much less one for hundreds/thousands of miles.  

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
^^^^^ A NZ company that treats the locals as suckers. For example the wonderfull Vesper XB-8000 AIS.

US price - $730 USD (Defender).

NZ price - $1,012 USD (On-line).

forss

Anarchist
Am I only one who thinks that VOR "beach cleaning" PR events are pretty pathetic?

Guys picking up stuff on beach without shoes and gloves. It looks like 2min video event, not cleaning.

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Just a tiny bit. Ok, a lot.
It just does not compare favorably to one of the "clean up the neighborhood" drives. Those tend to end with a photo of a trailer full of trash at the end of the day. Even when the elementary school does it.  :lol:

Rskiff

Does anyone else find it so pathetic that boats that fail to finish a leg(s) can still beat boats that actually complete the whole "around the world race". I think the scoring system sucks.