VOR 2017-18

staysail

Super Anarchist
No one agrees with you about anything staysail, especially since it is so obvious you have no relevant knowledge of how the commercial side of sailing works. If you have real world experience, great - share it. Otherwise, my goal is simply to make sure every reader knows that your opinions are entirely fanboy shit with no basis in reality.
Well folks, coming from Clean, our favourite self-styled top sailing expert with the real world experience of a Methuseleh and the wisdom of Solomon, I reckon this is a welcome compliment!

Here is a lady who did more for women in ocean sailing than any others, and without any positive discrimination that I know of, (I'm sure Clean will put me right if that's not the case!) Check out the subsequent sailing careers of her crews on Maiden and Royal and Sun Alliance. The sport needs a few more like her!

Tracy.jpg

Just A Skosh

Super Anarchist
New Hampshire
No one agrees with you about anything staysail, especially since it is so obvious you have no relevant knowledge of how the commercial side of sailing works. If you have real world experience, great - share it. Otherwise, my goal is simply to make sure every reader knows that your opinions are entirely fanboy shit with no basis in reality.
Well folks, coming from Clean, our favourite self-styled top sailing expert with the real world experience of a Methuseleh and the wisdom of Solomon, I reckon this is a welcome compliment!
Here is a lady who did more for women in ocean sailing than any others, and without any positive discrimination that I know of, (I'm sure Clean will put me right if that's not the case!) Check out the subsequent sailing careers of her crews on Maiden and Royal and Sun Alliance. The sport needs a few more like her!
I thought you said the sport already has women like her, but they're not getting the chances they deserve because of evil misogynistic men.

staysail

Super Anarchist
I thought you said the sport already has women like her, but they're not getting the chances they deserve because of evil misogynistic men.
She gave many good female sailors a big leg up on the professional ladder because as well as a sailor, she could put projects together. We don't see many women now with the same ambition to get projects going. I can't think of anyone comparable.

staysail

Super Anarchist
So the problem isn't the male dominated sport, the problem is that there aren't any women comparable to Tracy Edwards? That's what I hear you saying.
Well, if there has only been one like Tracy and there have been many male run and male crewed projects, and very few female equivalents, that would make it male dominated, or am I missing something?

staysail

Super Anarchist
Tracy's problems are no secret Clean (although of course you, fount of all sailing wisdom, will know more about that than anyone else on the planet) but you say "all the good she did unravelled..".

I guess you have checked that statement out, for example with the crewmembers of Royal and Sun Alliance ? Oh, silly me! Of course you have. You would never make such a bold statement without having solid evidence to back it up!

And by the way, she spells her first name "Tracy", - but of course you knew that too!

jonas a

Super Anarchist
It's a bit of an irony that back in the 80's when the only sailors who actually were fit were the Finn sailors and despite that no one really considered women as serious racers apart from a few. I guess it was more about being "professional" with thw liquor that mattered in those days.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
She gave many good female sailors a big leg up on the professional ladder because as well as a sailor, she could put projects together. We don't see many women now with the same ambition to get projects going. I can't think of anyone comparable.
TJV_HISTOIRE_Florence-color-e1452622573598.jpg

How about Florence Arthaud? Winner of the Route de Rhum, and co-founder of the Jules Verne Trophy. Tituoan Lamazou often used to say that each JV race he silently dedicated to Florence because of the impact she had on French sailing.

Not too shabby.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
This is all just a desparate politically correct move and will do nothing to help women in sailing. To prove their sailing ability (and ROI value) women need to compete against men in this sport, not cosy up alongside them. Can you see any other reason why the most famous and most successful women sailors have all had to go down the solo-sailing route to make their names.
You said it well here, they should compete against men. Well, I fucking HATE to be on a female team - because it turns into a battle between the sexes. This battle is absolutely no fun and not what sailing should be about. I want to be there as a PERSON and not as a representative of women. Only if 50% of the fleet were female teams, would you remove this battle. And we all know that will never happen.

Having mixed crews is the only way to make female sailors a natural part of a team. They will be able to prove their sailing abilities without any focus on their sex.
Good point. If a "mixed" team is allowed with the under 30's rule, and as previously mentioned nobody batted an eyelid, why should a "mixed" team of the sexes be any different?

I did follow SCA as it was interesting seeing the all-girls mix it with the all-guys, but for female participation I think mixed teams is far better for the sport.

Volvo had to write in the rules for under 30's, this is no different?

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Will be a matchracing experience since only two teams subscribed so far.?

Charles Caudrelier, Simeon Tienpoint.

What happened with the enthusiasm of the other teams?

Team SCA

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing

Dongfeng Race Team

Team Brunel

Alvimedica

MAPFRE

Team Vestas Wind

For the last team an opportunity to finally do the complete tour.

Is Vestas restored just for the beauty of sailing or to race?

Here is a link that Dong Feng is being refitted:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9334_Introducing-Dongfeng.html

For the beauty of sailing or to race the new VOR?

Or to race the international regatta's like Sydney Hobart, Fastnet, Voiles des St. Barth,

Heineken Regatta and RORC Carribean 600?

These boats have huge racing potentials..

JeronimoII

Anarchist
Europe
Will be a matchracing experience since only two teams subscribed so far.?

Charles Caudrelier, Simeon Tienpoint.

What happened with the enthusiasm of the other teams?

Team SCA

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing

Dongfeng Race Team

Team Brunel

Alvimedica

MAPFRE

Team Vestas Wind

For the last team an opportunity to finally do the complete tour.

Is Vestas restored just for the beauty of sailing or to race?

Here is a link that Dong Feng is being refitted:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9334_Introducing-Dongfeng.html

For the beauty of sailing or to race the new VOR?

Or to race the international regatta's like Sydney Hobart, Fastnet, Voiles des St. Barth,

Heineken Regatta and RORC Carribean 600?

These boats have huge racing potentials..

Schakel, scroll up the thread to get answer to your questions about SCA, Alvimedica, Abu Dhabi and Vestas... From your list only Mapfre and possibly Brunel/Bekking are in for this edition. But since they are building an eight boat we should expect 7-8 boats at the start. Lots of speculation about who they are...

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Pretty good summary (not just a rehash) of the gender issue in YW http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/volvo-ocean-race-rule-set-to-force-change-for-women-sailors-97932 Some voices, like Sam's, not included, but pretty good nonetheless. As Abby Ehler says, it will take time:

This is a real cultural change. It’s a bold move – it’s a little like the Nacra class, it’s going to take a little while for people to adjust to the change, but like everything change equals progress.
Back to the important questions: who will participate this round?

Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada

JeronimoII

Anarchist
Europe
If Mapfre are in it's really Iker Marrinez's time to win it!
Doubtful, sorry to say (though I was hoping this would be his year). He's been carded for the World Match Racing Tour, http://wmrt.com/skippers/# and is currently racing with M32 Movistar. So, awaiting news of a skipper. Xabi?

I can imagine that Iker could do both things at the same time. There are no currently WMRT events scheduled in the fall of 2017. (He has done it before, e.g. running his Olympic campaign during the 2011-12 VOR)