VOR 2017-18

Alysun

Australia
DF boat looks to be ready with new a new slick paint job. It's the same boat isn't it ?

By the way are all the teams limited in how many training days they can get on the boat or not ?

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Hi Asylum

Yes indeed same boat

I don't think teams are limited to the number of training days as it would them be pointless for a team to enter sooner and gain more practice - that would not be in the interest of the VOR organisers as I am sure they would want to fill the 'grid' as quickly as possible.

Get in quick and ten give your guys lots of time becoming more and more familiar with the boat.

Dongfeng will have some returnees who I am sure looking forward to being reunited with the lady who was (unexpectedly) so successful last time.

Perhaps this time they may find a target on their back especially with Charles bringing home such an excellent result in the recent Rolex Sydney Hobart with a joint crew from Dongfeng and UBox.

Looking forward to seeing her on the water.

SS

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
If Mapfre are in it's really Iker Marrinez's time to win it!

Doubtful, sorry to say (though I was hoping this would be his year). He's been carded for the World Match Racing Tour, http://wmrt.com/skippers/# and is currently racing with M32 Movistar. So, awaiting news of a skipper. Xabi?
I can imagine that Iker could do both things at the same time. There are no currently WMRT events scheduled in the fall of 2017. (He has done it before, e.g. running his Olympic campaign during the 2011-12 VOR)

Yes, that schedule looks less like a conflict, and maybe the experience attempting two campaigns last time will help this time.

Also, I see M32s will be used as part of the VOR (foreshadowing multihulls?) http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9270_M32-catamarans-to-be-used-for-guest-sailing-in-8-Host-Cities.html so Iker's experience with M32s might still keep him connected.

Guess MAPFRE are holding off announcing their entry while they get more of the details nailed down.

Last edited by a moderator:

ITA602

Italy
I don't think teams are limited to the number of training days as it would them be pointless for a team to enter sooner and gain more practice - that would not be in the interest of the VOR organisers as I am sure they would want to fill the 'grid' as quickly as possible.

Get in quick and ten give your guys lots of time becoming more and more familiar with the boat.
the only limitation I see is that the sails can become old very quickly. During the last edition each team had only two sails set available for both training and race... if one team starts very early this could be a problem.

I guess also that DF will be shipped to china for corporate sailing in spring and then back to Alicante in summer, therefore being in the water so early could be a necessity.

P!

Francis Vaughan

Super Anarchist
the only limitation I see is that the sails can become old very quickly. During the last edition each team had only two sails set available for both training and race... if one team starts very early this could be a problem.
Whilst there were two sets of sails, they are one for training and one for race. Only by application to the IJ could a training sail be used to replace a race sail. The implementation of which didn't work out terribly well. There is thus only a slight advantage to not working the training sails hard - if you managed to totally destroy a race sail, accidentally, and the IJ decided that the shattered rags could not be satisfactorily glued back together, then you might just be allowed to use your training sail.

I suspect that this time the implementation of the rules will be a bit more clear-cut and sensible wrt to sail replacement, but otherwise, there is not a lot of advantage to not training hard.

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Would be utterly stupid not to clear up the rules a bit with the lessons learned in the previous edition.

Does not mean that there won't be new issues...

Starting early seems to be a good idea if you want to win, and have to integrate new crew. Will be interesting to see how well they manage to do that before the start.

kayaker59

So the Boatyard plan is to roll boats out every 3 weeks. Doesn't that mean an announcement of a new team soon since the last bay is for team branding and AZO should be out soon? 277 days to go!

staysail

Super Anarchist
Reckon this needs to be posted here; not just on the VG thread.

Seems very clear that the present OD formula for the VOR is not what grabs the following. I fear Mark T has inherited a poison chalice. It is the VG which is captuing the imagination.

Also the forss tracker has revolutionised the "user interface" for anyone who wants to follow a long ocean race. Even a non-sailing layman can easily see the sort of problems the skippers face with routing choices, and with all previous trackers this has not really been possible.

This year's VG must have a lot of good lessons right there for organisers (and rule formulators) to learn from.

VOR.jpg

ITA602

Italy
So the Boatyard plan is to roll boats out every 3 weeks. Doesn't that mean an announcement of a new team soon since the last bay is for team branding and AZO should be out soon? 277 days to go!
Is MAPFRE still in Sanxexo? The boatyard has a very though job if they have refit all the boats in a decent time....

In the launch video of DF, it can be seen Brunel still in the water.

Captain_Mavic

Sanxenxo
Is MAPFRE still in Sanxexo? The boatyard has a very though job if they have refit all the boats in a decent time....

In the launch video of DF, it can be seen Brunel still in the water.

I was in Sanxenxo in November and Mapfre had already left...so probably is in Portugal for a long time

JMore

UK

Seems very clear that the present OD formula for the VOR is not what grabs the following. I fear Mark T has inherited a poison chalice. It is the VG which is captuing the imagination.

Also the forss tracker has revolutionised the "user interface" for anyone who wants to follow a long ocean race. Even a non-sailing layman can easily see the sort of problems the skippers face with routing choices, and with all previous trackers this has not really been possible.

This year's VG must have a lot of good lessons right there for organisers (and rule formulators) to learn from.
Agreed.

They really need to sort out the tracker. The official one was woeful last time. Volodia did a better job but the options we've had for the VG this time have been excellent. The frequency of the updates from the teams needs to be looked at too as well as the number and quality of official news updates (The VG manages three live updates a day with top sailing talent as guests for each one).

trimfast

Anarchist

Agreed.

They really need to sort out the tracker. The official one was woeful last time. Volodia did a better job but the options we've had for the VG this time have been excellent. The frequency of the updates from the teams needs to be looked at too as well as the number and quality of official news updates (The VG manages three live updates a day with top sailing talent as guests for each one).
Is there an ability to run hourly updates on trackers without all the boats receiving the same updates? I would think that increasing the information to viewers would be awesome, if they could control it for the teams somehow. I know data and the costs to transmit could make this out of reach, but perhaps it is possible. It would also be awesome if each boat had a camera that was live at times. Maybe a spreader mounted one that could be rotated by viewers.

JMore

UK

Agreed.

Is there an ability to run hourly updates on trackers without all the boats receiving the same updates? I would think that increasing the information to viewers would be awesome, if they could control it for the teams somehow. I know data and the costs to transmit could make this out of reach, but perhaps it is possible. It would also be awesome if each boat had a camera that was live at times. Maybe a spreader mounted one that could be rotated by viewers.
The VOR organisers know the location of all boats at all times. I can't recall how often they get updates but it is frequent. The boats don't have open internet access to prevent outside assistance so I can't see why wouldn't be able to get hourly, or even near live updates on a tracker.

notallthere

Super Anarchist
im on a boat!
If Mapfre are in it's really Iker Marrinez's time to win it!
Doubtful, sorry to say (though I was hoping this would be his year). He's been carded for the World Match Racing Tour, http://wmrt.com/skippers/# and is currently racing with M32 Movistar. So, awaiting news of a skipper. Xabi?
I can imagine that Iker could do both things at the same time. There are no currently WMRT events scheduled in the fall of 2017. (He has done it before, e.g. running his Olympic campaign during the 2011-12 VOR)
Yes, that schedule looks less like a conflict, and maybe the experience attempting two campaigns last time will help this time.

Also, I see M32s will be used as part of the VOR (foreshadowing multihulls?) http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9270_M32-catamarans-to-be-used-for-guest-sailing-in-8-Host-Cities.html so Iker's experience with M32s might still keep him connected.

Guess MAPFRE are holding off announcing their entry while they get more of the details nailed down.
No Cite. Heard from a mate who did the last edition with them and has signed up again

Latest posts