VOR 2017-18

jonas a

Super Anarchist
Don't think any team is final yet. Anyway, the sponsors themselves will also put their own constaraints on the "recruiting process", so not a big deal. Also pretty sure most crews will be solid when the boats cross the starting line next fall.

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
I'm sure a lot of teams will keep Mum about their final line-ups as well so as not to give away their ratio and for other teams to work out the strengths of the males and females in either side of the split. For sure it will become another tactic.

jonas a

Super Anarchist
For sure it will become another tactic.
Good point. Also many legs so there will certainly be different setups depending on length and toughness.

Another thing. A bit off-topic, but wondering how far these new US immigration rules will eventually go. Hope it won't lead to

unecessary problems / more bureaucracy for the newport stop over?

Last edited by a moderator:

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
Good point. Also many legs so there will certainly be different setups depending on length and toughness.

Another thing. A bit off-topic, but wondering how far these new US immigration rules will eventually go. Hope it won't lead to

What, the Trump banned women also?

:ph34r:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama

I thought he liked pussy?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I can only see progress for women in this race in one of two ways.

1) Someone steps above the parapet and get a project up and running as project leader and appoints a female skipper. How about Dee Caffari having a go with a UK team? She has been making noise about women in this sport, has sailed in several legs of the last VOR, and has managed to secure sponsors for projects before.). The boat could have a couple of token male crew members, e.g. a "grinder" or two!

2) Women should boycott the event! Make em all race with a crerw of 7! Show the men you can't be manipulated.

Otherwise its back to the bad old days of complete male dominance, even worse than before, with "token women" only included because of a pc rule!

You know what would be great? If you would just take a break from these forums and spend the next month calling every corporate executive you know so you can raise the money for Dee's Volvo team. Until then, it would also be great if you'd refrain from opining on just what 'should' happen in the VOR.

ITA602

Italy
How ended the AIS story? Will the new boat have it on board or not? Modifications for a "ghost mode"?

I tried to seach on this topic, but too many "AIS related posts"

Thanks!

jonas a

Super Anarchist

I thought he liked pussy?
yeah...didn't plan to go all political in this thread, but there could be some extra headache for international sport events in general if all the athletes who have any connection to a middle eastern country will be treated like criminals. Anyways lots of confusion right now.

staysail

Super Anarchist

1) Someone steps above the parapet and get a project up and running as project leader and appoints a female skipper. How about Dee Caffari having a go with a UK team? She has been making noise about women in this sport, has sailed in several legs of the last VOR, and has managed to secure sponsors for projects before.). The boat could have a couple of token male crew members, e.g. a "grinder" or two!

2) Women should boycott the event! Make em all race with a crerw of 7! Show the men you can't be manipulated.

Otherwise its back to the bad old days of complete male dominance, even worse than before, with "token women" only included because of a pc rule!

You know what would be great? If you would just take a break from these forums and spend the next month calling every corporate executive you know so you can raise the money for Dee's Volvo team. Until then, it would also be great if you'd refrain from opining on just what 'should' happen in the VOR.
I seriously think Dee is indeed trying hard - , but it would be just great if a wise, influential, and well-connected individual i.e. yourself, is lobbying hard on her behalf instead of just whingeing at anyone who doesn't share your pc opinion. I would just love to see a real female entry with an optimum number of crew members racing against all male teams of 7 each; and i think I can guess which team would show the best ROI!

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
I seriously think Dee is indeed trying hard - , but it would be just great if a wise, influential, and well-connected individual i.e. yourself, is lobbying hard on her behalf instead of just whingeing at anyone who doesn't share your pc opinion. I would just love to see a real female entry with an optimum number of crew members racing against all male teams of 7 each; and i think I can guess which team would show the best ROI!
She's presenting on a boat show in Gothenburg this coming Saturday. I'm going, and if she doesn't talk about this new crew rule in her presentation, I'll try to ask her after.

JeronimoII

Anarchist
Europe
Mapfre officially announced today (at last). No news about skipper, though. "In the next months..." the press release says

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States

Really? Many of the posts on this thread are related to what 'should' happen to the VOR. I see folks from the VG have come over and now trash the VOR for being OD, arguments abound on should we AIS or not, should we live video or not, should the rules be more clear or not so speculating on an all woman team in the VOR fits right in. As another pointed out, you, more than many here have the access and network to perhaps open doors for Dee to walk through. End of the day she needs to sell it, but it should not be a hard sell.

SCA had to have had a great ROI from promoting an all women team and many of the members had gone on to hone skills to remain competitive at that level. So before you go berating folks that have little influence in the sailing world, you might turn the mirror around and ask the same question to yourself. If you thought an All woman team was a viable option for this race, how about you, the man win the rolodex knock on some doors of executives, start a SA GoFundMe account or be a primary sponsor yourself and take Sailing Anarchy to the next level.

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist

Really? Many of the posts on this thread are related to what 'should' happen to the VOR. I see folks from the VG have come over and now trash the VOR for being OD, arguments abound on should we AIS or not, should we live video or not, should the rules be more clear or not so speculating on an all woman team in the VOR fits right in. As another pointed out, you, more than many here have the access and network to perhaps open doors for Dee to walk through. End of the day she needs to sell it, but it should not be a hard sell.
SCA had to have had a great ROI from promoting an all women team and many of the members had gone on to hone skills to remain competitive at that level. So before you go berating folks that have little influence in the sailing world, you might turn the mirror around and ask the same question to yourself. If you thought an All woman team was a viable option for this race, how about you, the man win the rolodex knock on some doors of executives, start a SA GoFundMe account or be a primary sponsor yourself and take Sailing Anarchy to the next level.
I didn't know that mr. Clean was so connected to global corporations that he could talk them into sponsoring a team.....

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States

I didn't know that mr. Clean was so connected to global corporations that he could talk them into sponsoring a team.....
Unless Staysail is hiding something that only Mr. Clean knows, I doubt Staysail is as well connected. Clean jets around, talks to important people and if he has not pissed them off with his scintellating personality, could be a force to open doors, make introductions, or get close enough to drop ideas.

At the end of the last VOR I had said that were I to win the lottery I'd be happy to sponsor an all female team. First, because the testosterone ceiling in this sport needs to be broken. The Magenta Project did well in the M32s, we've seen success in other venues and in races such as the VOR, the playing field is much more level. Second, because there is a good ROI in supporting not only an all female team, but in inspiring more women into sailing so down the road, there are more opportunities for mixed crews simply because there are qualified and competent women to choose from.

There are times when CLEAN talks loud, but walks pretty soft.

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist

Unless Staysail is hiding something that only Mr. Clean knows, I doubt Staysail is as well connected. Clean jets around, talks to important people and if he has not pissed them off with his scintellating personality, could be a force to open doors, make introductions, or get close enough to drop ideas.
At the end of the last VOR I had said that were I to win the lottery I'd be happy to sponsor an all female team. First, because the testosterone ceiling in this sport needs to be broken. The Magenta Project did well in the M32s, we've seen success in other venues and in races such as the VOR, the playing field is much more level. Second, because there is a good ROI in supporting not only an all female team, but in inspiring more women into sailing so down the road, there are more opportunities for mixed crews simply because there are qualified and competent women to choose from.

There are times when CLEAN talks loud, but walks pretty soft.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm kind d of tired of hearing that there should be a female team. I'm not against it of course, but I think they have tried their best and simply didn't make it. Probably many don't make it. It's not necessarily about gender. And almost forcing the teams to add women is a great opportunity for female sailors.

mad

Super Anarchist

Ask Clean about the SA americas cup saga and where the money went.

staysail

Super Anarchist
I can only speak for myself, but I'm kind d of tired of hearing that there should be a female team. I'm not against it of course, but I think they have tried their best and simply didn't make it. Probably many don't make it. It's not necessarily about gender. And almost forcing the teams to add women is a great opportunity for female sailors.
You just don't seem to understand just how hard this race is or just how well Sam Davies' crew did in the last VOR. None of the girls had ever done a long ocean race together before joining SCA. Sam was not permitted to choose or train her crew until after the actual event started. Before the SCA project started up I think some of the girls had never even raced at night in the oceans! Few of them had ever sailed high perfomance canting keel boats before. Ask youself if any of the other crews had the same situations to deal with? What did you expect to see?

Under the circumstances it was obvious to anyone who knows anything about ocean racing that they would generally come last. Any male crew put together the same way with the same level of experience would have done the same.

Their performance in the event was actually spectacular. They improved steadily, leg by leg, as they got more and more ocean miles under their belts, and they scored a fantastic triumph by winning in the leg to Lorient. Winning a leg means beating all other crews, i.e beating all the men in the event!! If you have forgotten, check out the weather for that leg, check out the tactics and check out the lead at the finish. The girls sailed the tough upwind leg better and more agressively than all the male crews and basically p*****d all over them!

If you followed that and you still feel you own sex is inherently inferior at ocean racing I just think you are missing something!

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
She's presenting on a boat show in Gothenburg this coming Saturday. I'm going, and if she doesn't talk about this new crew rule in her presentation, I'll try to ask her after.
Maybe you should do a facebook live interview with her.

mad

Super Anarchist
You just don't seem to understand just how hard this race is or just how well Sam Davies' crew did in the last VOR. None of the girls had ever done a long ocean race together before joining SCA. Sam was not permitted to choose or train her crew until after the actual event started. Before the SCA project started up I think some of the girls had never even raced at night in the oceans! Few of them had ever sailed high perfomance canting keel boats before. Ask youself if any of the other crews had the same situations to deal with? What did you expect to see?Under the circumstances it was obvious to anyone who knows anything about ocean racing that they would generally come last. Any male crew put together the same way with the same level of experience would have done the same.

Their performance in the event was actually spectacular. They improved steadily, leg by leg, as they got more and more ocean miles under their belts, and they scored a fantastic triumph by winning in the leg to Lorient. Winning a leg means beating all other crews, i.e beating all the men in the event!! If you have forgotten, check out the weather for that leg, check out the tactics and check out the lead at the finish. The girls sailed the tough upwind leg better and more agressively than all the male crews and basically p*****d all over them!

If you followed that and you still feel you own sex is inherently inferior at ocean racing I just think you are missing something!
Who the fuck are you to carry on ranting like this!!!! To anybody, of any gender?

You're tedium has become fucking tiresome and very dull.

Or am I missing something?