VOR Leg 1 Alicante to Lisbon

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
I don't know how accurate these polars are, but just for fun here is very basic routing pic for Vestas from the last update pos.

vestas1.JPG

southerncross

Super Anarchist

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
Hhm, just read on twitter that updates are every 6 hours instead of 4 hours. although the VOR race experts twitter feed is cool, this is a step backward and not forward if SA wants to play around with routing options. Could be a money thing.
Data is cheap.  Once you have the UI, the data collection, whether you display every min or every 24 hours, you pay mainly for the server and maybe bandwidth, but even then, that is hardly expensive for the size/type of audience.  No, I suspect other reasons possibly to do with controlling presentation of data and sponsor placement.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
I don't know how accurate these polars are, but just for fun here is very basic routing pic for Vestas
Don't give up your day job or do you think the earth is flat and going west is really dangerous :)

Last edited by a moderator:

southerncross

Super Anarchist
From 2014 - 2015 Leg 1

Strait of Gibraltar
The gateway to the Atlantic Ocean. It took the fleet two long days of Mediterranean coastal sailing to get there, but they eventually reached the Strait.

And that’s where the first big call of this leg was made: Team SCA chose to tack north and head closer to the coast to avoid the strong currents in the middle of the Strait.The only boat to head in that direction, they took the lead an hour after.

All six other boats kept sailing southwest towards the middle and crossed closer to Morocco.

“The big split happened,” said Libby Greenhalgh at the time, the navigator of the magenta boat. “We couldn’t understand why they would all choose that route – so we stuck to our guns, and got to the Rock several miles ahead.”

It was a bold move, and one that put the girls 21 nautical miles ahead as they became the first boat to escape into the Atlantic Ocean.

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Okay, just read the Volvo post and adjusted accordingly.  This is not going to be pretty after 24 hours or so, from there it goes down hill!

Btw, as I stated earlier, this is BASIC, super basic in fact, using GFS, for 3 hour inters over 5 days.

Bet they would rather have used my first routing even if it was wrong!

vestas1.JPG

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
From 2014 - 2015 Leg 1

Strait of Gibraltar
The gateway to the Atlantic Ocean. It took the fleet two long days of Mediterranean coastal sailing to get there, but they eventually reached the Strait.

And that’s where the first big call of this leg was made: Team SCA chose to tack north and head closer to the coast to avoid the strong currents in the middle of the Strait.The only boat to head in that direction, they took the lead an hour after.

All six other boats kept sailing southwest towards the middle and crossed closer to Morocco.

“The big split happened,” said Libby Greenhalgh at the time, the navigator of the magenta boat. “We couldn’t understand why they would all choose that route – so we stuck to our guns, and got to the Rock several miles ahead.”

It was a bold move, and one that put the girls 21 nautical miles ahead as they became the first boat to escape into the Atlantic Ocean.
I hope Vestas does not read that second half of that leg one story, but they sure followed the first.  Not sure what akzo is doing, but it is not working well.  I get the feeling they are off the pace.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
From 2014 - 2015 Leg 1

Strait of Gibraltar

Thanks for digging that up. Dee's tweet a couple of hours ago reminded me how important Libby's move was for the discussions last time.

1. TurnTheTideOnPlastic‏[SIZE=.9em]Verified account[/SIZE] @TurnTidePlastic  2h2 hours ago

MorCurrently locked in an epic on-the-water battle with @scallywaghk RT if you think we'll come out on top 

DM1pRpIXkAAF0xF.jpg

Ainhoa Sanchez

2.  TurnTheTideOnPlastic Retweeted

Dee Caffari‏[SIZE=.9em]Verified account[/SIZE] @deecaffari  2h2 hours ago

M

Always a risk when you sail away from the group but now we are. O

Miffy

Super Anarchist
It is what happens when your crew is lacking in experience and the your skipper spent his last night on shore taking possession of a boat. 

It is only 30hrs in. They were clearly struggling maintaining pace thru the strait, and one routing error made to avoid another tact and their lead is no more. 

How much cognitive decline and fatigue can you fight off with adrenaline and excitement? Most ppl crash after a day or two. 

Last edited by a moderator:

southerncross

Super Anarchist
It is what happens when your crew is lacking in experience and the your skipper spent his last night on shore taking possession of a boat. 

It is only 30hrs in. They were clearly struggling maintaining pace thru the strait, and one routing error made to avoid another tact and their lead is no more. 
I don't know about all that.  They seem to have some rational for going deeper.

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 7.07.25 PM.png

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
So much for follow the leader at this point.  Vestas is going out to playis the rough and tumble, Akzo hugs the coast and loses miles, MAPFRE in the middle pouring on the coals.  TtT and Scally are kind of locked now in a drag race for a bit and in the above picture, I saw TtT had a tri sail set up at that moment vs SCally's two.  Plus and minuses, but here is a chance to pull back to scally.  Dee's team has shown speed at time.

It had to be tough being in Brunel and DF shoes at the moment. A huge hole to climb out of if they even can.

Latest posts