VOR Leg 1 Alicante to Lisbon

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
I've another good one: Here is the iconic Gibraltar Rock in the foreground with AkzoNobel racing along....

View attachment 247646
......no wonder AZN has had so much grief... haven't they heard how terrible it is to combine purple and green on a sailboat!?   :eek:

Talk about FUGLY!!    What were they thinking!?   :(

Last edited by a moderator:

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
The first 30 Hours of the 2017/2018 VOR have been an absolute disaster for Brunel & Dongfeng. Can they rebound over the next 4-5 Days or so?
REALLY!?  :eek:    

..whether it be 'one day into what is projected to be a six or seven day leg,,, or  the beginning of a fack'n year long race!?                         ...about the most drama-queen comment possible.     :lol:

Quite impressive for the team Vespa  (lads) so far .

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Not to underestimate SiFi as nav, but the aggressive sail choice of Vestas in the Gibraltar crossing seemed more related to Tony Mutter running the show.
It's a bit of both. Vestas had a small edge in boatspeed with the drag race out of the start then SI put them in the fastlane through the straights.

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Meanwhile ...

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 8.07.03 PM.png

Tony-F18

Super Anarchist
+31
About 48 hours from now there will be almost no wind north of the rhumbline and on the nose at that, I think going south early might be painful for now but good in the long run (which is ultimately the one that matters!).

The helicopter livestream was pretty epic IMHO, good job by VOR media team.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Cool.

Will they host a continually-appended, accumulated version too or will they pop out only the incrementals?

Was fantasizing about building an auto-fech-and-loader, so was just curious.
Really not sure. Before, the spreadsheets were available on the website, so one could grab missing ones. I didn't see an option to grab the previous 1300 hr report, so I'm guessing the VOR email channel is all there is. 

You could ask Yann Groleau at geovoile.com, since he may be somewhat open to ideas from others (he also has posted here on SA before, so maybe a PM might work).

[aside] good to see the spreadsheet now includes the waypoint used to calculate the VMGs.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Not really sure where folks are getting their weather data - but the way I'm seeing it, make as much distance via the northern route, taking advantage of Gibraltar effects, plan for 12 hrs of being in a parking lot, sprint to Lisbon in about 48 hours. Going southern route will perhaps give an earlier breeze in 24, but won't be in position to take advantage of it unless you're detouring to Las Palmas.