VOR Leg 1 Alicante to Lisbon

4pines

The every 6 hours isn't awful. For me, the time zone works out that I can check on things in the morning before work, lunch time, and then around dinner. That is about as much as I can handle without totally slacking at work (totally worth it today). 

I think the biggest thing is having the ability to switch to live when interesting tactical situations arise (conversion after a big split, the finish (as they mentioned), etc.)

mad

Super Anarchist
Well, the Leg Finishes really sucked balloons in 14/15 cuz they switched to Live Tracking only for the last 6 Hours or so. Abu Dhabi & Auckland had really close Finishes and couchsurfer & myself were tormetting the Race Control to make it Live earlier which they didn't do. Priror to Abu Dhabi Arrivals Bouwe even had to sent out a Tweet asking if Alicante Race HQ are even awake.

That sucked even more balls I can.
That's really saying something. 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Just for fun:

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 3.07.04 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mayday12

This. This is why the VOR is so cool. 

Looks like I have a new wallpaper image now!
Apprapro of probably nothing - but did anyone else notice during the livefeed shot of Azkonobel from the helicopter off the rock - their yellow hydrogenerator banging around like a screen door in a hurricane? Wonder if it's supposed to do that :) 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
So the local knowledge paid off for VS11, I'da thot MAPF's Vila would have had that edge. But then, Vestas in Cape Town emphasized the work they put into nav prep last time, so SiFi's prep makes sense.

In the weather briefings leading up to Leg 1 from Alicante to Lisbon, the crew made a plan to stick to the coast of Spain on the way out of Alicante to capitalize on the acceleration of pressure that happens as the wind comes off the mountains in that region. "It was discussed as an opportunity to make gains as this is not seen in the weather models," said Anderson Reggio, navigational support for the team.

Vestas 11th Hour Racing and AkzoNobel were the only two boats that split from the fleet and sailed in that direction, and the plan of attack paid off. They crossed the fleet and headed south to Gibralter and entered the Straight at 1510 UTC covering nearly 300 miles in 24 hours.
https://vestas11thhourracing.com/media/news/leading-through-gibralter

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
So MAPF on a different gybe than AKZN, but gained a couple of miles. VS11 still running away happily. 

22:24 spreadsheet came through, same as tracker time.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
I was just checking the SIs for update info, and it looks like the boats only get 2 fleet updates?

1. [SIZE=10pt]27.11  [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]The AIS shall remain powered on and transmitting at all times while Racing[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]28. POSITION REPORTS ON A LEG [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=10pt]28.1  [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Race control will attempt to send a fleet position report in .TXT format to all Boats at approximately 0115 and 1315UTC. Failure to receive such information is not grounds for redress. This changes RRS 62.1 (a). [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=10pt]28.2  [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Should the Boats automated position reporting fail, the Boat shall report its position to race control, giving, course, boat speed, wind speed and direction at 0045 or 1245 UTC until the equipment is repaired or until the Boat finishes. [/SIZE]

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Haven't checked if their AIS equipment changed (some new items for the grab bag, I think), so assume standard VHF range is still in play. Nothing about Sat AIS that I could find. 

Regretting the loss of the AIS 'bubble' option on the tracker :)

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
That was Facebook, and I tried the same trick, but couldn't select the video address. No matter--clicking on the post takes you to the video (Good summary of the impending tactics).

Hope we see more unscheduled reports like this.

Latest posts