VOR Leg 1 Alicante to Lisbon

rogerfal

Super Anarchist
Cornwall
Looks like Vestas may have sailed into the wind shadow a bit but top 3 now all gybed to starboard and heading right looking downwind.

Will they stay that side? - My vote yes - We'll see...

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
Posts like this ^^^^ not too long ago, you would be ridiculed, even called a  misogynist by some. Seems Capt Lunatic may well have a good nose for PR afterall.
I don't think any PR people could tell Witty how to act.... :)   Yep, as I predicted this will be the most entertaining team. Hoping that also Brunel will display some personality, like they did last time. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
At the moment  Blair Tuke on the Spanish Fly looks to be in a better position than Peter Burling on Brunel to be the one that takes out the triple crown (Olympics, AC & VOR). Maybe Bouwe's current problems start with one of his short course/flat water driver's not keeping the freeze dried down? 

While together for the Olympics and AC, for this race these two NZer's are seperated so if Tuke keeps this up and beats his boss, he maybe looking for a job after this. 

Last edited by a moderator:

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
@ bucc,

I told you it would be only a matter of time before Dongfeng would pass Scallywag. Time for Charles & Pascal to hunt down AkzoNobel now.
Indeed, now if only they could have dragged Brunel and TtT along with.  It would make my day to see Scally with a 7 on her back.  Vestas will have their work cut out to hold off MAPFRE and DF, but perhaps what favors them, if they hold the lead, the lighter winds towards the finish.  Strikes me that Vestas is strong in the light to mid winds.  Gains will be hard to get, tough racing all around.  Given leg 1as a true preview of the whole, this will be one hell of a race.

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
How many times has the winner of leg 1 won the whole race? All?
I took it to mean leg 1 race, but good point.  It does seem they  are dominating this leg and will be hard to be.  However, having MAPFRE nipping at the heels will either inspire more speed or have them not think about their race and focus on MAPFRE...never a good thing in OD racing.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
How many times has the winner of leg 1 won the whole race? All?
Since abolition of handicaps and mixed fleets and where overall win was line honours after 93/94,  the Leg 1 winner has won around half or all but 3 races. ABN AMRO 1 in 05/06 (came 2nd leg 1), Ericson in 08/09 (came 3rd leg 1) and Groupama in 11/12 (came 3rd leg 1). 

So come 1st in Leg 1 you have around 50/50 chance of taking out the title. Arguably now with OD and more bullet proof boats the odds are probably higher and as occured in last/first OD edition. 

You could also argue that winning a short more heavily contested leg like this one with a more narrow delta spread increases the odds of winning overall even further.

Last edited by a moderator:

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Vestas has a nice position to protect their lead to the mark.  But Mapfre has got the BS on them.  Tight at the mark.  We'll see.

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.39.59 PM.png

ct800

--
Vestas has a nice position to protect their lead to the mark.  But Mapfre has got the BS on them.  Tight at the mark.  We'll see.
A gybe is imminent. And if Mapfre truly has that edge, which is mentioned by the Racexperts video, by sailing 2-3 degs lower, they might run them down. If they manage to keep their AIS separation "distance" by choosing another lane on port tack, they could have a chance.