VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
The tracker uses the "closest to the finish" rule to determine who is ahead at any particular time, and as we have seen, this leads to odd situations. As I write, Brunel is crossing some distance ahead of TToP,  but is listed as behind. 

So the question is: what is the better way when the optimum course is far from the great circle course?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
The tracker uses the "closest to the finish" rule to determine who is ahead at any particular time, and as we have seen, this leads to odd situations. As I write, Brunel is crossing some distance ahead of TToP,  but is listed as behind. 

So the question is: what is the better way when the optimum course is far from the great circle course?
"closest to the finish via the next virtual waypoint rule" works well enough for tackers and gybers, but agree that a better calculation would be appreciated. The Virtual Eye system works well enough to see who is 'ahead' when on opposite tacks, as seen in the in-port racing, so maybe the equivalent system could be used on trackers.

So, the Virtual Eye system which constantly updates rankings seems better.

FWIW, the Report on 06/11/2017 at 16:24:00 UTC gave us the anomaly of SHKS measured against one waypoint, and the others via the Dakar waypoint. 

Position Team  Hour UTC Waypoint

Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag

16:17 UTC

Cabo Blanco 1

Dongfeng Race Team

16:18 UTC

Dakar

MAPFRE

Dakar

Team AkzoNobel

Dakar

Vestas 11th Hour Racing

Dakar

Turn The Tide on Plastic

Dakar

Team Brunel

Dakar

mad

Super Anarchist
The optimum Course would be along the white rhumb line you see on the Tracker. But that would leave you in a much, much, much more difficult lane to cross the Doldrums after the Cape Vert Islands so everyone trying to go west as fast as they can for a much more moderate and easier Doldrum crossing.
Well done from planet obvious. 

4pines

Seems like Volvo could put a "virtual waypoint" on the tracker for these types of legs just to give us a better sense of gains and loses...

mad

Super Anarchist
Seems like Volvo could put a "virtual waypoint" on the tracker for these types of legs just to give us a better sense of gains and loses...
What's the point if they don't have to round the waypoint? 

Has this thread become a competition for the stupid?  

Last edited by a moderator:

Miffy

Super Anarchist

No. 

the finish is the finish and there's no way to determine this far out with so much uncertainty in weather and current forecasts 2 weeks out whether someone is in the lead when they're all within 4 hours reach of each other. 

Artificial waypoints will be just illusions to help the nervous instant gratification types who bother with moment in time speed reading to fidget some fake notion when they can really just look at 4hr/12hr/24hr distances, weather and get a sense of what the boats are trying to achieve. 

4pines

No. 

the finish is the finish and there's no way to determine this far out with so much uncertainty in weather and current forecasts 2 weeks out whether someone is in the lead when they're all within 4 hours reach of each other. 

Artificial waypoints will be just illusions to help the nervous instant gratification types who bother with moment in time speed reading to fidget some fake notion when they can really just look at 4hr/12hr/24hr distances, weather and get a sense of what the boats are trying to achieve. 
I am probably being an idiot, but is the 4hr/12hr/24hr distances available on the tracker and I just can't find or do I need to get an email with that info?

4pines

No probably about it, you are 
That's helpful.... You realize that sitting here on my phone looking at Gain/loss with a snap shot of angle/speed of these boats makes it a tad challenging to get a gauge on who is making real progress and what not...

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
I am probably being an idiot, but is the 4hr/12hr/24hr distances available on the tracker and I just can't find or do I need to get an email with that info?
they used to be on the Dashboard but now not even in the emailed spreadsheet, nor the Chrome plug-in.

Once there's a chance of someone setting a 24 hr record, maybe we'll see that stat somewhere. 

southerncross

Super Anarchist
they used to be on the Dashboard but now not even in the emailed spreadsheet, nor the Chrome plug-in.

Once there's a chance of someone setting a 24 hr record, maybe we'll see that stat somewhere. 
Do you think they frown on any effort to circumnavigate the tracker?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Do you think they frown on any effort to circumnavigate the tracker?
I hoped not, dreading a repeat of the Vendee tracker kerfuffle. With the media streams opening up, I'd hoped Mark Turner would have also opened up the data. Don't know why the telemetry needs to be so restricted for a one-design fleet.

Guess data is the new oil, and the efforts to monopolize too attractive to many business models. I was sorry to see Navionics sold to Garmin. Their open data made many trackers better. Wonder how long that will last.