VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Not seeing Azko doing anything but try to stay in touch with the leaders.

As for those wondering about a waypoint! We don't need no stink'n waypoints. Look who is getting downwind the fastest, while trying to get west.

sunol

Is Azko splitting off?  AIS update anyone?  
Yes. They are more concerned with west then south.

image.png

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Not seeing Azko doing anything but try to stay in touch with the leaders.

As for those wondering about a waypoint! We don't need no stink'n waypoints. Look who is getting downwind the fastest, while trying to get west.
Snicker. Who needs updates? Just wait and see who gets to CT first. 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
I think they're onto us.  I now get an error message:
Grrr. 

Thanks Hitch, for your efforts. Real nav contributions in these threads made SA the best way to follow the race. (only get a little fun following the trolling, posturing, posing and bombast).

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Looking forward 4 days - expect the boats to SSW or even as far S as possible without losing too much apparent wind to maximize beam reach in 2-3 days time. There's a massive high pressure developing that'll be perfectly situated between Brasil and South Africa. Turn left too early and you'll be sailing stuck and then sailing upwind until everyone has had haircuts in Cape Town. In about a week there'll be a perfect low pressure to follow - but need to get to about 25 degrees S (~3400 nm in a week). 

Rich will get richer.

ct800

--
Message to VOR Media HQ:

Could you please distribute a small portion of hydrophobic coating (or film) among the OBRs for the next leg, so they can apply it to the onboard cameras?

Thanks,

Alysun

Australia
The Volvo has won back a lot of supporters with the heli footage. 

The thing that shits me the most is not the conditions but how wet the crew gets. And I mean their clothing. I know I never stay dry offshore, even with HPX smocks,  but to get soaked all the way through on the first night and not being able to dry out until the equator is not much fun! 

mad

Super Anarchist
That's helpful.... You realize that sitting here on my phone looking at Gain/loss with a snap shot of angle/speed of these boats makes it a tad challenging to get a gauge on who is making real progress and what not...
Try sitting onboard in the nav seat of any of the boats and see how challenging that is! 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Mark Turner celebrating the raw feeds. Wish he'd jump on whomever is pissing upstream on the raw data feeds. I liked the way he backed openness when he was managing DFRT last time, and glad to see more openness in the media streams this time. Wish he'd say why the data stream is currently suffering some strange constrictions (plug-in, expedition), despite Live tracker increases and the RaceExpert feed.

Laser1

Super Anarchist
Westcountry
I'm taking your Q stiffler. Mate Witty is not heading into Santo, he will be leaving it on his port side. He would not gybe south now and leave it to starboard due to wind shadow. Scroll  up about the discussion re maybe he or others going between Santo and Maderia. 
Mumble... mumble .... point taken.

Back to the scheduled program.