VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

mad

Super Anarchist
Looking forward 4 days - expect the boats to SSW or even as far S as possible without losing too much apparent wind to maximize beam reach in 2-3 days time. There's a massive high pressure developing that'll be perfectly situated between Brasil and South Africa. Turn left too early and you'll be sailing stuck and then sailing upwind until everyone has had haircuts in Cape Town. In about a week there'll be a perfect low pressure to follow - but need to get to about 25 degrees S (~3400 nm in a week). 

Rich will get richer.
Thanks Miffy, something constructive for a change. 

Maybe be somebody could plot some virtual waypoints onto the leading and trailing edges of the frontal systems as they move in. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
Oregon
Pretty silly to post status by the tracker when the waypoint is meaningless.  But it does give the assholes another opportunity to beat up the newbies and honest questioners.  

Seems to me that it would be easy to average the top half of the fleet's VMG over the last 12 hours or so to determine the direction the fleet is moving and use that vector to determine position.

Flame away.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Thanks Miffy, something constructive for a change. 

Maybe be somebody could plot some virtual waypoints onto the leading and trailing edges of the frontal systems as they move in. 
Here in 1 week. If I were VOR media team, and someone held me at spoon-point demanding a way to see who is leading, I'd set a waypoint at 25 south, 35 west. Any boat that doesn't make that low pressure system won't see another until 3 days later. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

123.png

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
they used to be on the Dashboard but now not even in the emailed spreadsheet, nor the Chrome plug-in.

Once there's a chance of someone setting a 24 hr record, maybe we'll see that stat somewhere. 
Correction: 24 hrs is in the spreadsheet, and the Chrome Plug-in is now working again.

From the spreadsheet:

Rank

Team

At position

Hour UTC

Latitude

Longitude

DTF

DTL

Gain/Loss

24h run

Waypoint

Dongfeng Race Team

20:30 UTC

32°48.04'N

17°22.45'W

4667.3 nm

0.0 nm

11.6 nm

391.1 nm

Dakar

MAPFRE

32°50.70'N

17°17.33'W

4670.0 nm

2.7 nm

10.1 nm

386.3 nm

Dakar

Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag

20:29 UTC

33°04.55'N

17°07.03'W

4684.1 nm

16.7 nm

-16.7 nm

378.3 nm

Dakar

Vestas 11th Hour Racing

33°09.59'N

17°33.42'W

4688.8 nm

21.5 nm

9.9 nm

388.8 nm

Dakar

Team Brunel

33°15.94'N

17°24.00'W

4695.2 nm

27.9 nm

-3.6 nm

376.1 nm

Dakar

Turn The Tide on Plastic

33°26.53'N

17°19.72'W

4705.9 nm

38.5 nm

2.6 nm

371.8 nm

Dakar

Team AkzoNobel

33°35.47'N

17°57.16'W

4714.9 nm

47.6 nm

-16.9 nm

386.7 nm

Dakar

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Here in 1 week. If I were VOR media team, and someone held me at spoon-point demanding a way to see who is leading, I'd set a waypoint at 25 south, 35 west. Any boat that doesn't make that low pressure system won't see another until 3 days later. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

View attachment 249076
Thanks. I wondered when/ if you were going to show some support for your earlier interesting claim. (Apologies for not knowing the reliability of your navisight: there's a lot of chaff to filter on the thread).

btw, was sure handy in the past when tracker positions were overlaid on Windy maps, and was easy to switch amongst weather layers and models).

Team_GBR

Super Anarchist
The Medal Race
Just waiting for Dongfeng and Mapfre to gybe. Can't be long now or else they will get the island wind shadow. Dongfeng will be in a very strong position with a controlling position on the fleet, banking some west with little chance of being caught by a tactical decision. So far, they have sailed a textbook race tactically, proving the old adage about "power in the west". These 2 boats are the class acts of the fleet and I think they will be consistently battling it out at the front with the others taking it in turns to attempt to "play with the big boys": Dongfeng and Mapfre will probably sail a different style of race to the others, because they know that what they need is consistency in results.

mad

Super Anarchist
Pretty silly to post status by the tracker when the waypoint is meaningless.  But it does give the assholes another opportunity to beat up the newbies and honest questioners.  

Seems to me that it would be easy to average the top half of the fleet's VMG over the last 12 hours or so to determine the direction the fleet is moving and use that vector to determine position.

Flame away.
Or people can do a little of their own research, rather than waiting to be spoon fed! 

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Nice one. 
Not sure any boat will make it to 25S/35W in 7 days?  That's approximately 3500 miles as the crow flies not including the Westing etc.  

They'd have to average 20+knts a day to make it there in 7 days while crossing the Pot du Noir.

mad

Super Anarchist
Not sure any boat will make it to 25S/35W in 7 days?  That's approximately 3500 miles as the crow flies not including the Westing etc.  

They'd have to average 20+knts a day to make it there in 7 days while crossing the Pot du Noir.
Nobody said they would, my comment based on Miffys written and visual explanation to some of the navigationly challenged here.

Miffy

Super Anarchist

We will see! There isn't much more west to go unless they want to fight upwind and against the current from SE. 

It might seem like a stretch but recognize this is a 7 day forecast. If you're plus minus 18hrs it'll make a world of difference. But stragglers will definitely be screwed if the leaders trail the low pressure and they get caught out and have to wait 3 days. 

southerncross

Super Anarchist
We will see! There isn't much more west to go unless they want to fight upwind and against the current from SE. 

It might seem like a stretch but recognize this is a 7 day forecast. If you're plus minus 18hrs it'll make a world of difference. But stragglers will definitely be screwed if the leaders trail the low pressure and they get caught out and have to wait 3 days. 
If you mean no more Westing than 35 I'd agree.  Just saying from their current 18W there are some additional miles to sail.

If lucky and they find a lane, it is possible to get through the doldrums relatively quickly.  We will see.