VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Hence why I thought that'll be a better leaderboard waypoint. You don't have to get there in a week, but the forecasts seem to agree you can't really turn left any earlier. If boats don't make the system the fleet will just compress. No big deal. 

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Tracker just updated.

Madeira wind shadow should look something like this (not realtime).

Could be that  Mapfre gybed just a bit too late, just guessing. 

Source:   http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1942-2466

Interesting stuff, makes my head spin even more then this thread.

madeira windshadow.jpg

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Yep.  Tracker update.

Most falling in line behind Mapfre.  

Akzo skirting the edge of the pressure, north and not that far west.  Hmm.  A tale of two skippers?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Curious about MAPF's speed, so checked their last 1/2 hour. Seemed their wind was much more erratic than most.

Boat Speed for the last 1/2 hour (ouch) newplot (3).png

Wind speed (hmm; DFRT's turn? AKZO looking good?)

newplot (4).png

Team_GBR

Super Anarchist
The Medal Race
Tracker updated and I kinda can't believe what I'm seeing. Looks like Dongfeng has nailed it. That didn't seem likely a few Hours ago.
Accidentally clicked on the wrong page and this stared straight out at me. Your BS has been incredible all leg, from comments about how Mapfre were helming/trimming better to Dongfeng going the wrong way. Funny how many of the commentators elsewhere were saying the exact opposite to you. As soon as Dongfeng managed to bank a bit of west over Mapfre without giving up very much at all, they were in the controlling position.As has been suggested, go play the Volvo race game and then you can see how your "brilliant" strategies would really work out. 

Dongfeng as gone from what you claimed was a weak position and not sailing as well to being in control and going better than Mapfre. The reality is that any speed differences between the 2 are more likely to have been due to localised conditions or marginally different boat optimisation than better helming/trimming. I truly believe the overall race is between these 2 and it will all come down to route or fate.

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Steif,  Not sure if you knew but if you double click the Team you can isolate the graph for each boat.  Doesn't work with polars oddly.

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 12.06.27 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Steif,  Not sure if you knew but if you double click the Team you can isolate the graph for each boat.  Doesn't work with polars oddly.
Thanks--didn't notice. Too busy trying to find out why the export to Plotly wasn't working, and how to get the lat/longs to send to Windy :)

rogerfal

Super Anarchist
Cornwall
Well just got in from work n the pub.

Fess up to laughing at some of the previous 12 hours comment and stoicism being displayed. I'd probably be in the dock for murder by drowning... by now.

What I don't get is how some of you are gathering the data and interpolating it.

In any case tis ell of a race........

rogerfal

Super Anarchist
Cornwall
Really

Must read the NOR, SI's and amendments but in a nutshell is there a precis re stealth mode?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Well just got in from work n the pub.

Fess up to laughing at some of the previous 12 hours comment and stoicism being displayed. I'd probably be in the dock for murder by drowning... by now.

What I don't get is how some of you are gathering the data and interpolating it.

In any case tis ell of a race........
Some data feed links:

Windy? Remora? Chrome Plug-In?

Other?

[OT[ Haven't met a British pub I didn't like . . .  but Cornwall's St Kew's Inn treated us really well in September.

rogerfal

Super Anarchist
Cornwall
Must get out more. St Kew North from here.

I'll pay some attention n see if I can come back with some intelligence.

Thanks.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
I got a message on wechat 17 hours ago "It's a race of navigators and Mapfre Joan Vila seems brilliant in it. What do the Spanish know, and the French on DFRT missed?"

I simply replied "You think?"

I agree the tracker dashboard would show a ore accurate performance assessment if is showed how far from the last turning point as it even says at the bottom "Great Circle" and makes no adjustment for where in the TCZ they will cross or circle the St Helena high

Still all to play for in my humble opinion

SS

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Steif, If you want to compare two boats, double click one and then single click the other.
Got it--quite useful. Setting the slider at the bottom allows a focus on just a smaller length of time works even with 2 boats selected.

btw, the Remora beta is still active (cool tool): for example, just plugged in MAPFs latest position and used Miffy's waypoint to see how long it would take them to get there (IMOCA polars, sure, but close enough for a quick check). Here's the result:

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 7.11.45 PM.png