VOR Leg 3 Cape Town to Melbourne and the Great Land Down Under

southerncross

Super Anarchist
For the first time in a while it took me some time to get through all the content.  Even Randy made a few.  Thanks for keeping up the good posts.   

mdeh

Akzo speed at latest 13.00 update is 15.5 kn. only, compared to the others 22-25 kn. 

Gone cost them dearly, very sad !
Just reported on VOR:

Damage to the track that attaches the mainsail to the back edge of the mast on team AkzoNobel’s Volvo Ocean 65 race boat has forced the crew to slow the boat down as the sailors assess the problem and try to identify potential repair options.

The damage, which was reported to Volvo Ocean Race control by email from team AkzoNobel navigator Jules Salter (GBR) this morning, happened as the crew was in fourth place, gybing along the Antarctic Ice Exclusion Zone (AIEZ) in 35 knots of wind and big seas.

During one gybe from starboard to port the mainsail track on the mast was damaged in two places. The sailors were able to lower the mainsail and turn the boat away from the AIEZ and are continuing to race using the boat’s forward sails only.

There are no reports of any injuries on board as a result of the damage and the crew is liaising with Volvo Ocean Race’s race control staff and the team’s land based technical shore crew to establish what repair options are available to them.

Standby for further updates as we get them.

Potter

Super Anarchist
To answer my own question, Boat Captain Nicolai Sehested probably, perhaps together with Nicho ?

And yes, the conditions are very tough indeed.
Nicolai, backed up by Brad Farrand.

I really would not want to be dealing with a mast repair in that sea state!

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Except Akzonobel sailing under headsails only because the mast-track came off in 2 places after a gybe.
 Shit giblet or not, Bicey, Neil Cox and the Southern Spars rep in Capetown are going to get shirt fronted by Teapot big time in Melbourne over this. Watch this space.

Last edited by a moderator:

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Donfeng lost their mast track in two place last time didn't they?

ct800

--
Looks bad for Akzo :(  With no main, they won't have the boat speed to outrun the "eye", unless it dives more to the south. With wave state increasing and steady 35-40 knots, not much chance to pull a crew member onto the mast for the fixes...

Good luck for them nevertheless.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
I think I'm getting all wet....

When Charlie came down after his watch he sat on the engine box and slumped in exhaustion, then made a comment to TJ about not being able to make the boat go slower than 30 knots for an uncomfortably long period of time."When it's really windy like this maneuvers are really expensive," says Charlie. "When you know it's the right thing to do, but the right thing to do takes two hours and 100% of everybody's effort, sometimes it's hard to reach that conclusion. Lucky for us we bit the bullet and have stayed in touch with the group."According to Sifi, our highest recorded gust has been 50 knots and our top recorded boat speed has been 38 knots. I didn't know they could go faster than 33.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Shang more than you think is my guess...don't ever be mislead by ones own desire to tell all and everyone to join in.. remember the Old Norse saying..."silent but strong waters run deep".
Yep. I don't have near the sea miles of some around here and have spent 7 days with nothing less than 35kts on the anemometer in the North Atlantic. Gusts to 55 were a regular occurrence, and we had the sea state to go with it (20 foot waves with 10 foot breakers on top of that). When your 15 ton lead sled is hitting 20 kts under storm sails you know you're neck deep in some shit and its best to put the pro drivers on the helm to keep the old girl in one piece....Comanche set the current 24 hour monohull record on the leading edge of this same storm btw, but they also stayed further south to avoid the 40 and 50 kt pressure zones. The lack of sunlight for such long periods of time is what can really drive a man/woman mad, and the big reason I would hesitate to take a trip through the Southern Ocean.

Right now I'm feeling for the guys on AkzoNobel, just dealing with getting the main down and possibly off the track in those conditions is a huge undertaking and possibly race ending as its easy to loose a critical bit such as a car pin, ball bearings out of the cars etc.

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Pretty.

Leg 3, Cape Town to Melbourne, day 05, on board Turn the Tide on Plastic. Photo by Jeremie Lecaudey/Volvo Ocean Race. 14 December, 2017.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 1.43.28 PM.png

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Looks bad for Akzo
Looks bad..how about totally fucking fucked and their biggest worry now is getting to a pitstop that precludes lift outs in time to fix insitue and start the next leg. Love to be the Southern Spars guy signing off on that fixit program without pulling the rig out.

The Pussywheeler genius who decided to accept Scallywags entry with Melbourne as a condition, then decided that this Southern Ocean leg finish was a pit stop only, should now sit on a large pineapple.Having regard for the length of Legs 3 and 4 together just in miles, let alone where they have been? Make that two pineapples up his or her arse.

Having said that the Paintspot drama is probably only the first to happen now I suspect, with this pitstop constraint in mind.

Gone Drinking

Super Anarchist
I think I'm getting all wet....

When Charlie came down after his watch he sat on the engine box and slumped in exhaustion, then made a comment to TJ about not being able to make the boat go slower than 30 knots for an uncomfortably long period of time."When it's really windy like this maneuvers are really expensive," says Charlie. "When you know it's the right thing to do, but the right thing to do takes two hours and 100% of everybody's effort, sometimes it's hard to reach that conclusion. Lucky for us we bit the bullet and have stayed in touch with the group."According to Sifi, our highest recorded gust has been 50 knots and our top recorded boat speed has been 38 knots. I didn't know they could go faster than 33.
Wow 

Latest posts